Ronnie O'Brien?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by drace768, Jun 7, 2005.

1. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I have not visited this board before, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed. Why does it appear that Ronnie O'Brien is of no interest to the Ireland national team?

I have watched him play for Dallas for the last 3 1/2 years and he just keeps getting better. Last year he was the best right-mid in the league and so far this season he is one of the best players period. He played on some the Ireland youth teams, so he is known. I know Ireland has several good players in the EPL, but unless your Brazil, you call up Ronnie O'Brien for at least a look! Any explanation why he is overlooked??

2. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
  3. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the info.... sounds like Ronnie and the Irish FA got sideways and neither side is looking to make ammends. Sad for both, since he is becoming a great player. I find it ridiculous that any FA the level of Ireland would let playing outside the British Isles make that big a difference.

4. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If O'Brien could get a move back to the Premiership, then mabye. But by the admission of many Americans on this site, MLS is at about the same level as the English Coca Cola Championship. I've never seen an MLS match, so I can't comment. Fact is, many players who have looked brilliant at Championship level (like David Connolly) for the most part haven't been up to it at internationial level. The question you have to ask yourself is: Is Ronnie O'Brien better than Damien Duff or Andy Reid? Or Stephen Reid or Steve Finnan? All quality Premiership players who would be competing for right of midfield for Ireland. All due respects to him, but I'm quite confident he isn't.

5. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I am not saying Ronnie better than these players, but at least playing at a level that justifies a look in a friendly to see how he does. While I don't know much about Stephen Reid and only know a little more about Andy Reid, I do have the opinion that O'Brien is more technically gifted than Finnan and close to Duff. Finnan is bigger and stronger on the defensive side but O'Brien is quicker and has better recovery. IMO O'Brien has a better outside shot than any of the four and is a great crosser of the ball. If O'Brien was a US citizen he would receive regular call ups.

6. Here We Go21

Here We Go21 New Member

Apr 18, 2000
    I am not saying Ronnie better than these players, but at least playing at a level that justifies a look in a friendly to see how he does. While I don't know much about Stephen Reid and only know a little more about Andy Reid, I do have the opinion that O'Brien is more technically gifted than Finnan and close to Duff. Finnan is bigger and stronger on the defensive side but O'Brien is quicker and has better recovery. IMO O'Brien has a better outside shot than any of the four and is a great crosser of the ball. If O'Brien was a US citizen he would receive regular call ups.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No chance that OBrien is more gifted than Finnan. If OBrien is so good how come he is not still in England. Finnan makes about 5 times than Ronnie makes, if OBrien was good enough he would have caught on with somebody in England. What do you mean OBrien is quicker compared to players in MLS this maybe so. Finnan has to mark players like Kaka Crespo Shevenchenko Goggs , Ronaldo those kind of players would eat OBrien alive.

7. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    British Isles? It's as simple as playing outside of Britain makes that big a difference. Look at the team over the past few days, scrambling for a right back while the best available one we had sat at home, in Dublin, training with Shelbourne. A player who has played against Deportivo and got MOTM in a champions league match, a player who has proved himself for Shels consistently every time he has pulled on the red jersey and who has stood out against teams like the already mentioned Deportivo, Lille, Bronby, Hajduk Split and Rosenborg in competitive European games and many more besides, but is still consistently ignored and as of yet uncapped by the Irish team who last saturday had to play an already out of position left back at right back, which was one of the main reasons we didn't get the win.

8. Here We Go21

Here We Go21 New Member

Apr 18, 2000
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Hey I respect your position. The reasonI saw that Ireland did not the get the win was not on account of the right or left back. The reason Ireland only got the draw was because they missed a couple of sitters. You are not going to tell me that Brian Kerr would overlook a player just because he played in LOI. I really would need a lot of convincing on that one.
    Just a question if the player you are talking about is so good. Why is he still in Dublin instead of making big money in England.

9. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Our right back on the night was our worst player by a long shot, and was directly at fault for their second goal.

Brian Kerr has at no point shown that he's willing to look at someone in the LOI, so why would this suprise you?

Why go abroad when he's on money that can only be topped by top first divison/premiership clubs here, can stay in his hometown and can play in european matches?

10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I've got to agree with Slash...although I am quite surprised that Kerr with his LOI background and his past with youth teams would take such a view with talented LOI players.
    As for O'Brien, I am one of bigger Irish fans. I have seen enough of his play with Dallas over the last few years that I believe he should be given a shot. He is very consistant with his play and always scores a number of classy goals. Yeah yeah yeah, sure he not playing for Chelsea or Man Utd but he is as good as Kavanagh, Holland and a few others on the team.
    But unfortunately as far as Kerr is concerned, the world revolves around the Premiership and nothing else matters. If O'Brien was eligible to play for the US, I have no doubt Arena would be playing him often such is his stature over here.

11. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Have you seen O'Brien play? If not, you might want to consider that before you judge a player. Playing in the EPL is not the end all of professional soccer. First, I said O'Brien is more "technically" gifted than Finan. Meaning he is better with the ball at his feat and in passing. Finan is a superior two way player and is bigger and stronger, while O'Brien is better going forward. I would guess most who have seen O'Brien and Finan play would say O'Brien is a quicker player.

12. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    Let me set this straight:

MLS is better than the Coca Cola League -
    MLS Clubs would beat and be very competitive w/ the likes of West Brom, Soto, Portsmouth, etc...basicallly the bottom 6-7 Prem clubs. As you go higher up the league well then it becomes a money difference so obviously MLS is a capped league and a different playing ground.

Do not for a second compare some LOI player to R O'Brien...Shells or whoever wouldn't crack A - League American soccer.

Ronnie O'Brien is better than both Reid's and is more dynamic than Finnan, (who is a better all round player , more of a solid player, less flash,,, whereas O'B can score from 25-30 yards out)

Not looking at O.B. is beyond Asinine it's a travesty...

13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    1. No it's not.
    2. Shelbourne would be competitive (around lower to mid table) in the Championship and MLS IMO.
    3. I wish Ronnie O'Brien was played in a few friendlies but I would not pick him to start based on his MLS play.

14. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I bow to your obviously far superior knowledge of the league of ireland and shells, whoever they are.

15. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    It's not even a comparison...the MLS is better than every Division in England except the Prem...
    Of course you can find some very good players in the CC and but you can find more Prem quality in the MLS....there are many players who could play in the Prem right now.
    When you have the likes of John O'Shea, PNeville , G Doherty, NButt, etc etc on and on ...Complete crap , playing in the Prem...you can easily replace them with more than a handful from the MLS...

16. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    Here's a Newsflash for ya....The LOI is a comedic joke around the world...."Semi Pro Players" ...Plumbers by Nite Footballers by Day??
    And you want to compare this to WHAT??? Please....Ireland is too small and to poor of a half, of country to pay players for a real league...The local Pub sponsor isn't likely to bring any top flight talent in anytime soon....

17. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Well I don't know what league of Ireland you watch with semi pro teams like "shells" with star strikers as plumbers but I must have missed it so far, obviously my fault so.

18. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    You're talking one club....the LOI is considered a Semi Pro league.

19. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    By experts like yourself? Super.

20. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    NO by your own FAI and Sports Information Bureau:
    http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/miscspor.htm

21. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Half the teams in the premier aren't semi pro and the rest are half and half, so the handfull of players thing is simply way off. I know it can't compete with the MLS, whos sides would destroy mere premiership opposition with absolute ease as you've pointed out, but it's still fine the way it is.

On reading that, it's both completley out of date and written by someone who admits they know nothing about what they're talking about, most of it is factually laughabley wrong. A logical choice for someone like yourself to get their info from there.

22. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    Ah, the White Flag....I accept your surrender...no, I NEVER said MLS could compete with the top flight..I did say they could compete with the cellar dwellers....don't exaggerate....and lie....When you've been beaten in a debate you never had a shot at winning to begin with, b/c it makes you look even more misinformed / blind.
    You cannot argue FACT. The LOI is semi Pro - FACT. Victory to B.A.

23. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    A minority of players in the league are semi pro, what exactly is your point here anyway?

24. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    My point is - you tried to make as if I was making up the FACT that the LOI is considered a semi Pro League. Which I was not.
    My other point is....b/c a guy scores 70 goals in some Sunday Beer league in Ireland means very little when a guy lik ROB is top of his game in the States...
    The guy deserves more than a shot...HE'S NEEDED DESPERATELY.

25. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    No, I tried to make out as if you don't know a thing about the league therefor can't actually comment on the standard of it.