Ronaldinho in his prime, has there ever been a better player in technique?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by R_9-Ronaldo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. worms

worms Red Card

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How many times did Messi touch the ball in this clip? I tried to count but couldn't work it out, the first piece of skill he does if you look closely he touches it about 4 or 5 times in one move. Definitley the best dribbling ability ever.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Long range passing. Much better through balls.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    well you MIXED UP the term: do it better vs could NOT do!

Ronaldinho ofcourse did have great vision passing, especially thru ball (and that's how he was famous for being a "play maker" ! His long pass is just above average nothing great though. Beckham, Platini, Zico, Maradona, Zidane , Pirlo, Garrincha, Didi ... alot were way better than him in this category.

Overall we shall "safely say" Ronaldinho had "better passing ability" than Ronaldo - SURE
    but it did NOT mean Ronaldo could NOT do that! Did you ever watch a lot of Ronaldo's?
    - Ronaldo was very very good in thru pass and flipping pass (which Ronaldinho owed to copy and make it better)
    - Ronaldo did (not a lot) very very good crosss in (at Inter and Real) Ronaldinho was not so good in crossing in !

For example:
    Ronaldinho passing is 9 as "BETTER" than Ronaldo passing is 8.25
    Now COULD NOT do = below 5

======================================

For your info Ronaldo had BETTER assist rate than Ronaldinho in Brazil shirt - FACT

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When comparing highly skilled players, it's pointless to try to find a skill a player "can't do". Instead you have to compare what each one does better. Not to mention that these 2 players played different positions although in some departments, they had similar skill set.

Ronaldinho couldn't cross ? You must mean he didn't go to the end line and cross. He never was a winger. But his crossing ability, in general, was better than Ronaldo. So you must mean that Ronaldo in his young days, used to go wide, beat a player, and pass the ball back to another player.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That's exactly what I meant.
    Ronaldo became a great CF (main and lone striker) for big teams since 19. But if he HAD TO go wide, he did just great as any good winger (better than CR7, Ronaldinho, Robben, Riberry ...) in this regard ; yes running deep to end line and cross in -
    plus Ronaldo could run on either side - thanks to his true 2 footed. Ronaldinho , Rivaldo, Henry, Ribeery ... stuck more on the left, while Robben Messi were better on the right ...

However, like I said those games were limited in number since he was always the main striker!

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Here some of R9 passing skills .. (thruballs, flipping , threaded pass ... square pass, blinded pass ,,,)
    Look close if the team mates could have scored half of his passes, his assists will be the best among all FW/strikers

7. worms

worms Red Card

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why are people now discussing passing? Isn't this thread meant to be about ball control?

8. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    4 touches in 0,8 seconds, here's slowmo

[​IMG]

worms repped this.
  9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    because some here underated R9's passing ability ... ( in ball control and dribbling he was well appreciated though - obviously)

Passing could be an "art" and part of "techniques" - Look
    - how Garrincha/Figo/Overmars can "bend" in crossing from deep flank? that's techniques
    - how Ronaldo/Ronaldinho can suddenly stop (from runing) and "flip" the ball over defense zone? that's techniques
    - how can Zico/Maradona dribble and draw 2.3 DF then release a thru pass (to reach the striker)? taht's techniques

10. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do think ronaldos passing ability is underrated but I watched that video and I swear from the 10 minute mark onwards most of those "passes" were deflected shots or situations where he didnt control the ball properly and it rolled to a team mate :ROFLMAO: & ;)

11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    suggest for a new pair of glasses ... or it's time to get better monitor/screen LOL

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    :laugh::laugh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::laugh::ROFLMAO:
    Oh god I don’t think I’ve chuckled so hard reading anything on this forum
    :thumbsup: