Rojo's Modern Life! - The Marcos Rojo Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't agree with it, under the circumstances he was asked about Rojo, I can see why he felt the need to defend him. That being said, I really hope that privately, he will have a word with him about that. It's not just reckless but it's dirty and dangerous as well. I get the passion, the adrenaline of the moment, whatever it is but that is simply not cool and that's 2x now in 3 games he's done something like that and both times he was lucky not to see red.
    He has done very well since he moved inside at CB with Jones and that "edge" in his game is part of what I like about him, but it as to be controlled and those type of tackles are just over the line of what is acceptable (by a wide margin). He needs as well right now: can't afford to lose him for an extended period of time.

2. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long is Bailly out for?

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't knw until his knee is thoroughly checked I suppose.

4. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I can see adrenaline argument for going in late or unnecessarily hard, but this is technique. He knew exactly what he was doing both times.

5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Have we sold him yet?

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 footed lunges/tackles are never thought to any defenders as an acceptable tackle technique. I don't if he was taunted on both occasions as it tends to happen on the pitch and in a desire to retaliate lost his head for a moment. Not sure how he can justify this even if he was genuinely going for the ball as he has no control of his body going in that way and it could lead to a serious injury. And yes, he definitely knew what he was doing, which is hard to explain other than malice, on the face of it at least. But hs reaction afterwards on both occasion is that much more strange as he's protesting like he's unaware he did something wrong.
    It's just something he needs to cut out of his game before it really becomes a (nasty) habit...

7. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's slowly gaining my respect. Fair play to him for carrying on

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth be told, he was always much better as a CB for us as opposed to a LB. he had some decent performances there in his first season. But his play recently has been a great surprise. Just wished he'd cut the 2 foot lunging from his repertoire.

9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The dirtiest player weve had in a few years. Hes going to be done soon for a legitimate or borderline tackle.

10. michael24710

michael24710 Member

Jul 10, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is interesting how he backs Fellani and Rojo to the hilt - yet other players are singled out for far lesser things.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    An interesting point. Wonder why that's so.

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dont think in either case he did it to intentionally harm or to hurt or out of emotion, I think it is actually a mixture of bad technique and a little cowardice.

To explain they were both tackles he was a long way away from hence the need to lunge and go off his feet, if you do it with one leg provided you dont go high and go for the ball the most you are usually risking is a yellow.

On the first tackle where both players lunging, Rojo going two-footed with straight legs means you are less likely to get hurt than your opponent (hence the degree of cowardice in this type of tackle).

On the second I think it was just bad technique as he has gotten into the habbit of going two-footed for the reason above.

There is no place in football at all for this tackle given the potential consequences, he has to eliminate it from his game before it costs us.

The (over) reaction from him to a yellow is just cover-up to avoid showing how relieved he was to escape a red card.

13. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After the coverage, the next ref who sees him do that will defo send him off. Mourinho and the coaching staff have to warn him, and he has to be be cleverer next time.

14. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Rojo is Argentine. Nuff said.

johno, Futbol_Head and Gilma1990 repped this.
  15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Rojo has done well and the partnership with Jones has worked because both players have focused on the doing the simple things they are good at and neither have tried to be more expansive on the ball or left each other isolated.

jeff070 repped this.
  16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Top Lad:

822821405645565952 is not a valid tweet id

17. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Story coming out in Argentina that 2 of Rojo's cousins were killed by an off-duty policeman who they were trying to rob.

18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    prayers to rojo's family

Gilma1990 repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how the fortunes of a player can change so quickly, depending on the right/wrong circumstances. Rojo was very much a dead man walking among the majority of United fans, yet seems to slowly but surely be winning most of them over, with some consistently solid displays this season.
    My favorite part of his game has always been his grit and tenacity (even if it's very borderline at times). Provides a bite and toughness we've lacked since Vidic was here (Bailly has helped in that aspect as well).
    Don't know what his contract situation is, but I'll be happy to see him stick around for a few more seasons. His presence still does not absolve the need for a new CB (still want someone "cooler", very composed to partner him and/or Bailly), but his place on the team is well earned as far as I'm concerned.

20. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    He can ******** off back to Spain.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Back to Spain?

23. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    To, not back to. Whatever, you know what I meant.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gash on his forehead after his clash with Silva is pretty deep and significant: looks pretty gruesome as a matter of fact. Not that I assume there were many until then, but any questions on his toughness can be laid to rest.
    That being said, he still was the wrong choice for Sunday's game vs City, especially with other, better options on the bench (for this type of opponent) in Lindelof and/or Jones.