Rojo's Modern Life! - The Marcos Rojo Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    still not thrilled about this but he is one of our boys now so let's support our new #5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jeff070 repped this.
  2. googoo

googoo Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some signing this is... Only got him because Vermaelen chose Barcelona (who would have been equally terrible). Not impressed with what's going on at the club.

3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would you rather have TV?

Older, less upside, only a few million less, likely higher wages and not a better defender.

4. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LVG wanted a left footed CB. Cannot think of many better available tbh.

Hope he mantains the improvement rate he has had last 1 year or so and becomes a top player. Otherwise he can be a utility CB/LB cover at worst.

5. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United sign Marcos Rojo from Sporting Lisbon
    - Argentina international joins on five-year contract
    - Nani to join Sporting Lisbon on loan

Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of defender Marcos Rojo from Sporting Lisbon for a fee of €20m, with Nani joining the Portuguese club on a season-long loan. Marcos joins on a five-year contract.

Rojo, 24, joined Sporting from Spartak Moscow, having started his career at his home town team of Estudiantes de la Plata. Marcos has played 28 times for Argentina since making his debut three years ago and played six games, including the final, in his country's run to the recent FIFA World Cup final, scoring in the last group game against Nigeria. He was named as one of the defenders in the Castrol Index All Star Team of the tournament.

Marcos Rojo said: "It is such an honour to say that I now play for Manchester United. The Premier League is the most exciting league in the world and to have the chance to play in it for the world's biggest club is a dream for me. I am young and am very keen to continue to learn the game, so playing for such an experienced technical coach as Louis van Gaal is a fantastic opportunity for me. I have joined United to work hard with my team-mates to win trophies and I know that the manager shares that ambition."

Louis van Gaal said: "Marcos is a very gifted defender. He has played at the highest level in world football and can play either as a central defender or left-back. He has ability, physical strength and a willingness to learn that means he has a very bright future ahead of him. He had a very strong World Cup and has been playing in Europe for a couple of years now. He is a very good addition to the team."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...e=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd

6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Equally terrible??

Or just not Hummels / Benatia?

7. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Provides depth, wants to be here. Welcome Marcos.

Denis Horan, djcandle19 and jeff070 repped this.
  8. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As something of a hybrid LB/CB I think he's a very good fit as long as we're playing 3 at the back, and that will make him play up a bit relative to his overall quality. From what I've seen he's quicker, better on the ball and a better 1v1 defender in space than your average CB, but provides a touch more steel than your average LB. That's the exact sort of player you want for LCB in a 3-5-2 and I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with his play in that system. However, if we revert to a 4 man backline at some point I do think he'll be a bit of a fish out of water unless he can improve.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm sad to see so much cynicism about a young player particularly by people who've admittedly not seen much of a 24yo world cup final playing Argentina international.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  10. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The hashtag #RojoisRed is brilliant. Good that we managed to sign him considering that a third party was involved. Apart from the World Cup games I have watched nothing of him. It will be interesting to see how this works. I am cautiously optimistic.

The money we have spent on him is of little concern to me. The market is skewed and as @johno pointed out the fee isn't that bad for an Argentine international who played in the final of the World Cup.

Hopefully he becomes as reliable as the player who previously wore that jersey.

11. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think we overpaid. Thats fine if that if is what it takes and he turns into a WC CB. If not it continues our trend of average buying and a lack of world class quality in the squad.

His age is interesting. Hes kinda young. But not so young we can assume he will massively improve large parts of his game. I mean I hope he has the right attitude and wants to learn from LVG. But at 24 we cant assume that will happen.

Seems like another gamble signing. Really hope its a gamble that pays off. If it does then we are set for ages.

12. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think a lot of anger that really has more to do with Woodward and our overall transfer dealings are being misplaced on him. If we had signed Vidal 4 weeks ago I think the tone of discussions about Rojo would be pretty different.

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    £16 mil isn't expensive.

14. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have seen figures of 24. Including add ons and nanis salary.

15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Highest ive seen is €20mil.

16. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have seen 16 rising to 20 with addons. And 4 for Nanis salary.

Who knows of course, but it doesnt seem beyond the pale that we would pay that.

17. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Urm Sporting released a official release to the Portuguese Stock exchange and we confirmed the fee as well at 20 million euros.

The only add on Sporting have is 20% sell on for any profit we receive over 23 million euros.

We are paying Nani's wages which are 4.8/5 million pounds or such but we were paying them anyway and if we had loaned him out otherwise another club would pay maybe 50% of them.

So that's basically 16 to 18 million pounds probably with hopefully us getting a good profit in terms of fees and getting him off the books in finding a buyer if he does well there or getting him back in some form. If he does poorly then we were screwed signing him onto a 5 year deal anyway.

Drae repped this.
  18. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    His wife and daughter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Like what I have heard about him. Gonna be fun and frightening having him and Rafael on the pitch. Reminds me of Heinze in that regard, gives it his all, but sometimes a bit too much :)

johno repped this.
  20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not buying the argument about him being expensive. We're filthy rich. He cost a third of what David Luiz cost. I think it was okay dealing but even if it wasn't, what will the extra 4M that we spent do for us when we don't have any fit defenders?

We bought a young, passionate player in an area of need who wants to play for United. We didn't break the bank. Things are not that bad.

topnoevili and jeff070 repped this.
  21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Actually we know exactly how much since Sporting are listed and have released the exact details.

We pay 10m euros now, another 5mil in 12 months and another 5 in Dec 2015 to add up to 20M in euros.

Drae repped this.
  22. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    "for total value €20,000,000 (twenty million), paid in three instalments: € 10,000,000 payable immediately and two instalments of € 5,000,000 each, paid in December 1, 2014 and July 1, 2015."

23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I don't really understand the benefit of splitting up the payments if we have the money now. Surely if we paid it all up front we would have been able to save the million or two it would have cost to convince Sporting to accept only 10m this transfer window?

24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica