Rodney Wallace...

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by tomásbernal, Mar 18, 2012.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...was ********ing terrible yesterday against Dallas. I was shocked that he didn't get taken out at halftime for Chabala, if not before the half! I just (still) don't see what all the hype is about. His defending is all around bad, his decision-making is crap (see: the "clearance" under pressure over the endline for a corner), and he has a really long touch often.

2. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    I wasn't aware of any "hype."

3. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Rodney Wallace was definitely the achilles heel last night. Wasn't pretty defending. Hopefully, he won't cost the Timbers a few games.

4. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was shockingly bad by his own standards.

Still being played out of position.

Just like Nagbe and then he gets slotted in up top and look at what happens. Time for Perlaza to hit the bench.

I like Spencer but his tactical decisions leave me wondering sometimes.

5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on both Wallace and Nagbe.

6. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    Respectfully,

1) Nagbe is just now returning to good health; probably not at full match fitness yet.

2) Given the roster available, if you started Nagbe in that game, who is your offensive threat off the bench (and knowing that Nagbe likely would not last 90 minutes)?

3) That said, I think there's a good chance Nagbe starts against NE (in part because the inclusion of Songo'o, if available, opens up a few other midfield substituion options for Spencer).

But, this thread is about Rodney.

Yes, I'd probably start Chabala in the next game.

7. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd hadnt played regularly in 18 months. He went 66 mins and then the full 90. Quite a gamble if you ask me with your highest paid player who is supposedly going to "bag us enough goals to build a log cabin."

Dike.

Wallace is an actual midfielder. Let him provide cover for the time being. Nagbe needs to be seen as a true attacker from here on out. Chara and Jewsbury provide zero ability to breakdown defenses from the middle of the pitch. I have faith Nagbe can provide this from the number 10 position and thus provide a new dynamic to our attack especially with Boyd who loves to drop off the shoulder. Not once has Boyds run been picked out by anyone in the middle of the field and it was there at least a half dozen times on opening night. Harder to tell on the tv against Dallas.

8. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    I agree, but it's a gamble the coach took. Perhaps he believes Boyd and Nagbe are different players with differing capacities for recovery.

I like the guy, but really, no sarcasm face? You're serious?

Don't diasgree. One of the midfield options is start Wallace. If more offense is needed later in the game, bring in Sango'o for either Kalif or Wallace, as the situation dictates. Alternatively, bring Wallace off the bench for defense, a la late last year.

I, too, like Nagbe. But it's a long season, and most guys need to play at some point if the team is going to make the playoffs. I also agree with (what I think is) your main point: Boyd and Nagbe need to play a lot. But, if this team relies on only Boyd and Nagbe up top with Dike off the bench for offense, it will be a long, long season.

9. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    I wouldn't mind seeing Alexander and Wallace switch places. Wallace is good going forward and Alexander seems like a rugged tackler as much as anything. I agree that Spencer's selections are aggravating. Nagbe needs to be out there as a starter, and I can't fathom why he took AJB out.

10. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Boyd and Nagbe are starting up top a majority of the time then Perlaza will be first option off the bench, not Dike. I like this. It would be a good injection of pace late into the game especially if we need a goal. Let him run at some tired defenders.