Roda Financial Troubles & FC Limburg

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by FCGrunn, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    it does indeed. The notion between a merger between a more or less healthy (albeit poor) club and a dying one is something I dont understand anyway.

2. Black Label

Black Label New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Utrecht
    This is something I don't understand either. How would Roda be helped by taking on the burden that is called Fortuna. Only reason I can think of is that they (kessler etc) try to enforce FC Limburg on the fans in steps. First Roda Fortuna, later MVV and perhaps even VVV. (edit, didn't read the post by FC Grunn, but there you have it)

Besides that I always feel that the whole FC Limburg discussion shouldn't exist in the first place. There should be enough support (in terms of both business and people) in the south of Limburg to keep at least MVV and Roda alive.

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Surely MVV should be able to find a way to get back on it's feet once, one would think. I'd love to see them back in the top flight for one.

BTW does anyone know how I accomplished + membership? I see that Johan has two so I'm guessing more is less? :D

4. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't know, :confused:, but congrats are certainly in order.

5. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In my humble - knowing nothing of Limurg - opinion I would say that Roda can only benefit from the demise of Fortuna if they would be willing to take over the club when it is 100% certain that Fortuna will lose its license to compete in professional football. By doing so it would perhaps seem that Roda acts as a "White Knight", perhaps persuading some people in the Sittard/Geleen area of Roda's good intentions. Ergo: For this merger/takeover to work the KNVB must be blamed by Fortuna supporters for Fortuna's demise.

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well... The clubs have agreed on a merger.

Fans are going to try and stop the merger through protests and claim to have the backing of several sponsors.

Furthermore, there may be some trouble with all contracts becoming void when the two clubs officially merge in to the new (probably FC Limburg?) club.

A game between a Roda youth team and a Borussia Monchengladbach team was postponed as dozens of fans took to the field in protest of the merger.

All in all, it may not be fully decided yet... But my guess is it's inevitable.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I know it's probably a very rational decision as it's not economically viable to have that many professional clubs in the south but I feel extremely sorry for both sets of fans. That is your worst nightmare as a football supporter.

8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I was shocked to read about it happening all so soon.

Yeah... must suck. Roda-Benfica and Roda-Milan come to mind...

9. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :eek: Roda - Benfica....that godawful pass by Edwin Vurens!!! :eek:

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes, in the end both ended in drama... But they were both very close :D

11. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  12. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How about do us all a favor and blow the club up!!! :D

13. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's sad to see clubs losing their identities, but football is a business now, and businesses go under...in this case there seems to have been little choice but to merge. I'm sure it will be unpopular for a while, but people will get used to it. Think about the hatred a lot of people had for MK Dons in England, well a few years on they are gradually gaining acceptance in the wider football community.

Just a quick question for anyone here who follows Dutch football more than I do, is there any chance this could happen with any other clubs? I've heard of rumours about MVV, and VVV Venlo too, but I just wondered whether Limburg is a successful case, could others then follow?

14. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    You've got to be joking.

15. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...why's that....?

16. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know I didn't support the MK Dons takeover, and I still don't, but we have to accept certain realities these days. principles are going to be sacrificed in modern football - what used to be about community is now business focused. 'teams' are increasingly thought of as franchises. it's wrong, I don't agree with it, but I recognise what's happening to the game.

17. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Our first division ought to be on the verge of a major restructuring. Almost half of the clubs haven't had their books in order for over two years. But I don't think we will see any more mergers in the foreseeable future. Even if it were a solution for clubs' financial problems, all involved just would not want it to happen. It seems they rather go under with at least their club identities in good shape. Rumours are that a lot of first division clubs' licenses stand in danger of being revoked.

Mind you, all these dire straits in the first division actually suits the KNVB (our FA) just fine. I remember they have been talking about restructuring both professional leagues since the mid 90s. If the KNVB teams up with the Eredivisie NV (The Premier League) and decides about the future of Dutch football, it should be no problem getting the first division along; they just follow the money.

Merging MVV and VVV would be like, uh, merging Norwich and Ipswich; makes no sense. Besides both MVV and VVV are financially viable as far as I know.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    a question for anyone with some good knowledge on Dutch football ; why will the merger actually be succesful? I understand the necessity of it, and I understand why F Sittard will be no more. what I don't get is why this new club, Limburg, will attract the sponsorship money/massive new fan base that doesn't previously exist? surely the new team will only attract F Sittard fans alongside the Roda fans - or will a whole new generation of fans in the local area become supporters? if thats the case, why will it take the creation of Limburg FC to make that happen?

20. Black Label

Black Label New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Utrecht
    Well there aren't any guarentees ofcourse of any merger being successfull.

First we have to assume that sentiments of the supportbase of both Roda & Fortuna change positively towards a new merged eredivisie club. This is key for the merger to have any chance of succeeding.

If this will be the case, than I guess they will draw more fans/businesses from the Sittard Area and in addition more fans from all over limburg, all because of eredivisie football they can associate with. This as the emphasis of the club isn't so much on either Kerkrade or Sittard. Following this reasoning they could form the foundations for a healty eredivisieclub. Drawing both more sponsors and fans (Maybe even from Belgian Limburg)

In the long run even MVV and VVV might join, although this is highly hypothetical. Obviously those who affiliate with Venlo or Maastricht, won't have any of this. Just like the supporters of Roda and Fortuna at this point.

Essentialy I feel that is the whole idea behind FC Limburg is to form a club that appeals to the whole province (businesses and fans). Its not that farfetched as Limburgers tend to be a bit chauvinistic about their province.
    However this idea totally disregards the local rivalries and sentiments.

For example, someone from Maastricht would never want to be associated with someone from Venlo or Kerkrade and vice versa, While all of them to some extent will be proud to be from Limburg.

My personal take on this is that when they go through with these plans ,in the long run it will work out. Although it is murder to the current fanbase, I feel a merged club could survive these local sentiments. Although it will take some time for them to ease away.

21. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Twenty to twelve clubs...sounds a bit farfetched. But I think that any move that will bring the amount of clubs in the Eerste Divisie south of 18/17 will force the Eredivisie to restructure also. Plans for this have been around for ages and I guess Kessler has one in mind. Eredivisie 16 clubs? Sounds good to me.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Portugal have 16 teams in their first division and seem to do quite well in Europe.

23. Black Label

Black Label New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Utrecht
  24. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cheers for the link. I don't speak Dutch though, anyone who does could possibly tell me why the name ? and kit?

25. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :eek: Roda For United ???????

That's even worse than FC Omniworld!!!

They should call the club Bronsgroen FC, or Eikenhout FC. :)

They've got a lovely anthem to play before kickoff!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYvxxxah_TI&feature=related"]YouTube - Roda JC Limburgs Volkslied[/ame]