Rochester Rhinos Thread

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Rhinonews, Dec 4, 2009.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And everyone knows - by this point, 17 or so years later - that linkage doesn't constitute endorsement.

It's more likely nobody cares about the Rhino Pit than nobody cares about the Rhinos.

2. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Precisely. Judging fan interest from a poll on Rhinopit is an extremely far reach just to take a shot at the Rhinos organization. He must really miss Rhinoszone.

3. soccerFrank

soccerFrank Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Its easy to see fan interest in the Rhinos organization by all the empty seats at Sahlen's Stadium during the season.....each year it gets worse unfortunately.
    MNG146 , I remember at the old Rhinoszone they used to joke you were Rob Clark (rhinos owner)....or some other guy using an MNG username. Who knows...lol
    Rhinopit is basically a news and fan site with a nice twitter feed as well. Also discussions take place periodically via email blasts. Heck I have friends that subscribe to it that I never knew would be interested in it, so they must have some #'s to their base.
    Since the Rhinos basically go dark for 7 mths starting in September and no announcements of any worth are made, people just don't care about the organization much, hence come spring/summer you see a stadium with 1700-3000 fans (still good for D2 or D3) roughly and an "announced crowd" of 5500-6900 most times. Its been mentioned here many times with pix posted. Its sad to see such little interest anymore, but I really don't blame fans much, I've been a season ticket holder for 12 yrs . I'm not renewing along with others I know who have been with the club for years. Alot sight playing in D3 as opposed to NASL...alot (alot for me personally knowing is 13 fans,across the board many,many more)....others just don't like the crap they see on the pitch each week.
    So whether its the lack of popularity of the Rhinopit or the Rhinos organization, one has to just look at the lack of spectators in the stands and judge for yourself.
    In closing, this past week I was sent an email for the Rhinos front office asking "why I haven't renewed my season tix yet, and if there is something they could do to help or answer questions ,please call them".......judging from the fact I received this this early from previous years tells me you guys are having trouble with renewals again.
    Maybe its time to roll out the free pizzas for a year or some other promo to spike sales?......or maybe since the USL-Pro just awarded the Rhinos 2012 " organization of the year" maybe they can run some TV and radio /internet ads to get some butts in the seats, if anyone even cares at this point. MNG146 , the club is in serious need of an overhall if they want to get anywhere near back on track, and now with the new women's pro league back , that might cut Rhinos ticket sales even more. I think you'll agree with me as a fellow fan or if your Rob Clark ...lol....that things aren't all fine in Mayberry.

4. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    The man, said it all. a franchise once not to long ago drew 11,000 a game. The supporter's in Rochester are no dummies. They have a rich history that goes back 35 or so years. The problem simple, the Rochester fan's with there knowledge of soccer are simply saying, if you do not give our team of playing in the top league, we simply will not go to the stadium. What a shame.

5. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Moron Ken. Keep insulting all the club's that have had great followings.

6. soccerFrank

soccerFrank Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    lol....Kenn knows his stuff and has been around the soccer biz for a while. I think he might have been pointing out a distinction between the Rhinopit and Rhinossoccer as not being affiliated as all. At this time the Rhinopit might have more people paying attention then the actual website for the Rhinos....again, the Rhino's go dark for 7mths with a few small "community events/activities,etc" they post online at their official site....I hardly go to that site but do checkout the Pit for general news on local soccer ties and occasionally some national news they post.
    Either way, the green and yellow seats at Sahlen's hold the answer to this small discussion.
    Happy Holidays to all :)

7. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Yes, there are plenty of empty seats due to the size of the stadium. We both know the place was built with a different purpose in mind. Attendance did increase slightly last year, which of course you won't believe anyway since according to you, they artificially inflate it. Good to see you got the name of the stadium right finally. I always got a chuckle out of seeing you spell it "Shalen's"

That gave me an even bigger chuckle. I only referenced Rhinoszone since I remembered brentgoulet posting there under that name quite frequently with similar troll remarks. By the way; I didn't have an MNG username on Rhinoszone. I do know who Rob Clark is (thanks for the update), and no, I'm not him :ROFLMAO:. When Rob posted there himself, he never hid behind pseudonyms.

Yes, I'm familiar with Rhinopit also, and subscribed to the email list myself at one time. Most of the emails contained the same hate-filled falderal that was on Rhinoszone (usually written by the same people), so I unsubscribed. You also completely missed the point of my comment about the site, but that's another subject.

Yes, the attendance has been mentioned many times (by you) with pics posted (by you). I've seen many such remarks of yours posted on various sites about how much they over inflate their attendance, and what you believe it really is (yawn).

Yup, you've also posted those and similar comments multiple times on different sites. You know a lot of people who went to games for years and stopped going because blah..blah..blah. You're also quite the NASL pimp as I recall.

So just how many times have you not renewed your season tickets that you have gotten that same email before in previous years? :giggle:. And who are the "you guys" ? I'm only one person, and I don't work for them.

Roll out THE free pizzas for a year? I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. I don't know what "get anywhere near back on track" means either, since that's a subjective term. I doubt an "overhall" would help :whistling:. The team dropped to D3 to cut down on losses, and while I wasn't thrilled with the decision, I understood it from a business standpoint. Drawing fewer fans in a lower league isn't a bad thing if you lose less money in the process.

I'm not delusional, I do realize that everything with the Rhinos isn't all sunshine and unicorns. The team on the pitch has been rather boring the past few seasons, and it has obviously been quite a while since they've won a championship. Given a choice between that and not having a team at all though, I'll pick the former. I can choose to give them my money or not based on the quality of the product, same as anyone else. I don't have the time or the desire to go around to different blog sites badmouthing the organization, but to each his own.

8. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    The Rochester soccer community deserves first division soccer or at lest to be given the opportunity through competition to play in the first division. If given the opportunity to play in the first division attendance would be up again.

9. soccerFrank

soccerFrank Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    "Yes, there are plenty of empty seats due to the size of the stadium. We both know the place was built with a different purpose in mind. Attendance did increase slightly last year, which of course you won't believe anyway since according to you, they artificially inflate it. Good to see you got the name of the stadium right finally. I always got a chuckle out of seeing you spell it "Shalen's"

Hey Mr.Chuckles try emailing Leo Roth from the D&C and see if he could get the "real" #'s from the City of Rochester, recently he did that with attendance stats associated with other local pro franchises. Did you ever wonder why most all of Devo's game re-caps say "announced" attendance for the Rhino's matches?......you must have won your share of spelling bees , but must not see all that well ,huh?

"Yes, the attendance has been mentioned many times (by you) with pics posted (by you). I've seen many such remarks of yours posted on various sites about how much they over inflate their attendance, and what you believe it really is (yawn)."

I guess seeing is believing?......next season take your own pix and try counting the 6k plus average in the stands......were you at the USWNT game vs Costa Rica (13k)the day after the Rhinos 2012 season ended ?...i was at both , and you can't honestly say with a straight face they average 6k plus.

"Yup, you've also posted those and similar comments multiple times on different sites. You know a lot of people who went to games for years and stopped going because blah..blah..blah. You're also quite the NASL pimp as I recall."

I guess alot of others are too.....And so are the people who still want only MLS (thats not happening) in town.

"So just how many times have you not renewed your season tickets that you have gotten that same email before in previous years? :giggle:. And who are the "you guys" ? I'm only one person, and I don't work for them."

That email and letter usually gets sent out in the early spring a few times, to get the holdout renewals.....Now its like real quick, so that tells me theres alot of holdouts this year...more then normal. I'll get my tix ala cart this year.

"Roll out THE free pizzas for a year? I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. I don't know what "get anywhere near back on track" means either, since that's a subjective term. I doubt an "overhall" would help :whistling:. The team dropped to D3 to cut down on losses, and while I wasn't thrilled with the decision, I understood it from a business standpoint. Drawing fewer fans in a lower league isn't a bad thing if you lose less money in the process."

Ask Sam about the free pizza promo they did for the 2012-2013 Lancer tix.....it was only advertised and promoted a million times for 2mths. Go Lancers!
    Dropping to D3 , and drawing fewer fans in a lower league isn't a bad thing if you lose less $$ in the process?......wait, I thought you said attendance "actually went up this past season"......your talking out of both sides of your mouth man.
    So with your theory, I guess a move to the NPSL would be smart too?......If D2 (NASL)gets stronger and more stable in the coming years, do you still advocate the Rhinos stay where they are?....just curious.

10. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. tampasteve1

tampasteve1 Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies and Strikers
    Jul 21, 2009
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a tip from patfan1 over in the MLS forums:
    http://www.whec.com/sports/stories/S2905701.shtml?cat=571
    Seems like it should be posted here too.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas USA added two more players with Mexican league experience in Jose Manuel Rivera and Daniel Antunez.

Rivera is a forward who has bounced around Europe and Mexico. The 26-year-old comes most recently from Finnish second division side Rovaniemen Palloseura.

Antunez grew up in Santa Ana, Calif. before moving to Texas. He was drafted by the Colorado Rapids in 2008 but quickly joined the Rochester Rhinos in the USL. Since, the 27-year-old has played for Estudiantes Tecos and FC Inter Turku (Finland).

ceezmad repped this.
  14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Big name sponsor for the Rhinos

[​IMG]

With Bimbo on the front of their 2013 kits, the Rochester Rhinos will become the eighth team in North and Central America to wear the iconic conglomerate's name on their jerseys. Chivas de Guadalajara, Monterrey, and America of the Mexican top flight, Philadelphia Union of Major League Soccer, Saprissa and A.D. Isidro Metapán of Costa Rica, and San Francisco FC of Panama are all also sponsored by Bimbo.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prediction: No NWSL team will ever join them. :)

brentgoulet repped this.
  16. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    these 2013 Rhinos look good !

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

soccersubjectively repped this.
  17. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    looks like a safe bet to me :)

Urban Dictionary: bimbo
    A girl who is stupid, wears lots of make up and is obsessed with boys and clothes
    . Generally blonde but there are exceptions.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    What happened to Nothnagle and Barnard Chevrolet?

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats the average age of Rhino players? 45? Geez!

soccersubjectively repped this.
  20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have horrible. What's going on there?