Roberto Baggio, a Great or Not?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Duck Manson, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Right. If you know your football you could have easily worked out that i was taking the piss. Dino Baggio was worse than his Brother.

Black Cats. Roaaar.

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    :rolleyes:

They weren't related you retard

3. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who says. Two Baggio's on the same team.

Haway Black Cats. Roaaar.

4. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Probably Dino and Roberto's parents. Just because they have the same name doesn't make them related. Is Joe Cole the younger brother of Andy?

5. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Could be flash.

Black Cats. Makam Roaaar.

Your Avatar looks llike a Big Erect Penis. How fitting eh?

6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    But its not.

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Sorry mel but no matter how much you flatter me, i just don't swing that way.

8. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you see it say it.

The old ones are the best like.

9. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who say's so. They might want to be stupid Brothers eh? I bet no one has asked them.

Roaaar. Black Cats 0 - Us 4.

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know my football, more than you do and just because I know that Dino Baggio isn't as good as the not related to him Roberto, there was no clear indication that you were taking the piss. What was clear though was that you preferred Dino to Roberto. I'll tell you what. You do a bad job of taking the piss. You need practise but I guess that's what happens when you use to sing for the Spice Girls.

For a better understanding, go Lions, Brisbane Lions. We'll kick the winning score. You'll hear out mighty ROAR!

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    :eek: on your behalf dor....

12. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What is that supposed to mean?

13. animatestate

animatestate New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Many Places
    I've seen Baggio play in person and he was someone I watched on TV when I couldn't travel to games. He was very great. He had a passion for the game. He was creative and could read the ball very well - knowing what it would do before he touched it. Kind of like Zidane. I sawy Baggio is one of the greats. I think he wasn't always confident in himself, hesitant at times.

14. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Baggio had the misfortune to play in a period when SERIE A was someway undervaluing that kind of player. This affected also Zola. The only one who managed to survive playing in that role was Mancini. That's because Roberto Mancini was sampdoria and sampdoria was built around mancini.

Roberto Baggio would have better stayed with Fiorentina where he would have shined a lot more than with Juve-Inter-Milan (not that he didn't shine there but he was heavily underused and misused IMO) because the team would have played to exalt him thus exalting the whole team play.

The younger baggio playing for Fiorentina was a total joy to eye.
    http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/marcollino/tribute_to_baggio.ram
    Look at the first goal in this video to see what I mean.

Now things are different in SERIE A and Baggio's kind of player is again wanted and searched for and taken care of.

From a potential POV he was one of the all time greatest. Lots of unluck made him "only" a great player (who will be remembered) and one of the greatest of his times.

Some Baggio's related clips and links I posted in my previous incarnation.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2017870&postcount=7
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2017914&postcount=8

p.s. Careca was great. A great forward who will be remembered. It's not like if you're not Pelè or Maradona or Platini you'll fall into oblivion. There's a place for the greats near the greatests in soccer history.

15. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You have made some valid points but in regards to Sampdoria, shouldn't it have been Vialli and Mancini were Sampdoria and Sampdoria were Vialli and Mancini? That sounds a bit better.

16. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    as one of the U.S magazine quoted

'His legend was built

not on titles

but on moments'

honestly, i dont have his stats, but i'm pretty sure its not that great. Baggio will apprecited by the people who believe the beauty of soccer preceeds statistics. You really have to see him play to believe he is one of the most creative player ever.

17. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Abdolutley not. I remember him as a sinsitive and depressed individual who had above average skill in futbol.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You Sir, are a joke.

This topic isn't even worthy of discussion. He is clearly one of the greats and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

19. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Vialli? He seems like a strange choice.

Also: [​IMG]

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Well at the time he was a phenomenal player. He was top scorer in Serie A in 1990/1, and there was a reason that Juve paid £12m for him in 1992.

I always forget Hugo Sanchez, probably because Mexico weren't at WC 1990, and Spanish football wasn't televised in England at the time.

21. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Definitely an all time great.
    Just think about this, he is still good enough to make the National Team some 16 years later when he debuted for Italy and if that doesn't say anything to you then you need to sit down and re-think it over.

Anyone that can make a European power for 15+ years definitely is an all-time great. He also spent the last few years at Brescia in Serie A and was ranked the Top 5 midfielder/striker by 'La Gazetta' in each of his final seasons from his week to week play. His creativity was never lost, he will always be remembered as a great. Top 5 player of his generation no doubt!

22. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Actually Vialli was one of the better strikers, but never got to show his stuff at the international stage past 1992 when he was snubbed from the national team by Arrigo Sacchi. Vialli should have started upfront with Roberto Baggio in 1994, he was Italy's #1 but never made the trip over to the USA. You got to love the politics.

23. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Roberto Baggio is one of the greatest players ever, had he not missed the PK and Italy won the WC94, he would probably be the best player ever!!!!

24. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

LA CURVA SUD ROMA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal
    My all time favorite "God bless his heart" he was on "ce posta per te" last saturday night, even if he was playing today he'd finish in top5 scoring race in serie A. Please come back. :rolleyes:

25. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Sorry for those who adore this guy.

I fell ya, my guys is Romario, opened my eyes for flair and finess, how to be cool under pressure. Romario is a pain in butt for lots of fans, couches and teammates but I still think he is the best players since Pele.

For some reason I think of Baggio as a depressed and unhappy person. I don't know why I think that way, may be becaue I got to know him during the 94' world cup and he cried a lot, didn't smile much and missed that penalty and caused his country to loose, ummmm! I donno you tell me. Is he a happy fella?

As a players, well he is good, not that great or even very good. I think he is just good.