Robert Enke - In Memoriam

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Hendrik, Nov 10, 2009.

1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Robert Enke is dead

- Enke suffered from depression since 2003 and he always tried to hide it from the public
    - he was in close contact to a doctor during the last 6 years
    - in his suicide note he apologises to his wife and his doctor because he baffled them to realise his suicide plan
    - he was scared of failing especially during his time in Istanbul and Barcelona
    - he was scared of losing his adopted daughter if his depression would become generally known
    - his wife always tried to help him during the stages of depression and they all had no idea of his plan

that's what his wife and doctor basically told the public a few minutes ago.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

My condolences

3. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My prayers are with his family, what a tragic story :(

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

This just does not make it better. Horrible.

5. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you for that information. This is all so heart-breaking. It is almost as if a friend has died.

I broke down when Oliver Bierhoff did during the press conference.... :(

6. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado

Condolences from the States - and I thought what happened with Charlie Davies here was bad :(

I hope his widow is getting support from the whole of Germany...

7. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My deepest sympathies to the family, friends and fans of Robert Enke.

Unlike physical illnesses, mental illnesses are sometimes not noticeable and go untreated. When you think of Robert, remember that it was an illness that caused the tragedy.

-Norm Pollock, USA

8. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

Teresa Enke talking about Robert in the press conference:
    Video

9. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Here's your brief summary in a more detailed version:

READ

What a strong woman!

Very, very sad story. Why didn't Robert Enke choose Basti Deisler's way of coping with the depression? :( Did football really mean a lot more to him than his life and family? Somehow it's hard to understand ... even though I can also understand his desperation.

Btw: According to his psychotherapist, Robert was treated by him in Cologne during the time when we all wondered about his alleged (mysterious) virus infection (which seems to have been just a pretense for his absence). Is it really possible that H96 & also the DFB had absolutely no clue about this? :confused: Can you really hide such a psychologic treatment that perfectly?? Sounds a little bit mysterious to me...

PS: Here's the whole press-conference for those who understand German.

CLICK

10. woodythenetminder

Mar 18, 2008
    DC area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am stunned and saddened by the death of this good and decent man. Robert Enke was coming into his own as a player for both Hannover 96 and Der Mannschaften.

Our thoughts and prayers should be first and foremost with his wife Theresa and eight-month old daughter. Whatever took him to this point and pushed Enke to this sad end are not for us to judge. Lord knows his recent illness, death of his two year old daughter, stresses of professional football and life can be a toxic combination. Mental illness is a destructive force. It can hit and may hit any of us.

As a player he was a stellar Torwart, outstanding 96 captain and good example to young footballers. He was well liked and admired by his teammates, managers and the 96 faithful. He was always polite and well thought in his speech. Despite setbacks professionally and in his personal life, he shown as a true professional.

In addition to his wife, daughter and family, I extend my deepest sympathy to Steve Cherundolo and the many teammates that considered Robert Enke and close friend and confidant. Let us remember Enke for his play and not dwell on this end. RIP

Wir trauern um Robert Enke +

11. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Very sad day. I have read that his injury and the sudden rise of Adler to #1 weren't the principal causes of the suicide, but they certainly did not help his already fragile mind-set.

As someone who's suffered from depression myself and have lost people close to me to suicide, it really strikes home. Sometimes you can only do so much for somebody. I wish he would've came out like Deisler did, but the stigma of depression still resides in today's society including Germany where sometimes Gemütlichkeit misses its target.

My prayers and thoughts are with his family, friends and teammates.

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

just incredible....i hope his wife gets all the support she needs now.

13. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

Ballack knows him since he was 13. Really good decision to cancel the Chile game.

15. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  16. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So so sad. My heartfelt sympathies to his family and those who knew and loved him in the football community! :(

17. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

The best of all farewell's, imho

[​IMG]

'Ciao Robert and take care of heaven's gate.'

18. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

In German the word for goal and gate is the same...

19. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

What's also sad about this is he had such a bright future ahead of him on the Nat team and for Hannover eventhough he was already 32. We all know that German Torwarts get better with age like Kahn & Lehmann. I was looking forward to seeing him & Adler battle it out like Kahn & Lehmann used to for the starting spot on the WC team but now we'll never know. This one really hurts.

20. KyleS8

KyleS8 Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I can't believe how strong his wife is. I could not imagine holding a news conference and talk about what happened publicly a day after it happened.

During today's moment of silence for Rememberance Day, Robert entered my mind. I don't think there will be a Nov.11 from now on where I won't remember that Robert passed away the day before.

21. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmbyEN1rQE&feature=related"]YouTube- Gerry And The Peacemakers - You'll Never Walk Alone[/ame]

22. Ruhrgold

Ruhrgold New Member

Oct 22, 2009

You know how one of the fears that haunted Enke was that his mental illness would become known? And how the public would react and judge and misunderstand because many people fail to get what depression is and what it does to people?

Yeah... turns out his fear wasn't totally unjustified.

23. schumy

schumy New Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Turkey
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Enke played just one match in Turkey and he was treated unfairly after a 3-0 result. It was his first match only.

And according to his doctor's words this psychologic problems started at those days.

But that team Fenerbahce didn't publish condolence. They just mentioned something in the training field they do for Enke. For me that's not enough.

If you treat players like workers, in this days it hurts you more.

Life is short, really short...

24. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006

Actually, that's not quite true. I just read a long interview with Dreisler who retired not too long ago (due in great part to his own struggle with depression as well as injuries), and he said that he received very little support. That he was called "Dreislerin" (Mrs. Dreisler), that people said he was gay as well ... all because of his illness. Which makes me think that Enke was aware of the lack of sympathy & support, and therefore wanted to keep it a secret.

I was wondering: any chance Enke might have been gay? I remember an interview about homosexuality in men's soccer and the issue came up that there are, of course, several gay (in the closet) players. I am only thinking that because that would probably add to the psychological stress & pain he must have been feeling, not him being gay, but being forced to live a sham life in the closet. I know he was married, but could it have been a coverup?

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Yeah, that's it....let's speculate that Deisler was gay too. :rolleyes: