Robbie Rogers signs with Heerenveen (8/14)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by freisland, Aug 3, 2006.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Try 50 Euro for 15-20 minutes depending on the girl. The marijuana is pretty cheap in the coffee shops though. And the alcohol is cheaper than alot of places in Europe. I have to say I love the chocolate waffles.

2. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    I'm starting to get disturbed by all the people with this knowledge on hand. If my girlfriend reads these boards she may dump me just for associating with you lot.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But, uh ... I thought that was the usual way.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh come on, there must be better reasons to dump you than this.

Uhm, back on topic, so at $500k a year, bet Robbie could afford...
    No, wrong topic. But how far from the dam is this place? Sounds like a great roadtrip. How much do tics cost in the erie-wilds?

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Must spread rep....but a great line.
    The answer is no, the usual way is far more expensive.

6. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Robbie Rogers to Heerenveen?

I also assume that some of those guys are just more comfortable playing in the US for 100k than playing in a foreign country for 400k. At least for the time being.

7. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    An even better line!

8. TheWindmill

TheWindmill New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Groningen
    Sigh, ..... Why didn't i study a year in the States when i had the opportunity instead of study in boring Leeuwarden, the Netherlands, where they don't even have a normal/cool campus!!:mad: :( ?
    I did have the chance to do that! I'll slap myself in the face!

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

I think it's more of a case of them not being to secure a $100K-$400K contract in Europe, largely due to the stupidity of the Euro scouts who look for complete players at this age with most Yanks not qualifying under the premise.

Let's not forget that the Dutch league is basically at the top of the food chain for young talent but there are a lot of other options out there. Why more French II, German II, Belgian, Swedish, Swiss or Danish clubs aren't interested in very low-priced American players is hard to fathom. One'd think that taking a flyer on a guy the way that second division Dutch squad is taking with the George Mason prospect would be far more prevalent.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

I think the dam will be breaking pretty soon. The key concept is 'taking a flyer.' Not all of our guys have to succeed, just enough to make the next hot prospect worth a look. The price is right!

Zimmermann bypassed college altogether, and Villanueva just tried to. Rogers, Nguyen, Feilhaber (and Villanueva next year?) may be a more reliable guide to the future. A year (or two) in college to mature and attract interest, then directly to Europe.

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

So who will be the next U-20 to sign with Heerenveen?? Villanueva? Sal Zizzo - played PDL with Rogers and has Italian passport...?

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The problems for the French, Swedish and Danish is they limit the number of non-European players.

Belgium has the salary restriction of 75K

However, Denmark has been a pretty good place as of late for Yanks.

Germany should be the best place for Yanks, just need to get the right doors open. I'd like to see Brent Goulet at Elversberg bring in a couple of Yanks and see if he can get a promotion out of it.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

The French seem to be pretty liberal with the number of the non-EU players (5?) and all the French-speaking Africans and Caribbean players count as local, so there should be more than one Gueugnon out there.

I'd say this should still motivate them to go get the MLS 1st Rd pick types or the MLS free-agents that have been going to Norway.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought the French 2nd could only have two non-Euros? I know some Africans get free passes by signing some sort of treaty or something.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Not sure about Two but the LC seems to have as many as seven (depending on how some of the citizenships quals go).

All the native French speakers can apply for citizenship immediately after arrival due to the application of the retroactive colonial rules. So, anyone from Senegal, Cameroon, Ivory Coast (Cote-d'Ivoire), Mali, etc. as well as Haiti, Guadelupe, Martinique is in virtually automatically.

Also, French clubs have sufficient revenues to use Belgium as a farm/feeder league since $75K is next to nothing for a decent size LC club.

16. Degtyarev

Degtyarev Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Fryslân

Is Rogers left- or right-footed? Heerenveen says he's able to play on both wings, but what is his 'natural' position?

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

He's a natural lefty.

18. TheWindmill

TheWindmill New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Groningen

Don't forget that if you contract a player from outside Europe there are other regulations. A non-euro player must get higher payment and can therefore be too expensive for small 2nd div clubs in Holland, Switzerland, Sweden,etc...

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

It's true in Holland Gold Division, which is why some GMs will try to sneak the Yanks in under an "amateur" status - cover room and board and it's like the guy is a development player in MLS.

Sweden, Denmark and Norway have only numerical restrictions, which is why they've had several Yanks in their major and minor leagues over the years.

The Norwegian teams specifically seems to have done well recruiting North American players (US and Canada). Eredivisie is picking up steam. Denmark has a few Yanks. Belgium is lagging behind (and that's despite a Yank making Jupiler's Best XI). Switzerland must have had a bad experience with Frankie Hejduk to try again.

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on progress? Is he even with the club yet?

21. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002

You're talking about insider regularization for football players and not just anyone I hope, right? Not just anyone from a former French-speaking colony can apply for citizenship in France, far from it. By the way, Guadelupe and Martinique ARE part of France being "oversees departments". They are already French citizens.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Exactly. They are part of France in the same way that Hawaii is part of the USA.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    he has started with young heerenveen, who had their monday match postponed - the good news is heerenveen first and second teams practice as one, which is probably one reason bradley made such a quick rise

24. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
  25. Degtyarev

Degtyarev Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Fryslân

Yesterday he scored his first Heerenveen goal against amateur side Wognum (10-0). Coming on as a sub he played 30 minutes.