Robbie Rogers signs with Heerenveen (8/14)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by freisland, Aug 3, 2006.

1. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Re: Robbie Rogers to Heerenveen?

Robbie I believe is actually right handed. When he played youth soccer in Southern California he played with both feet although he scored slightly more goals with his left foot. I am told he was a youth he was the US National Judo Champion at his weight and that is where he learned to use both of his feet and hands.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

I have coached one player who became a Parade All-American- and she was a karate kid from a young age. Very good foot control!!

3. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada

They could have mistaken Rogers with Canadian U-20 Will Johnson, who signed with Heerenveen not too long ago.

4. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004

That does it then, sign up every youth player out their to some type of martial arts class. :D

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You laugh, but nothing teaches leg and foot control like the martial arts, especially the barefoot forms (most kung fu practioners wear shoes). There's a lot of foot positioning and control to learn how to kick something really hard without breaking a toe or ankle in the process.

After eight years in the martial arts, I found that when I started kicking the soccer ball again I was much better than before.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

And soccer can help the martial kicks ... and so can ballet.

Back on the topic (late edit) :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/mediawrapper/consoles/milkcup/bb_rm_console.shtml?pack2

This should get Wednesday's (if not, click on Wed at the top) events. The US-Denmark goals are in the "goal roundup", starting at ~ 3:40 into the reel.

Rogers assists on the first and scores the 2nd.

7. IUtwins

IUtwins New Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Nashville, TN

We will definitely see on this one. I have been watching college soccer for quite a while now and I haven't seen a player stand out so far as Lee did in a long time, maybe ever. He never really gelled with the team but as far as individual talent goes he is at the front of this pack of names.

8. golazo_usa

golazo_usa Member

Oct 2, 1999

Have you ever seen Reyna play when he was in college ? Reyna was tactically light years ahead of everyone around. Mathis was similar too at this stage of his career.

In regards to Rogers, he is similar to Dempsey in that they have self-initiative to
    be attack-oriented, and very tactically aware of options around them.
    Rogers isn't flashy as Dempsey; just more subtle and smooth. He tends to make
    runs deeper from the midfield too than Dempsey.

9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Ramos.

Tab was the anti Clint however. He was fairly self destructive mentally/emotionally as youth and matured while Cletus...oh well.

That being said, I am a big MLS supporter, but I am all for our more tactically savy/skilled young players heading overseas if a good opportunity presents itself.

MLS just doesn't have the style of play and coaching/youth system to help develop these guys IMO.

Rogers, Lee please go.

If someone offers something to MLS for Dax I hope he goes also. Just can't see how playing MLS reserve matches helps a player like this.

I just keep thinking of M Bradley and the crap he took here.

10. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park

Robbie is supposed to be headed back to Holland tomorrow for a physical and to find out what kind of offer he will be getting. For purely selfish reasons I hope he waits until Christmas to sign, but in the big picture it would be great for him to get in the club system sooner.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

If he gets an offer, it's likely to be for about $200K the first year and it'll be extremely important for him to put a full year with the squad.

Other than that, the league's min non-EU salary goes up to ~ $420K the following year, as he turns 20, and you have to be pretty darn good to justify it.

12. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Be nice to have another young talent getting good training in Europe. Maybe a future World cupper???

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Okay, I'll bite. Who the *&*k is Sacho Cirovski? And why are you confused about whether or not you're him?:confused:

14. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

University of Maryland skipper (im translating for you here ;)), and I believe Sandon's on medication for the rest.

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

David Arvizu was in a slightly different situation, and didn't finish it, but did something similar at the U-17 World Championship last year.

16. sterno1

sterno1 New Member

Aug 7, 2006

heard that maryland preseason started yesterday.. was rogers there? i'm a huge terp fan, i'd selfishly like to see him play out this season before he moves on to bigger things..

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

He is close to a deal according to Yanks Abroad!

Hooray!

Hope Johnny V is next and Dax after that.

Young and skilled = must go overseas right now in US Soccer history.

Just no choice really. Especially for 2010 help in the middle.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Well he didn't pull it off then, did he?:eek:

19. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

You're right, but it was against Argentina at the Worlds. Impressive composure and skill nonetheless.

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=002025

No offer for Jonathan. But let's keep our fingers crossed Robbie seals the deal this week!

21. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003

I don't think the U17s played Argentina. I think that game where Arvizu really exploded was against Italy.

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

So Heerenveen good times! Hopefully they go after a few other US players!

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

I think you're right. I'm mixing my U20's and U17's together. The Italy game was when a few Italian players went ape**** afterwards. The Argentina game was Adu and co. vs. one half of Messi - so that was definitely the U20's.

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

not too many more, only 11 can play at once

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Adu at Real Salt Lake, last year I think, sombrero and a 30 yard sprint. Wasn't it Arvizu last year at the Dallas tournament who did a sombrero in the box and then hit in a chileno (bike) for a goal? Video was up on ussf website...wait, I think it was the 2005 Nike friendlies, video still up at US soccer, but my network plays hell with streaming content...