Road to the 5th US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by ceezmad, May 16, 2012.

1. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    GMOs! Ahhhhh

2. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Yea, their Thai food, Chinese food, Italian food, Mexican food. London Thai food is outstanding. Not British. Best thing that ever happened to the British isles was semi open immigration between the common wealth

3. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    yep. Lived there for 2 years (work)

4. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    And while we are discussing food, Chicago, is this pizza or lasagna?

Attached Files:

5. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Absolutely crazy , I ate there 30 years ago this summer . I was 15 visiting my grandparents in Belfast - I went on a 3 day trip with my grandfather to a funeral on Skye . It was for a man who served under him in WW2 , and he was from a " village" on Skye. It was literally like the end of the earth and I had forgotten the name of the inn we ate dinner at. But that totally brought it back - insane .
    It seemed to have been the only place of business for miles ( 15 year old mind , 30 years back). I know we drove a good distance afterwords to our hotel... Btw the funeral was in the "village " at "end of the road" past the three chimneys restaurant... Man .. that was in a memory dustbin... Thanks for stirring up a memory of my grandfather.

HerthaBerwyn and GHjelm repped this.
  6. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I don't think I could like a restaurant without a bar.

7. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    It's a tourist attraction.

8. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's Scotland, the whole country's a bar. [emoji4]

9. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It was almost 15 years ago for me, although it doesn't feel like it at all. I was 18/19. It was my first trip overseas. I saw my first castle, and had my first experience with a different scope of time and history. I even had my first drink with my dad. All that said, my meal at three chimneys after a wonderful night in a Portree B&B is still one of my most vivid memories.

Time to plan another trip to the highlands.

chiladd repped this.
  10. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm flying into Phoenix tomorrow to be constantly reminded by the 112 degree heat that I'm Swedish and 15 lbs overweight. Anyone know a good bar downtown to watch Wednesday's game?

11. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Checking with coworkers down there.

GHjelm repped this.
  12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000

skinut repped this.
  13. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Will be interesting to see if Pauno is going to rest anyone. Their field is turf, right? I'm expecting Pauno to sit Schweinsteiger.

14. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved that episode of "Twilight Zone".

Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  15. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I go downtown. http://majerles.com/

GHjelm repped this.
  16. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    In addition to this insight into British cuisine, I expect he's also going to note the poor quality of Airline food any day now.

He'll become aware of Dave Chappelle some time in the 2040s.

17. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Looking like it's gonna be around 30 k in attendance by game time. Was hoping for 35 k but unless they have yuge walk up numbers, probably look at 28-32 k.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  18. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Is this game being hyped in the city?

BTW I was in Cincy last year with the family, stopped at Pi Pizzeria. Kids wouldn't touch it, they're too spoiled with real Neapolitan here in Chicago.

loonixxx and bunge repped this.
  19. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Yea, pretty decent buzz around the game. Chicago is a more familiar rival than playing Tampa bay and Charlotte week in and week out. You say Chicago and everyone instantly thinks of cubs fans.

Never heard of it.
    Larosas is the local favorite but travelers find the sauce too sweet. Marco's or Dewey's are my favorites.

20. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm bummed I have a gig and am going to probably miss this game (good to be gigging...bad to miss games). I actually wanted to travel down for this game to see Cincinnati FC. play but it looks like I will have an opportunity to travel up from Louisville on July 9 for that Sunday game against the Richmond Kickers and maybe bring my Austin Berry bobblehead for an autograph. Does any Cincinnati supporter on here have some recommendations for !)Food and beverage before the game and 2)My best timing and opportunity to complete said Austin Berry bobblehead signature?

Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  21. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    #996 Cincy Liverpool fan, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    The players sometimes stay for two hours after the games signing autographs on the field.

Food/drink is a preference thing, over the Rhine has some nice restaurants/bars. If you want to partake in pregame stuff "‪Die innenstadt‬" do their thing at macklenburg gardens. The pride at "ladder 19", right next to UC's campus. Rhinegheist has a pretty good set up. If you want to go down on the river moerlein lager house has great food and beer.

Taste of Belgium off short vine is my favorite post game eatery but that's more of an open air sit down place (Great beers though).

22. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This string of US Open road games is actually just what the doctor ordered. Assuming we keep winning, 3 straight road games will help boost the team's confidence. Really think we have a legit shot at the title this year.

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rooked repped this.
  24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Try the Dell Webb community center. Its just NW of Glendale.

GHjelm repped this.
  25. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was there last night. Drunk golf cart driving and jello body shots. Crazy night. I'll probably go to the Majerles place. It's literally one of the 8 places that exist in downtown Phoenix and is right in between the two others I walk between.