Road to Russia (Rumo à Rússia) 2018

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    I had a dream that Guedes was out of the world cup through injury, had to get up and check my phone to make sure it wasn't real. lol

I honestly think besides Ronaldo, he'll be the only real attacking threat for us given others form.

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    His trick to great health lately is the excessive smoking

Nani_17 repped this.
  3. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    B.Silva? Also I still think A.Silva will be fine. Despite the friendlies, I don't think scoring will be an issue.

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bernardo is playing awesome right now

5. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Ah yes forgot about Bernardo. Hope he plays the second leg against Liverpool

6. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I am with you on this. The friendlies would suggest scoring will be an issue, but, given the talent that will be on the pitch, and not only that.. but talent who for the most part has now had time to gel and build some level of chemistry, i dont envision scoring goals being the problem.

7. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Ruben Neves with another huge performance in a game between #1 and #2 teams in the Championship. Some good moments: great tackle, evades a defender deftly and then a magnificent FK to pretty much seal the return of the Wolves to the Premier League. Also shows off his ability to hit 50-yard pinpoint passes (watch the one to H. Costa). His confidence is off-the-charts at the moment.
    http://www.okgoals.com/match-highlights-1523051087---40

nbstriker8 repped this.
  8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    If Coentrao returns to RM now because of the disciplinary suspension then it's curtains to his chances to be included.

9. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
  10. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
  11. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I am not so sure about this.

I would argue it does not impact his chances of going to the WC at all. Zidane appears to favour a rotation policy, and given the league is done, and the motivation being the CL, Coentrao will likely get a couple games in betwen the end of the season.. which is really not that far away.

Although a lack of playing time can make a player 'rusty' it will also ensure he does not get injured. He is a 30 year old professional who has been playing all his life. When training camp comes out for the NT, it wont take him long to get back into top shape... and reunited with his boyfriend Ronaldo, who sets the example for off-pitch training regimes, well, its likely he follows the example being set for him.

I do not see this as a negative at all.... except for Sporting.

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Come on Gurreiro, you better recover in time.

13. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In other news Moutinho is already back playing for Monaco, so we got lucky there, and Rony Lopes scores for a 8/9th consecutive game.

It's hard to believe he wont go due to Guedes, Gelson, or Bruma. Out of all them he probably has the best finishing ability and danger around the box...Gelson is so skillfull with the ball but useless in the final third most of the time for example.

14. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yup, i been saying this for a while and get shit on, lol

I am not a big fan of Gelson. I acknowledge he has skill and pace, but in the final 3.. it appears he is lost sometimes, lack of confidence? not sure?

either way, he wont be starting if Bernardo stays healthy.. so it is irrelevant.

15. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Gelson's finishing is atrocious. Truly. I've noticed this since day 1. More alarmingly, he's just never improved - which is extremely odd. I don't know if it's psychological or whatever but his technique in shooting at goal is very poor by professional standards. Which is a shame b/c with his pace and dribbling skills he gets a ton of chances.

16. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    His eighth in 7 games and 10th of the season, he also provided Falcao with the assist for a 2-1 win. Getting to a stage when Santos cannot ignore him.

https://www.publico.pt/2018/04/07/d...es-garante-mais-uma-vitoria-do-monaco-1809519

17. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Semedo with another good game for Barca.

Are you watching, Santos?

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Andre Gomes too.

19. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    lol.. please stop saying that.. your giving fernando motivation to start him again..

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I rather have him as a good in form player than not. If he makes it to NT it will be because he deserves it.

dipluso and Jonathan Pimentel repped this.
  21. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Guedes with a quality assist today and a good solid 60 minute performance before fading a bit..to be expected after he got a few small injuries.

Looks more and more likely he'll be called instead of Nani, whose been stapled to the bench the past few months for Lazio.

22. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    With as well as he is playing and the decisiveness he shows in the penalty area, I'll have a difficult time accepting it if Rony Lopes isn't on the squad this summer even though I'm not expecting Santos to name him to the final 23. His goal over the weekend is the exact kind of scoring opportunity Portugal sorely lacks from match to match.

dipluso repped this.
  23. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    What position does Lopes play at Monaco?

And who is he competing for a spot against for Portugal? Sorry I have only just started following him, seems to be solid

24. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lopes plays mid. Usually on the left side but he can play center and right as well. He would most likely compete with João Mário for a spot. At the moment it looks like Bernardo, Moutinho, and Carvalho have the other mid spots.

25. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Thanks, Mario has the advantage because he's a known quantity I guess.

Off topic, Semedo is terrible at defending after watching the game today