Road to Russia (Rumo à Rússia) 2018

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Have to admit it's pretty fun. We just have to tell them Saudi Arabia has a better team and it will really make them lose their collective shit. They hate them more than anyone else.

2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yup, Saudi Arabia has already been done earlier on so just brought up Iran's other enemy just for fun ;)

3. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good job with the Saudi reference in the group b forum. I told you it would set someone off.

Sumol repped this.
  4. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, it was hilarious but really ridiculous at the same time. That's a really unhealthy hate they have for another country. The Saudi's probably hate them just the same too but jesus, that whole region is a mess.

5. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    So, i know we are still 6 months from the tournament. However, with how the domestic seasons are shaping up across Europe, does anyone see any potential differences in the starting 11?

Any chance we see Danilo get moved to CB - i personally do not see it. Not enough time to make the conversion.. or friendlies lined up to do so.

Semedo will take over the RB role given Cedrics injury problems that have been popping up all season long.

Coentrao is making a move to claim the LB spot; though i know its an unpopular comment in this forum given his injury history. Can not deny that he is still world class.

I also feel LW is up for grabs too with Bernardo locking down the RW spot.

Feliz Natal a todos!

NewLaw83 repped this.
  6. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't see Danilo going to CB either.

I think Semedo will be the starting RB by the time the WC starts.

Personally, I don't care who starts at LB either Coentrao or Guerreiro as we have depth for days at that position. And Santos can plug either one in there without missing a beat.

LW not sure... Joao Mario is my first thought to be starter with RQ coming off the bench to fill in if need be. Maybe Andre Gomes fights for that spot?

7. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I see no way Andre Gomes get a sniff at LW... and would be shocked if he starts during the upcoming WC.

8. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    My ideal line up:

-------------------------Ronaldo------------A.Silva
    -Bruma---------------------------Mario---------------------B.Silva
    ------------------------------------William
    -Coentrao------------Pepe--------------Danilo------------Semedo
    --------------------------------------Rui

We seem to be forgetting J.Moutinho quite a bit too.. i could see him slotting into that CM role, he seems to have his confidence and magic back when working with B.Silva.

9. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ah forgot about Bruma too. Not sure about Danilo though. Maybe he can be converted to CB but I still think you need to go with someone like Fonte even though I am not a huge fan...

10. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah i would be surprised if Gomes gets a starting role too.

11. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cancelo was superb today vs Fiorentina at RB.

Joao Mario on the otherhand is a shadow of what he once was...so so dreadful.

He needs to fix his situation ASAP

12. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Anyone concern about Ronaldo’s current form?

13. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Im always concerned with Ronaldo's form. Seems to me he is still dealing with an injury.

14. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yes, I am.

The way i look at Ronaldos situation though is the following:

He is still Ronaldo, and his finishing has not declined to the rate he would not be dropped from the NT line up. He is still clinical and above and beyond any player in the finishing department Portugal has... one could argue he is also unhappy in Madrid at the moment too, which always seems to play a role in his form and the fact Madrid is argubaly done with the Liga this season (atleast in regards to challenging Barcelona). His form is a concern at the moment, but without knowing the cause behind it, it doesnt go beyond a slight concern for myself as i believe come WC time, his mind will be else where and his determination will be higher then ever.

Lets face it, this is likely his last WC for Portugal, and who knows.. possibly his last international tournament.. especially if Portugal adds a star to the jersey this year (which is why his motivation will be so high.. i say that as if it hasnt been in the past)

NewLaw83 repped this.
  15. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'm glad Bruma is playing regularly for Leipzig and becoming more well-rounded, but I don't trust him as a starter for Portugal at the 2018 World Cup. He's still too much of a boom-or-bust player in my eyes; good for a moment of greatness or a wonderstrike, but too quick to kill the build-up with standing on the ball and trying to create for himself. He still looks a lot like young Quaresma to me.

Also, Guedes is back from injury and playing 90 for Valencia (he had an assist over the weekend). If any attacking player is shoehorned into the starting lineup after not previously featuring for Portugal it has to be him.

On another note, I'm so sick of these young guys going to bad situations (or not taking advantage of the opportunities they're given). For the love of god, someone please rescue Joao Mario and Andre Silva from Italy. There are Silva to Everton rumors, but I have no idea if they hold any water.

16. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    all RM fans on here are having a melt down they want him gone from the club as soon as possible

17. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    When Cristiano does leave RM, I hope there aren't any Portuguese on the squad so I can root for them to be terrible for a decade. Those fans are so entitled and ungrateful.

verde-rubro and artielange84 repped this.
  18. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I said awhile back that Portuguese players and the Italian league do not go well together. I know there have been some guys to have success there like Figo and Rui Costa but it's mostly a death trap for the Portuguese. Even the EPL is a much better fit for our guys, but la Liga is still the league best suited for us.

19. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Have you been watching Andre Silva with Milan at all? I personally havent seen much of him outside of Europa. How bad has it been? and why do you believe so?

I must admit i have over looked Goncalo Guedes.. it is very possible he gets that LW spot.. and if Joao Mario doesnt get his shit together.. maybe Bernardo or Joao Moutinho slot in there with Gelson on the RW?

********, so many possibilities.

20. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Silva isn't starting in the league, he hasn't scored all season and barely plays at all in the league.

I'm not even following football much these days but even I knew that Milan have been a poor club for years and he would struggle in Italy.

A mid-table team in Spain or England would have been a better choice. You want to be starting at his age, not sitting on the bench.

Mind you,it doesn't mean he hasn't learned a lot. At least he'll be fit and looking to impress to pickup another transfer. Same with Mario

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I've seen at least a handful of Andre's league appearances this season and every time you'd think AC Milan didn't even have a striker on the field because there's no good service into the box or creativity in the midfield/wings to pressure the defense and create opportunities/space for others. While I love Andre's willingness to fight to gain possession and hold the ball up for others, he's not a big threat to attack off the dribble outside the box. He needs service in the box because he's a finisher.

Unfortunately, he's on a team that isn't exactly the most fluid. And he's not playing consistently. And the team is on its second manager of the season, one with little experience and asshole tendencies. For all I know, Andre's lack of effectiveness in Serie A (he has been fine in the Europa League) is due to terrible awareness and poor tactics on his part, but I'm biased in his favor, so... If anything, he looks unsure of how the hell he supposed to do his job when floating around the box waiting for the pass that will never come. I haven't seen him blow good opportunities, I've just seen him not really get any good opportunities.

On the bright side, Wolves have apparently made a bid for Andre that's in line with what AC Milan paid for him. It was rejected, but another is supposedly on the way. That would be a great move. Wolves are running away with the Championship, they're managed by a Portuguese, they've got Neves and Jota leading their attack along with Cavaleiro. They're a really fun team to watch and almost assured of being in the Premier League next season, and have the money to stay in the PL once there. I'm really hoping that happens.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  22. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    £35 million rejected by Milan, Wolves in for a second bid. I hope he goes there it would be an ideal place for him to develop

NewLaw83 and eurodad repped this.
  23. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    This Wolves bid is news to me. I as well believe it would be a very solid move in favor of A.Silva.

Speaking of moves, i believe the hire of Carvalhal in Swansea has been much better for Renato, and has improved since his hire.. hope this continues as he could have an impact when in form.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  24. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Little Rui Barros did well for Juventus from midfield always liked him the little midget

25. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Did you not see the wolves v Swansea game ?