RMC 2018 Leg 2: Colorado at Salt Lake, Sat. 21 July 8 pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jul 20, 2018.

1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fake News?

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Lizzie Bee with some screen time in company with the Cup itself.

El-ahrairah, Lizzie Bee, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, NO! Just, not news.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to ask if that was her! So, what’s the status, do we lose the Cup?

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Won the cup. 4 points for RSL, 1 for Colorado. Even if Colorado wins the 3rd game RSL would keep the cup on tied points.

SpiffCoug and RSLer repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Way to blow 3 points.

The problem as I see it for RSL is that they THINK they’re a good team while not doing the work to actually be a good team.

They had no business “losing” this game tonight.

Sad.

Todorojo and TheBiff repped this.
  7. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just gave away 2 points home.

RSLer repped this.
  8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s good! But in MLS we just lost 2 points that we should not have. I actually give the CR coaching staff credit for their result. They came out with a terrible strategy and with the wind strongly blowing against them they quickly got behind. They made the right adjustments during the delay.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorrect. If Colorado wins by 4 (not going to happen, but could theoretically) Colorado wins the Cup on the total goals tiebreaker (4 goal win being bigger than the 3 goal Salt Lake win in Game 1 this year). So the Cup has not yet been awarded for 2018.

(Now I have no expectation Colorado can win by 4, so Salt Lake will win it, but they haven't yet)

A 3 goal Colorado win and the season series is essentially tied, so Salt Lake keeps the Cup on the "current holders retain Cup" tiebreaker.

A 1 or 2 goal Colorado win and Salt Lake wins the Cup on total goals (This would be my prediction)

A draw or Salt Lake win and Salt Lake wins the Cup on points.

stucknutah, 15 to 32, Todorojo and 4 others repped this.
  10. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Not even mad at this point, just feel like a sucker for staying.:thumbsdown:

11. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Have you seen us play on the road though?

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me I didn't look as terrible as I imagine I did! After rain, wind, heat, going up and down those steps a million times, holding a heavy trophy, etc I really don't think I was looking amazing. I don't think I can go watch the recording. [emoji23]

13. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    By "that spot" do you mean "literally anywhere within 35 yards of the goal"?

Speaking of, shows well in this Tweet. Basically Plata is leading the team in every offensive statistic except his shot rate, where he's comfortably behind Bofo.

14. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #64 RoyalNonesuch, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Amazing start (welcome back Plata and your Quad, you make a big difference), lethargic finish.

Not only did we trot out Kreilacherman again...we took our foot off the gas. We started wasting time, we started passing back constantly. After the break the Rapids pressed higher and our young backs got put under pressure and frequently started huffing long balls ahead that Colorado ate up...killing our possession and build up.

They were relentless against our right side, most of the danger originated there. Lennon was isolated a lot, didn't have much help from the mids and Castillo was quite good. Give him credit. IMO the coach probably should have adjusted to the overloading going on there, maybe he tried to - I thought Kreilach and Baird were dead-legged long before any subs started happening.

Also, the wind did matter. It enabled one side to apply high pressure because clearances died. Once we had the wind against us everything shifted. Their Defense is freaking horrible and we put little pressure on them. Service lofted into the box tended to sail over our D - we were lucky not to give up goals on multiple occasions in the second half where that happened.

Sadly the Rapids enforced their ugly tactical will and did deserve the point. I had suite tickets for this one, which was great considering the storm...even if the delay was quite long. Great to see the early genius, both goals were really strong, both assist sublime.

Ismitje and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without the weather delay I feel like we probably win this one. We looked like we didn't care when play resumed.

16. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad had about as bad of a game as I have ever seen him play, one player doesn't lose a game, but Glad damn near made that happen by himself. His absolutely dreadful man marking basically single-handedly gave the game away, nevermind the billion turnovers he had and just sloppy play all around.

Not much more needs to be said about the weather delay, it was like two entirely different crapids team, the strategy prior to the delay was apparently "foul the ******** out of every RSL player and hope they suck", which then switched to "overload the midfield and press everything in that area", RSL had no answer and made zero adjustments from the restart to the end of the game. Disappointing by the coaching staff that they had no answer, not even a slight adjustment to try and make a difference. Having Kreilach and Beckerman out there being completely worthless together for 70 minutes was as frustrating a failed tactic as possible, how Sunny wasn't brought on to provide a change of pace in that part of the field is mindboggling.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the moment of Plata's goal to the start of the weather delay was only seven minutes, but in that time Colorado almost scored twice. The game had already shifted, and it just kept up after the delay.

18. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lennon had himself a howler. Nearly made up for it with the last touch of the game.

19. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Matt Doyle makes the point basically everybody is making.

"So here's the point I keep making about RSL: They should not, can not play both Kyle Beckerman and Damir Kreilach together in deep central midfield in their 4-2-3-1. Neither can cover any ground at this point, which puts far too much pressure on the young defense to step off the line and make plays upfield – plays that have a tendency to go horribly wrong."

The Sunny sub happened way too late, and wasn't for the right person. Why on Earth is Sunny not starting every game...

20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I feel like they're forcing KB onto the field. It has to be coming from higher up. If not, then the coaching staff is blind. KB is just not a starter anymore, and pairing him with Kreilach just doesn't work. We won't look any better as a team until this issue is fixed.

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, their 2nd goal came after Sunny came in, so the Kreilach/KB5/Sunny grouping were on the field and I’m not sure what their responsibilities were. On Castillo’s attack I don’t remember seeing Kreilach or Sunny. Castillo embarrassed Beckerman on this attack. My feeling is that if Silva has been the CB, maybe Castillo would have been defended better when he got to the box.

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    That was a pretty damn good goal for the Crapids on their 2nd goal. Rarely does Rimando get beat near post. He stays home better than any keeper in the league and to smash that thing between him and the post was well deserved.

Sadly.

For all the huff & puff and bluster from the HC this team plays with little to no passion or bite most of the time. If not for the weather delay this is a different game but at the same time WHY was it a different game after the weather? It was frustrating to watch them play know that they were content to just let the Crapids bring the game to them and they would ho hum it all the way home. You could tell that game was headed to a draw and I'll be damned if RSL didn't almost give that thing away at the end. Sava could have been the hero on the very last play but that wouldn't have changed the fact that RSL got played of the pitch in the second half's.

I think that this team really believes that they are a good, no great, team. But they're not, not even close to being a great team. They struggle to be just be good half the time.

It's pissing me off. No heart. No hustle much of the time. If you can't see that KB needs to come off the bench and that they are so much better with Sunny I don't know what you are seeing.

Also, get a damn striker. Relying on Baird is insane. He's a rookie for crying out loud, talented yes but if you expect him to carry you through to the playoffs you are sadly mistaken Dear Leader and C. Waibel.

If the lineup stays the same this team won't make the playoffs. Period. Write it down. Put some money on it.

Or, I could be wrong. Been wrong before.

TheBiff repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had family stuff come up in Southern Utah that, based on reviews and this thread, was a blessing.
    I was able to catch the last little bit driving home Saturday night. Unless it is the absolute only way you can take in the game, do NOT listen to the Gov and Hackett call a game. Jesus ********ing Christ. They had the attention span of my 2 year old (actually worse) and painted a picture so vague and non-descriptive that I honestly thought RSL had scored, not the cRapids on the equalizer.

Todorojo and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  24. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    Couple that with the SJ tie, and RSL dropped four points - AT HOME - to the two worst teams in the WEST.

pate, RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  25. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who does RSL play this weekend ...