river plate x corinthians

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Carlillos2theMex, May 4, 2006.

1. Carlillos2theMex

Apr 22, 2006
    Güiscansen
  2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I've been watching River Plate ( and Boca Jrs) on what little time they have on American TV on FSC and Fox Sports Espanol - They were really great 2-3 years ago and then had to start selling their talent to Europe - And they have seemed kinda weak last year and even this year

So I was really impressed when they got out of group stage - And then doubtful when they had to go against a really strong club like Corinthians with Tevez - Last week it looked like they gave the series away to Corinthians when they allowed a goal off a free kick very late in the game to make the score 3 to 2 - I thought coming into last nights game Corinthians had the series in hand at home - All they had to do was tie or even lose by 1 to 0 or something like that - At half time up 1 to 0, I was reluctant to watch more of the game

Then they just imploded - Wha' happened? - Don't they have any midfield? - Are their defenders really just a bunch of hacks who can leap up in the air but dont' have any skills or sense of what they're doing? - The own-goal off the scramble off the corner was forgiveable - That sorta thing just happens but if you're a pro you just gotta shrug it off - But then they failed to clear a soft lob off to the side and instead gave it back to the advancing River attacker (Salas ??) who slid it off beautifully to an unrushing forward who just slammed it in

So whats the norm for Brazilian club soccer - Sao Paulo who are calm and steady under pressure - Or Corinthians with all this talent but no control over themselves and who crack under pressure

btw - I thought it was awesome the way the fans unfurled this HUGE jersey over the bank of seats at halftime

3. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    disgrace.

4. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Did anybody catch that scene where the police were pulling fans into rooms and beating the crap out of them? I was kinda taken aback for a second then I remembered this is brazil where this is common. I remembered all the videos and pictures that i've seen over the years of indiscrimate brazilian cops who beat and kill anybody without any mercy or justice.

5. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    And you understand it was like what, 50,000 fans vs. 60 cops tops. If them fans had balls they would've rescued their partners ;)

6. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Saw that. The cops took them to that room to give them a proper spanking. :D

Yeah, it's a common thing in Brazil. Check out this movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293007/

7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    If them fans had any brains, they would've left quietly instead of inciting a riot by going up against the barriers and throwing stuff at the police - Lots of pictures of cops being attacked and being led away by colleagues to safety - What really seemed to quiet the rioting fans was NOT the police but photographers coming up behind the police and taking pictures of the rioters

8. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You are correct sir, lack of brains.

Your assuming now that cameras saved the day. Nah, they didnt have the courage to go all out. Halfway crooks ;)