News: RIP Eusébio (1942-2014)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SirFozzie, Jan 5, 2014.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    #1 SirFozzie, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Sad news, as it was announced overnight that Eusebio had passed away at the age of 71.

He may not have had much of a link to Boston, other then the statue of him outside Gillette Stadium.. (seven games with the Minutemen, playing in the first soccer game at Foxboro Stadium).. but for a large part of the Portuguese population (both at home, and amongst the large expatriate population here in the New England area, there was no brighter light in the soccer world.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was an amazing player in a totally different era when players were larger than life. RIP Eusebio.

bwidell repped this.
  3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Eusebio with one of the great World Cup performances of all time:

IRguy repped this.
  4. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good friend of mine played for The Cosmos. His remembrances of Eusebio,

"He always trained by himself...warmups, laps, dead ball practice.He handed out postcards in the locker room with his picture and autograph. His legs...from the knee down his shins were wavy from all the brutal attacks and no shin guards were strong enough to prevent cleats up tackles. In the game vs. the Cosmos and Pele, he outplayed Pele until the crowd flooding the field ended the game somewhat prematurely. I'd never seen anyone hit a direct kick with such ball movement …"

Truly one of the great legends of soccer and will be missed by all fans.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I watched Santos play Lazio when Pele was still in his prime, and he was fouled constantly from start to finish, everytime he touched the ball (he did get a measure revenge by scoring under the wall on one of the free kicks he earned).

I think in those days, there was no persistent infringement policy.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good to see as Ludlow has a thriving Portuguese community. Eusebio was one of the all time greats and deserves respect even if his ties to the area are limited.

8. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole thing always felt to me like a failed marketing effort to the Portuguese community -- and it now really feels that way. It feels like he was used, then kicked to the side.:(

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  9. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a quintessential Revs marketing campaign. It was a decent idea that had the Krafts appear in the beginning, then not fund to any degree, then slowly petered out until it became a punchline.

There was a large crowd from the Lusophone community the night they brought out Eusebio. Nothing else was ever done to entice them back because the prevailing attitude has always been "well they like soccer and we play soccer so..."

A sad story all around.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you build it, they will come. The new CMGi Field has cup holders! Isn't that fantastic!

11. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone ever figured out what the slot and little post on the cup holders are for?

12. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a similar note, has anyone else noticed that cup holders (at all stadiums, not just CMGi/Gillette) are at just the right height to wet the hair of the woman sitting in front of you. I'm torn between "You're messing with my beer" and "I wonder what her husband's gonna think when she gets home with the 3 kids, smelling of beer."

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a pen holder. Perhaps there are hardcore (NFL) fans that want to keep track of stats as they watch the game. Just a guess.

14. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought was that the little nib is to hang something from. In many other countries cell phone are worn on a lanyard. The slot could hold a folded program. They are both a waste if you as me.