RioTinto Expansion

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by CrazyJ628, Jun 18, 2014.

1. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Ultimately, it comes down to simple supply and demand. As has been pointed out on more than one occasion, Dell Loy is an intelligent business man. That means if Dell Loy and company feel they are losing money, they are going to discuss expansion. They aren't going to put a random metric on it, "well if we lose potential gains for five years straight then we will consider expansion," and just as unlikely they aren't going to say, "well let's at least lose out on potential money until the team is sub-par in case attendance drops." If there is money to be had RSL is going to take advantage of it. Of course that won't happen this season, but I guarantee the announcement comes within the next couple of seasons.

G.dSilva repped this.
  2. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Speaking of Johnny, I have a theory that the All Valley Tournament was actually fixed, that Johnny and Daniel had a pre-arranged agreement that if they met in the final that Johnny would throw the match and let Daniel win.

The agreement involved money which Daniel later used to book the last minute "very expensive" plane ticket to Okinawa in Karate Kid 2, and it involved Daniel breaking off his relationship with Ali. At which point Johnny would have a better shot at winning her heart back.

But this is all better left for another time and a different thread.

rslfanboy repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dafuq is going on in this thread

TheBiff and the cup repped this.
  4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gawd Up, who pissed in your Cheerios? I might know NOTHING (did I get the right emphasis?) about Mr. Jones and the Cowboys, but still, it's not like I said that Tony Romo was a better quarterback when he was still dating Jessica Simpson or something.

the cup repped this.
  5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a munday and I had two wisdom teeth and three fillings done over the weekend, not in the best of moods today....

:(

the cup repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so you pissed in your own cheerios and ate them? That explains the widsom teeth and feelings

Ismitje, TheBiff and the cup repped this.
  7. RSL Punk 2

RSL Punk 2 Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Meh. All I know is that Ben Chang's a better Myagi than Pat Morita was.

DrownedElf, acima and 15 to 32 repped this.
  8. G.dSilva

G.dSilva Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Those suggesting Monarchsville WVC is a fait accompli are naive. All that was signed March 3 was a hastily-signed "60-day exclusive negotiating window". Radio silence since. Further, I'm told by municipal sources that "more than one major hurdle remains". The WVC window slams shut Sat May 2nd.

DLH has a long, almost celebrated history of abrupt negotiating starts, stops & pivots. Further, he's on record stating numerous other municipalities (in state & out) are courting the Monarchs.

The cold reality about what USL 2015 is--and isn't--will continue to set in. And I suspect the cooler heads over at Wasatch Property Management may soon prevail.

I'd place the odds of Monarchsville WVC ever being built at no better than 50/50 today.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it be smart business to openly discuss the negotiations after they were announced to be starting? From my limited experience, no. The only stuff that would hit the press would be negative. No news, in this area, probably means good news.

I think everyone on the boards knows that the WVC thing isn't a sure thing, but that isn't the talking point here. A lot of what is being discussed revolves around what the stadium is for. That's where you've had your gripe. That doesn't match with "well it might not even get built there!" complaint. It's going to get built, that seems pretty obvious. Where is being finalized.

All in all, you never answered UP's question of whether your complaints of this thing were just a round about way of not liking DLH or if you don't like the venture. Honestly, it's a bit confusing. And I'm fine with ignoring the big elephant in the room

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least I got some sweet pain killers out of the whole thing.

acima, Lizzie Bee and 15 to 32 repped this.
  11. G.dSilva

G.dSilva Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    ??

What does my personal affinity toward DLH matter? Have not my posts been rigidly limited to RSL club strategy & business justification? I have zero interest in personalizing this. That drama bores me. As does the bizarre board baggage/trauma some people have referenced.

Let's keep this discussion above board, no? Cheers.

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well just advertise, "Hey addicts, free Percocet to the first person willing to stalk me long enough to figure out where I live." At least that's what I've always thought when tempted to post something like that on Facebook.

As for the actual conversation, I agree with 15: dafuq? The stadium will be built. The purpose is not just for turning a profit for the Monarchs. That was never the goal. This is just another step in the developmental process for RSL. It's also proof that DLH wants to invest in this team and do things right with this hobby team of his.

13. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're so high above the drama, how about you stop ignoring the elephant and just be straightforward with all of us? That would be the most drama-free strategy here. If you're not RSLFM, say it. If you are, give an explanation and own up to the drama you created already. This discussion forum is EXTREMELY low drama, very respectful, and I consider a lot of the people here as friends because of the good feeling that the moderators have worked hard to instill since the ugly days that drove me away years ago. If you are RSLFM, be assured that this place is about as drama-free as anywhere you'll find on the internet and enjoy the conversation. But please, don't accuse the regulars of being emo. We're incredibly chill here.

Mods: feel free to delete this post if you feel it's furthering the drama. Completely not my intent.

acima, Ivensor, Allez RSL and 2 others repped this.
  14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good bit of the drama back in the day was RSLFM's 'pot-stirring' skills. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pot Stirrer

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, instead of the Winco on the corner of Fort Lane and Gentile in Layton, there is a chance that the new stadium could be built there? Nice.

16. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having built many buildings in WVC, I can assure you this isn't the case. WVC is one of the easiest cities in the county to work with and they actively want the stadium built there. May 2nd is the day a stadium location or contract negotiation extention will be announced.

G.dSilva repped this.
  17. G.dSilva

G.dSilva Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Cool. Definitely defer to your 1st-hand experience. This is the level of info/discussion sought here. Thanks.

Should be an interesting 2-3 weeks either way.

18. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    #68 kirsoccer, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Yes, above board. "Free from all traces of deceit or tricky." A welcome suggestion. I suspect drama free is preferred around here.

Allez RSL and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  19. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So hey, ya, this is a cool photo:

uploadfromtaptalk1428980890643.jpg

20. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Awe-some. Truly.

21. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What's that area that looks like it's being developed on the east side? Is that the new pavilion or is it parking?

22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's the pavilion.

As far as expansion goes, I could see it happening in the next 5 years. Take the time to plan it out over the next 2-3 years, and year 4 or 5 make it happen. At the very least, I'm hoping they're at least planning it out, so they have something in the works even if they decide to hold off.

23. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So good news (for me at least)! I completely forgot about my tax return, so that will now be used to purchase my season tickets that I couldn't afford. The tickets won't be as good as they were, but the thought of only going to a few RSL games this season was almost impossible to bear. A couple days ago my niece broke my phone, and after much thought I decided the RSL tickets must come before a new phone.

BalanceUT, TheBiff, Ismitje and 2 others repped this.
  24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that would be great to be so independently wealthy to forget about Uncle Sam giving me money.

25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're sorry for this interruption of our regularly scheduled inane and asinine discussion of everything BUT RSL soccer. We won't that happen again.