Rio Olympics: USWNT v France, August 6, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Aug 4, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    so excited for this match up.... I'm not sure our defense is organized enough right now to win this. And the French team is incredibly experienced. Plus, I have a bad feeling Pugh will sit this match out.

I'm thinking a tie; 2-2.

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I think we'll see Dunn and Krieger this time out. Possibly Rapinoe.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Dunn starting makes things interesting for me. First I like Dunn on the right as much as I like Pugh over there assuming Heath stays on the left. Second, no matter how this one turns out it is quite possible the US and France meet again for a medal. Not using Pugh here not only gives her recovery time but it give Ellis a different card to play if they meet France later on.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Do we know Pugh is actually hurt? The kid should have the best recovery time of any of those players.

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one thing to know is that LeSommer won't whiff on any balls in front of goal like she did in Sheba leaves - and I don't expect the woodwork will be as helpful against Les Bleus this time either.

lil_one repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They r saying Day to Day but I doubt they push it if they can have her at 100% for the knockout rounds.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true...that game could have had a completely different result. For those who didn't watch the last meeting of US and France, here's the highlights:

kolabear, exref and CoachJon repped this.
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The history between US and France since the 2012 Olympics:

June 14, 2014: W 1-0
    June 19, 2014: D 2-2
    Feb. 8, 2015: L 0-2
    Mar. 11, 2015: W 2-0 (Algarve final)
    Mar. 6, 2016: W 1-0 (#SheBelieves)

If both teams show up to play, it should be an exciting match, probably a match worthy of the knockout rounds.

10. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    This game will most likely be for first place of the group with the USA behind France at this point. France won 4-0 while we won 2-0. That gives them the edge in goals differential and goals scored. Two of the three tiebreakers. Not sure how much Ellis wants to push for this win but coming in first means we could avoid the top team from another group. It might be worth trying to win this since the top team from other groups could be Germany/Canada or Brazil. None of those are pushovers and Im not sure which group we would play but I would not want to play Germany until the final. Winning our group should be enough to put that to rest

exref repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group G 2nd place faces Group F winner in the QF, which very likely will be Germany. Group G winner faces 3rd place from Group E or F. We definitely want to win the group.

exref repped this.
  12. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    On the other hand Brazil may be a stronger side than Germany in Rio. Germany have lost Laudehr and haven't beat the USWNT since the Pleistocene. Winning the group probably means meeting Brazil in the Semi.

13. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------------------Solo----------------------
    Krieger--Sauerbrun--Johnston--Klingy
    ----------------Long------Brian-------------
    Dunn---------------Lloyd------------Heath
    ---------------------Morgan------------------

I think Krieger is better defensively, and I think Dunn is the obvious replacement for Pugh.

I went with a 4-5-1 look because I think we'll need to focus more on defending the midfield. Keep Lloyd, Brian and Long compact and allow Dunn and Heath to work the wings.

14. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wishy-washy on whether Horan should start. She knows the French players; they know her. She will also understand their communications, which might be helpful. Of course, I'm sure many of the French players understand English enough to know what our team is saying to each other too. I like Horan's ball control. Midfield will be tight. Neither she nor Brian are speedy, though, and I remember our problems with France's pace merchants in the friendly there.

15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 jackdoggy, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Virtually the same conditions as the New Zealand Match - 78 for the high 45% humidity.

Victory Tour – Nice
    Olympic Qualifying – Essential
    Tune-up Games - Necessary Building Blocks
    NOW its serious, without a doubt the most important Match in 398 days. Opponent was circled milliseconds after the Draw was announced.

A couple of predictions while gazing through my Red, White and Blue spectacles:
    Defensively – Aggressive, stifling pressure – think 1st half WWC Semi vs. Germany.
    These documented Female Bad A**es will not yield.

[​IMG]

And BTW………Hope says NO.

Offensively -
    [​IMG]

22 hours and 3 minutes to Kick my little soccer buddies.

2016 W I L L B E G L O R I O U S

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  16. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't we try to win regardless? Playing for a tie generally guarantees a loss.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is how I will console myself if we don't win the group, but I'd rather them go for winning out. (BTW, recent history against Germany does include a few draws in friendlies...and I think they're pretty clinical from the PK spot if it went to KFTPM. We do match up against them well though.)

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    According to Coach E, everyone practiced and Pugh is available for the match.

exref repped this.
  20. wf1g

wf1g Member

Oct 15, 2014
    on Tour
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
  21. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no Goal-line technology or Goal-line referees.
    I heard that the IOC rejected these steps because it would have cut into their Lobster and Caviar Budget.

wf1g and Semblance17 repped this.
  22. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    We will have to win to win the group.... Only scoring 2 in our first game makes it virtually impossible to win the group unless we win out.

Unlike many, I give Ellis no credit for any success we have. It is basically we win inspite of her. So it comes down to how much are we willing to risk to try and get this win? Does she rest Pugh for later or play her. Is Rapino even ready to play at all?

23. ziggy1010

ziggy1010 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I think we risk a lot to win. It gives us essentially a rest/easy/meaningless match versus Colombia. I would start Dunn and if the game is still in the balance in 2nd half (which it likely will be), I bring Pugh on to help deliver the fatal blow when the French are wearing down. Rapinoe is not ready to play and won't be able to defend the flank. We don't need her anyway. Heath is proving to be equally awesome on freekicks / corner kicks....which should be a surprise to no one. I'm with you that I give JE very little credit ... except for getting some good assistant coaches who can design creative set pieces. It would be the time to pull some out of the bag. And I like Swanson a lot, but doubt JE really does what he would do if he were head coach...especially in terms of player selection, starters, etc.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Really surprised at no Johnston for France from an offensive standpoint.