Rio Olympics USWNT general discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Apr 14, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Olympic draw took place! US was placed in Group G with New Zealand, France, and Colombia. So the group schedule will be:

Aug 3: v New Zealand in Belo Horizonte
    Aug 6: v France in Belo Horizonte
    Aug 9: v Colombia in Manaus (yes, Manaus)

2. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nooooooooo!!!! NOT Manaus!
    Well, the simple solution is just not to procreate for a year.

I like this draw for the USA; at least the USA doesn't get stuck with Sweden again in the group stage.

Brazil, Sweden, China AND Germany, Canada, Australia. Wow! Some good matches there.
    It'll be interesting to see who advances out of those 2 groups, with Germany and Brazil being favored.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other reason to win the group:

Semblance17 and BlueCrimson repped this.
  4. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odds in Vegas - - - -
    Bet $100 that the USWNT will win Gold (and they do)........you profit $135.

Bet $165 that the USWNT will NOT win Gold (and they don't)........you profit $100. (and you are off my Christmas Card list)

6. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
  7. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very bold, but it convinced me. The Olympics should be moved from Brazil.

8. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately there is no real precedence for postponing/moving an Olympics in the modern era, and even more unfortunately I have a feeling this will become the first precedence. Terrible to say, but this will probably catastrophic. I hope I'm wrong.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Heavy juice there.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #10 Cliveworshipper, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016

Well, the 2003 WWC was moved from China to the USA because of a SARS epidemic, and a men's WC moved from Colombia to Mexico City because of political instability and a bankrupt economy.

The 1940 Olympics was cancelled outright because of a certain instability.
    The scheduled venue was Tokyo. It didn't seem prudent to go forward. Since there are folks still alive from then, it would seem to qualify as modern.

And there are other issues in Brasil besides Zika, among which being that the government looks ready to implode into anarchy, and that all the ocean water sports are risking the health of athletes by making them compete in water that is full of shit to 1200 times safe levels....

11. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a precedent. The 1976 Winter Olympics were originally scheduled to be held in Denver, but in 1973 they were moved to Innsbruck, Austria because of a financing problem in Denver.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #12 Cliveworshipper, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016

The 1916 Olympics scheduled for Berlin were also cancelled. It seems there were reasons for that, also.

I'm not sure a 1944 games were even contemplated.

The "modern Olympics" includes anything from 1896 on. Games previous to that are the Ancient Olympics.

13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Wikipedia:

The 1944 Summer Olympics, which were to be officially known as the Games of the XIII Olympiad, were cancelled due to World War II. It would have been held in London, England, United Kingdom, which won the bid on the first ballot in a June 1939 IOC election over Rome, Detroit, Lausanne, Athens, Budapest, Helsinki and Montreal. The selection was made at the 38th IOC Session in London in 1939.[1]
    Because of the cancellation, London went on to host the 1948 Summer Olympics.

14. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd forgotten about the 2003 WWC being moved because of health concerns. I'm not sure you rate the WWC as close to an important event as the Olympics but it does give me hope that this might be moved.

and might I add that it is refreshing once again to have people reply to my posts without being complete assholes.

15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't watch National or Local News.......to depressing. How much traction is story getting???
    If it isn't, the reason may be that NBC paid $1.23 billion for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio. NBC.....the caring folks that rigged a GM pickup to explode in 1992 to reinforce their own "crash test" documentary claim that the vehicle was unsafe. We'll see how concerned they truly are about public safety when its their wallet at stake.

Ya want to shine a big spotlight onto your sport?
    Boycott, convince the other top eight teams besides Brazil to boycott.
    Organized the "We May Want to Get Pregnant Someday Without Complications Tournament" (or "WMWGPSWCT" for short:D) in the US opposite the disease infested Olympics.