Richard Sanchez @ UANL Tigres (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by autobus39, May 29, 2013.

1. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US born and raised Mexican U-20 national team goalkeeper Richard Sanchez was sold to UANL Tigres today by FC Dallas with a sales price reportedly of $1 million per Ives.

2. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Nice move by FCD, Richard too since he'll be bound to get some time down there.

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, I was really enjoying having a Mexican youth NT player in MLS, but I guess it's a good move.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Wow, I've never been able to get anything close to $1 million for any of my Ives.

beamish repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Don't worry.

FCD's other young homegrown keeper, Jesse Gonzalez, is a member of the Mexican U18 national team. He'll be in contention for Mexico in the next U20 cycle.

FCD just got a million dollars for a player that never played in a game for them, and was unlikely to in the near future as he was #3 on the depth chart. FCD had signed 4 other keepers during this past off-season. They signed Fernandez, re-signed Seitz, drafted Zoebek, and signed homegrown Gonzalez. All of those guys are on multi-year deals.

For FCD fans this sale was just a matter of time. We saw it coming.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ImaPuppy repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I should mention that nothing has been announced about this sale by FCD or MLS. Just saying................

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    1 million dollars for a player that never played. Way to go DALLAS :cool:

8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives also reported there is a sell on fee "that will ensure FC Dallas receive a significant amount of any future transfer of Sanchez from Tigres."

However from Clint Eastwood on the youth national team boards:

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2013/5/30/4380880/richard-sanchez-fc-dallas-transfer-tigres-update

FC Dallas club president Dan Hunt was also asked about the deal on his weekly Facebook fan chat.

Richard Sanchez is on a long-term contract with FC Dallas and is currently a part of our plans.

Obviously the club isn't going to comment at length about this until things are sorted out. But from what I have been able to gather is that Tigres screwed things up by announcing something that wasn't finalized yesterday. Does that mean this deal is dead? No, not entirely. But for the time being I would stop counting that transfer and allocation money until something comes from the offices up in Frisco.

10. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "A proposed move to send Sanchez to Mexican side UANL Tigres fell through after Sanchez balked at the move, source confirmed to SBI. FC Dallas and Tigres had agreed on a fee prior to the Under-20 World Cup (approximately $1 million for a percentage of Sanchez’s rights), but Tigres never reached an agreement on personal terms with Sanchez, who sources tell SBI is not interested in a move to the Mexican League in the immediate future."
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/07/dallas-sanchez-strikers.html

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that seems rather strange

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It may on the surface but it smells like this has Clavijo's hands all over it. The Strikers are owned and operated by Traffic Sports. Coincidently, Clavijo is a former Executive Director with Traffic Sports. They have been a big player in the 3rd party "ownership" of international players. It would not surprise me in the least if the move was designed entice Sanchez to ink a deal with Traffic. They would just pimp Sanchez out. I don't know how this would benefit FCD, if my theory was true, but it could potentially benefit Clavijo "under the table". Of course, I could be totally wrong about my theory but Clavijo, to me, has always come across as sneaky and untrustworthy.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    More than "may happen." It's done.

http://www.bigdsoccer.com/fc-dallas.../6/24/5839428/richard-sanchez-transfer-tigres

It should be noted that since Richard was a homegrown player, FCD pocketed more of the transfer fee than for non-HG players.

As Tigres already had purchased Richard's "economic rights" for $1 million a year ago, this was really inevitable. There was no point having him stay with FCD as their 3rd string keeper.

Dallas' academy has become something of a goalkeeping factory as far as MLS academies go. Jesse Gonzalez has already been signed as a HG, and they have had a whole gaggle of other kids get called up to US youth teams recently. With the Peruvian national team keeper currently as their #1, and a solid american veteran as #2, there was no point having both Sanchez and Gonzalez there........................

15. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He's looked really unsure in the past dealing with crosses, so this doesn't come as a shock.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo repped this.
  18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, he played in friendlies for both teams??

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 ChuckMe92, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Sanchez was called up to a pre-Olympic training camp for Mexico U-23's earlier this year, but did not make the final 18-man squad headed to Rio. Neither did Jesse Gonzalez, who had also been called up for pre-Olympic training. Also, neither of them made the initial 25-man preliminary Olympic squad, nor the Toulon Tournament roster in May.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Although we did have two Mexican-Americans on their recent U20 roster. Romero, formerly of LA, and Herrera of RSL. Also three U18 keepers if I remember correctly.............two from FCD (Avilez and Mercado).

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, but "I always wanted to play for Mexico, but why doesn't Mexico let me play". The pasture is not always greener in the other side.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Statistically, the number of soccer players worldwide who are not ultimately cut from major tournament rosters is pretty much zero.

24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 ChuckMe92, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Yep, you're spot on. There's also a young keeper from El Paso, TX named Hector Holguin who plays for Santos Laguna U-17 and Mexico YNT: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/hector-holguin-at-santos-laguna.2023078/

The big fish for the US here is Jesse Gonzalez, and though it may be the natural optimist in me, I'm pretty confident in the chances of him switching to the US. Somehow I can't find the article, but I remember reading something that he actually had a personal desire to play for the US, given he was born and raised in the US, but it was his Mexican family pressuring him to stick to his heritage and Mexico. If he can't eventually make it to El Tri, I think he would be more than willing to switch to the US if his comments are true, and I'd be glad to have him. As for Richard Sanchez, I don't think he's a national team-caliber player for either country. He's never made a competitive appearance in Liga MX or MLS before, only playing in Ascenso MX (soon) and NASL as a professional. Tigres UANL has just been loaning him out or leaving him on the bench with probably no real plans for him in the future.

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanchez had 5 starts for Tampico Madero in the Ascenso for the 2016 Apertura. For the 2017 Clausura, he's listed as having no appearances.

I bring him up because he's one of a few names for El Tri's goalkeeping future being brought up on BigSoccer MX now that Jesse Gonzalez is switching to the US. (Gonzalez was a major loss for them......)