Rich people

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Feb 28, 2012.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/revolt-of-the-rich/

Probably for another thread, but this quote struck me -

My son learned that last year in college. The rich white American kids hang with other rich white American kids, plus the foreign students (who are all rich, no student aid for them). The blue-collar white Americans are in a different circle.

My son said, "Kids who live in a bubble understand each other."

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As has been pointed out, it shouldn't be too hard to demonstrate that wealth HAS in fact been redistributed. UPWARD. And that that redistribution has been having negative effects on our nation.

DynamoEAR and fatbastard repped this.
  3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the GI Bill?

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  4. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just upward but outward which has dragged hundreds of millions of people worldwide out of poverty. That's something we should celebrate.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Agreed but you're not going to win the U.S. Presidency making that case.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe if the population of the world hadn't increased by a billion I'd be more celebratory about 100 million more people out of poverty. ;)

Really, you have to look at percentages and in that sense poverty is at its highest level in nearly 50 years in the USA.

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which shows the short comings of the nation state setup. It creates an entitlement due to citizenship based on where your mom dropped you out of her box.

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand. Are you asserting that the people of the world are, on aggregate, no better off than they were 30 years ago?

Well our measure of what poverty is is different than what it was 50 years ago so that point is moot

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Where's your wife from again? ;)

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    In the developed world? Yes, I assert that.

The developing world has gotten better, but I doubt that has much to do with USA's rich people. China is the real catalyst to improved infrastructure in Africa while the northern European nations chip in with aid money.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I'm not sure why you're completely ignoring the market forces, especially free trade, that have helped millions of people to better living standards.

Matt in the Hat repped this.
  12. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He admitted to it in 2008. Doesn't anyone remember Joe the Toilet Mechanic?

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Say what? Connection please.

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Something like, "spread the wealth around."

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It would be nice if CEOs and the like had had their earnings cut into at the same rate middle and working class people have had. If "we" are going to celebrate, they need to pony up with the rest of us.

16. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    People who complain about rich people and money...are those that don't have money. Where's my handout?!

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing that I can post here won't be the straw that broke the camels back with the supermods and gets me banned again, but will make every one laugh and rep the post relentlessly, so please, fellow /Pol posters, consider this a fill in the blank contest for "What would Mr. Warmth Say"

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    "That's certainly a thoughtful post, will you please elaborate over lunch. On me. My number is 405.867.5309. Call me. XOXOXO"

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Which wasn't a redistributive comment. It was about creating an economy that had greater income equality, with the argument being that such an economy is intrinsically stronger than one that bulges at the top and bottom.

Why do I even bother? The early Obama might have stumbled on occasion, but the post-2006 Obama is too careful to get caught out. So every time there's a report that he did -- he apologized for America, he advocated redistribution policies, the "build it yourself" furor -- it's always because his comment has been willfully misinterpreted and misrepresented.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes yes we hate them because they are beautiful. Move along now, please.

taosjohn repped this.
  21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Die in a fire never gets old.

22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Die in a fire fueled by the corpse of your whore mom.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey talking point, your mom at least has the decency to swallow shit like you spit out in every post.

24. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny - cause I hear more complaining from wealthy folks about money and taxes. And you've obviously never seen any of the Real Housewives. They're constantly complaining about rich people on that show.

Yeah, so about that - we have some handouts for you.

I sent it to your office the a few weeks ago, but they told me that it had to be delivered to the local bathhouse in order for it to really reach you. So, being gay and comfortable with that kind of thing, I walked to the bath house. And they said they had to kick you out of there and I should check the truck stop. I asked why, and the attendant said, "scaring off all the action! I told him to hit the Pilot on I-95"

The toothless meth whore in the truck stop parking lot said, 'that bitch was taking all my trucker tricks so I ran him off'. I asked where he probably went, and she said, 'those kinda guys, they're always hitting up the rest stop.'

So I'm at the I-95 rest stop near exit 181, and I get to the mens room and there's this guy tapping his foot, and I'm like FINALLY, I found NC Soccer United and I can give him his handout!

But it wasn't you :(

Nope. It was some other guy. And he said "oh, I just finished with him. Nasty piece of work that one. Likes it ....hmmm" and then he trailed off with a look of horror and shame on his face. "Anyway, he said he was headed to a MENSA convention."

So if you could tell us where the MENSA convention meets, I can come by and give you a handout so you can finally get that blotchy patch 'down there' taken care of.

russ, GiuseppeSignori, DynamoEAR and 4 others repped this.
  25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    OK remind me never to make you mad!

HouseHead78 repped this.