News: RFK Stadium set for demolition by 2021

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lot 8.

dadman, sitruc, TowsonDad and 2 others repped this.
  2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm questioning everything about your post that RFK is a superior soccer viewing experience to Audi Field. It's not. RFK had a different atmosphere (that's totally rooted in nostalgia at this point), but the actual viewing experience of soccer is vastly improved at Audi Field.

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for me. They moved me from midfield to the end. Now I can't see what's happening on half the pitch.

TowsonDad and Winoman repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'll admit I don't care much one way or the other whether Audi Field is better or worse than RFK. It's main value is that the economics of it allowed DC United to stay in the DC area.

sitruc, Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not necessarily. There were good spots at RFK as there are probably good spots at Audi. But they way Audi was put together does not guarantee a great seat everywhere. Audi is a cheap piece of shit MLS cookie cutter. Even their suites suck, designed like a prison cell. If they had any brains, a foot bridge would connect the east end to the bar roof. There is so much wrong with that stadium and it is brand new.

fatbastard, shawn12011 and PSURoss repped this.
  6. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    some of my most magical DCU memories there were, um, getting more than one girlfriend in various spots around the stadium (the only good thing baseball did for us was the new "press box", he he). Oh, and the sisters from Venezuela. but also storming the field after dispatching the 'pukes in the '96 playoffs, T-Faul handing the mallet for my 4-year-old to bang his drum. So many more.. (thea, Aprile, post-game in Skip's office).

But lots of other non-DCU good times there - Mick and the Gang for the Steel Wheels tour when no-one thought any of them could even live another 30 years let alone still be performing; Sir Paul, The Who, Pink Floyd, being on stage with the Foo Fighters for '98 HFStival (ooh, and sharing brownies with Fred and Kate - that was definitely cool). Watching Cruyff with the Dips (he lived a block from my elementary school!), US V Germany 100th Anniversary game....place has never been so packed.

Even Wembley got taken down.....

fairfax4dc, dadman, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, one of my teammates rented the house to him!

dadman, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you would be wrong. My view at Audi, as I have said before, is not better than it was at RFK. Yes SOME sight lines at Audi are better but maybe 30-40% of them. Most people have the same or worse sight lines at Audi.

9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you are correct sir.

10. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going old school - either '74 or '75. Allman brothers and Grateful Dead in a 12 hour jam. After ingesting substances, somehow ended up back stage. Still couldn't take my eyes off the bouncing balls....

JeremyEritrea, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess some had great seats at RFK, but for me the pitch of the seats was too shallow and the curvature of the stands meant you were too far away from the touchlines. Those problems are dealt with at Audi. I suppose, however, that those seated behind the goals at Audi have a legitimate complaint, if they formerly sat on the sides at RFK.

griffin1108, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I sit behind the goal at both, thus no change for me.

13. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, RFK was mostly a football stadium. It wasn't all that good for baseball when the Nats were there. It had very little appeal for a soccer match.

The low angle of the seats was especially annoying. If you had anyone taller than 5'6" sitting in front of you, they'd impede your view. My current seats are 14 rows back in the west stands, and other than a small part of one of the corners, my view is 100% unimpeded, regardless of the height of the people in front of me. At RFK, the seats closer to the field did not typically give you a better view of the field.

fairfax4dc, griffin1108 and Hedbal repped this.
  14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I'm 5'-6" and the seats in RFK sucked. I'm also 14 rows up in the west stands and Georghe Muresan could sit in front of me and I still would have a great view.

15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    RFK's 100 & 200 seats on the Quiet Side were for baseball. They were bad for football and soccer, but the seats in the corner were the worst. The seats on the Supporters side were pretty good. The best seats were in the 400's on the Quiet Side.

TowsonDad repped this.
  16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The 400's were very good seats and the 300's on the quiet side were good places to watch in general.

17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss the size of the seats and the leg room in front of them

sitruc, TowsonDad, Falc and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had seats in the Mezzanine, near @griffin1108. A terrific view, and it was protected from the elements. Seats were a good size, and like @UnitedBorn said, there was sufficient legroom.

griffin1108 and TowsonDad repped this.
  19. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The seats were a little wider at RFK, which makes no real difference to me (bein' skinny), but those around me?

Lookin' at you, Abner.

Gonna try the red seats maybe....The "Free upgrade" seats are quite nice and comfy, but it's hard to see what's going on, and they're far from the included food and booze...

20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Yeah, we finally moved up to the Mezz the last two or three seasons at RFK because our seats down below sucked. The Mezz was great, I could stand up and watch (never anyone behind us) and you had seat side service for food and drinks. My wife was terrified of all the cracks in the concrete and fact the Mezz started shaking if the visiting fans were packed up in the upper deck in the northwest corner. I miss the Mezz, but AF is better in so many ways.

21. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    One row in from the top of section 107 (so people walking along weren't bumping into my back like they did to everyone in row 10) was fantastic because both benches heard me every time I jeered the opposition (like asking (especially) Sigi how his IRS audit was going, or shouting "Dancy is a Felon", etc) or asked Ben "they do know we are attacking the other goal, right?" they definitely heard me (they would even sometimes turn around). They were lucrative seats to resell when Mr. Posh Spice came to town and I could sell them for $150 per and the ladies could be up close when he took off his jersey.....l

Also because it was right on the aisle with the gate down to the field and we would often get to talk with VIPs as they walked by. One particularly fine memory is in the late 00's when they still let us bring in confetti. I used to bring big trash bags full of weapons grade confetti (the kind of really awesome federal government shred that make chads seem large. This stuff was insidious - it was itchy and if it got inside your clothes you would continue to find it 2 days later coming from places you didnt know existed on your body). We sucked so bad that year the last game of the season I still had an entire bag to throw. So we just let all the kids go nuts and have confetti wars for the second half.

KP comes walking by on his way down to the field at the end of the game while the urchins are happily making a mess. He gets clobbered from behind with a huge handful. He spins around with a furious face ready for blood. But what could he do? Its a bunch of little kids having a good time! This pisses him off even more and he stomps down to the field. We watch him on the sideline impatiently waiting for the dreadful season to finally end and vigorously trying to shake the stuff out out of his hair and lucky light-brown hounds-tooth blazer (he did own at least one more, right?). But as he does it just keeps going deeper and deeper and then he starts scratching and making it worse. If we thought he was mad after getting slimed, well, let me tell you, we hadnt seen anything. But half the section was laughing watching him scratch and making it worse!

Some years later at a post-game party I asked him if remembered it. Damn straight he did! :) Right down to not knowing which kid to choke for sliming him. I didnt have the heart to tell him it wasn't one of the kids but a "grownup." No, it wasn't me and I will never tell who it was...

22. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Memories...
    One quibble. I believe confetti was banned in the middle aughts. It was blamed for blocking the drainage and I believe the Nationals were behind it.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When all else failed, I always blamed the Natinals. :)

stangspritzring and Falc repped this.
  24. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I don't blame loss against Universidad Catolica in the Copa Sudamerica on the Nationals because it happened on the road.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's OK, I still always blame the Natinals. :D

song219 repped this.