Reyna on US Soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bsky22, Oct 19, 2017.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Is Osorio a good manager for Mexico?

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    You don't know wtf you're posting about.

onefineesq repped this.
  3. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    Look, if Reyna - or anyone else on here - doesn’t have an advanced degree in economics, they don’t have the credentials to speak with authority on this topic. In Sunil we trust.

HartwickFan, TOAzer and russ repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think I do.

Feel free to provide data to support your statement that “MLS have produced most of the player talent that have power the team to a record of 2002WC-Qtr, 2009CC-Finals, 2010Rnd16, 2014Rnd15, 2016CA-Semi.”

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Any idiot can look up the rosters. Do it yourself.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I’m pretty sure Reyna and Klinsmann were talking about this kind of stuff.

Let’s start with 2016... we played solid and tough 433.

Wood—Dempsey—Zardes
    ——Bradley—-Bedoya——
    ————Jones—————
    FJ-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
    ————-Guzan————-

Never played in mls - Johnson, Brooks, Wood
    Didn’t play in mls until career on decline - Jones, Bedoya
    Left mls after a couple of years and career took off - demspey, Bradley, Cameron, Yedlin, Guzan
    Mls lifer - Zardes

It is quite a stretch that your beloved, defend at all cost MLS produced most of the talent of that team. Arrogance and Naivety!

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to lean towards your side of the argument.

USA vs Algeria in 2010.

Howard: Briefly in MLS, mostly in England at Man U/Everton
    Chero: Never played in MLS
    Demerit: Bolted to England, climbed the ranks, was at Watford
    Boca: Briefly in MLS, then on to Fulham, St Etienne, Rennes, etc.
    Bornstein: MLS to that point, Liga MX ever since
    Bradley: A year in MLS, then onto Ered, Bund, EPL and Serie A
    Edu: A year in MLS, then bulk of prime at Rangers
    Donovan: Leverkusen to mostly MLS, but a few stints in Europe by 2010
    Herc: Mostly MLS to that point, mostly Liga MX after
    Dempsey: Left MLS after a couple years

Looking at this, then others on or would have been on that roster like Davies(Hammarby/Sochaux), Jozy(Villarreal/Hull/AZ), Holden(Bolton), Spector(Man U/WestHam/etc), Gooch(Standard Liege among others), Clark(Frankfurt), Benny(HSV/Derby/Aarhus), Torres(Pachuca), Goodson(IK Start/Brondby), Findley(Nottingham), every one of them had experience abroad or was about to.

The stagnation of movement in our player pool recently is shocking. That seems a real problem.

There wasn't a single MLS lifer on our 2010 squad, and that's without any foreign raised players as we have now like Fabian/Jones/Brooks. I included Davies because he'd have been on it if not for the crash.

The complacency of our recent generation is eye opening.

Against T&T we had, Besler, Acosta, Nagbe, Rimando, Dax, Zusi and Wondo, seven players who dressed who've never played a club game outside MLS. Our players simply aren't spreading their wings enough. In my eyes at least. Seems to me the path of different clubs in different leagues is of benefit.

8. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm very inclined to agree. Unlike the vast majority of those working within US soccer Kreis accomplished quite a bit in a very shot time as a coach. On the other hand, may possibly have an attitude, but I seem to recall him going to Europe to spend quite a bit of time attending coaching sessions etc. Also must have been working on his coaching licenses as a player to pick up a player So it certainly seems like he was open to learning.

9. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Where exactly did Reyna "and Klinsmann" ever speak about anything together?

I was at one point suspect that Reyna was another part of the limited ability YNT group that needs to be send down the drain. Given that he seems to have moved to a job in the club side combined with his comments and comments about him from some I respect, it appears I maybe misguided guilt by association on my part. He may have been biding playing the so he didn't become another Hugo Perez.

10. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    [QUOTE="jond, post: 35992705, member: 179520"
    Against T&T we had, Besler, Acosta, Nagbe, Rimando, Dax, Zusi and Wondo, seven players who dressed who've never played a club game outside MLS. Our players simply aren't spreading their wings enough. In my eyes at least. Seems to me the path of different clubs in different leagues is of benefit.[/QUOTE]

And if we didn't someone like the 13th - 22th ranked MLS keeper depending on whether you prefer Whoscored to Audi, the USA probably still would have got out of T&T with a point.

BTW - the group with very little MLS experience below didn't exactly shine in Costa Rica under our wonderful Euro coach did they?
    1-Brad Guzan; 21-Timmy Chandler, 3-Omar Gonzalez, 6-John Brooks, 5-Matt Besler; 23-Fabian Johnson (19-Graham Zusi, 77), 4-Michael Bradley (capt.), 13-Jermaine Jones (16-Sacha Kljestan, 74), 10-Christian Pulisic (11-Lynden Gooch, 70); 17-Jozy Altidore, 7-Bobby Wood.

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    juveeer repped this.
  12. The Real Sekrah

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Can't believe there's actually people defending MLS coaching. Un-Be-Lievable.

Reyna's point was made. The arrogance of people in and around MLS is stunning.

Eighteen Alpha, yurch10, juveeer and 4 others repped this.
  13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Right. I think he's talking about his time as Youth Technical Director, going up against the predominant youth coaching culture and making some headway, but only some. Reyna caught a whole lot of pushback in those days from a lot of guys who had their fiefdoms down and who were very satisfied that they knew everything.

russ and juveeer repped this.
  14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure its complacency. Its value. Foreign teams don't mind our players, but MLS values them (as they try to grow the league) at a price that simply, Euro teams can buy the same player elsewhere cheaper.

Its not that our players aren't good, its their not worth the effort since they are a dime a dozen. Most of that '10 roster where no better/no worse than the current roster.

TOAzer repped this.
  15. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Master O repped this.
  16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [1] So played in MLS: Dempsey, Zardes, Bradley, Bedoya, Jones, Cameron, Yedlin, Guzan. Gee, 11-3=8. [Bsky 2-2=0.]
    [2] So played in MLS when career not in decline- Dempsey, Zardes, Bradley, Cameron, Yedlin, Guzan [Was Bedoya in decline when he joined MLS at age 29? Possibly that's what his body was doing to him... although for many players that's still in their prime. But, heck, Bsky, I'll let you have that Joker's wild].
    [3] "Left MLS after a couple [2-4 actually] of years".. in short, they were developed in MLS to the point that they were recognized by a variety of the world's top leagues. They were in their earliesh 20's to later 20's then. These were not teenagers going on to be developed by the academies of foreign clubs. They were homegrown players. And all found MLS as a successful conduit for playing at the highest levels. Are you sure, really sure, Bsky, "Reyna and Klinsmann were talking about this kind of stuff"?
    [4] Yes, Zardes has been an MLS Lifer. Although in 2016 he was barely older than, say, Dempsey when he last played in MLS. And significantly younger than was Cameron when he last played in MLS. It's hard to call him a "lifer" at that point.

Now let's continue this fine exercise with 2013 [Jurgen's one and only, ever forever, cup win as a manager.....Danke Landon], 2014, 2015, the Hex.. and then, just for fun, let's look at those teams that beat up on Jurgen's teams in 2015 and the Hex.... and ask how many of the players were from MLS. Because it's pretty damn inconvenient to the "Reyna- JK" thesis "that our guys playing in MLS is why we are now losing to Concacaf teams" when the Concacaf teams besting us are heavy with MLS players.

Remember, Bsky 22, the sad and unalterable record of history. Jurgen brought us deep and damaging failure...and he did so using the fewest possible MLS and homegrown players he could manage. Your's is the God that Failed.

17. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This was a discussion I had with a buddy recently...I think MLS is just in a phase right now that is not helping our NT players. The league still clearly lags behind better European leagues, but there is certainly enough money in MLS where they can afford large salaries for guys like Jozy and Bradley, salaries European clubs won't pay.

For the NT'ers like Jozy/Bradley/Bedoya, why would they not want to get paid more?

For the clubs in MLS, it's probably a draw of some sort for their clubs.

Euro teams, as this comment mentions, can get the same, or better, players for cheaper.

The issue is these NTers aren't getting pushed like they have in the past, where MLS didn't exist, or couldn't compete with Euro wages.

The only thing that can fix it is if MLS keeps growing, and the depth and competition on these rosters forces the NTers to push themselves in similar ways to what they would see in Europe. Right now, that's not the case, and I'd argue (along with Bruce's awful mgmt) that this was the biggest reason for this team's failure to make the WC. Paid a ton, not working too hard, no sense of urgency, no leadership, loads of complacency.

Not that tough to see what happened here!

Mr Martin, russ and juveeer repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    #44 bsky22, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Yes, there may have been some misinterpretation in the categories and some overlap. I believe your attempt is a step in the wrong direction, so I will adjust mine for clarity.

[1] Never played in MLS: wood, Brooks, Johnson
    [2] Returned to MLS after their peak/on the decline: Jones, Bedoya (if Bedoya doesn’t fit in this category then we should create a [2.1] players who come back in their prime but due to environment look last past it)
    [3] Left MLS after a couple of years and returned after their peak/on the decline: Dempsey, Bradley
    [4] Left MLS after a couple of years: Yedlin, Cameron, Guzan
    [5] mls lifer: Zardes

5 started career abroad and didn’t play in mls until after their peak
    5 started careers in mls and moved early on... Cameron is probably the only one that wouldn’t have been able to find something without mls.
    1 Zardes!

Who cares about the Gold Cup. That was LDs best tournament ever and was impacted by the coach pushing him. Arena was the one that brought us failure... and he did it with an MLS heavy roster.

As I’ve said to others, this is my view and having Klinsmann, Reyna, McBride, Miazga, EPB, Martíno, etc have a similar views only reinforces it.

juveeer repped this.
  19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so much to read and digest. and if you take it to another fantasy step, how many of our future nt's will have any mls lifer's? it seems the amount of youngsters making noise in Europe, and I don't have to list them, is continuing to expand. there are a few who will be considered for the nt who began in mls, miazgz..., but the bulk will be products of euro finishing school, if you will. there is no question that these guys will push our program. if our program does not address the lack of youth development, our mls will stagnate and be a home for over the hill pros from concacaf and so on. not qualifying is more than a wake up call. playing so many over cooked pros is vastly shortsighted. some of them should know when it's time. enough, wasting valuable drinking time.

20. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Wasn't Reyna the US Youth Technical director before he went to NYCFC? What did he do in that position to improve the things he is now talking about?

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
  22. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    The arrogance comes from England.

I have never met more arrogant people, not just for soccer.

I’m sorry but I can probably name you 2 or 3 English players on top of my head, they have never been good at soccer. Won a world title a long time ago.

The arrogance needs to change, I don’t care about England but us Americans, we have a lot to learn and change, we don’t have time for arrogance, this hurting our sport big time.

23. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Maybe the things he's now talking about are why he left.