Revs vs Metros 9/21 [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by smoothy, Sep 21, 2002.

1. crash2772

crash2772 New Member

Mar 18, 2001
    can i get a favor!?

sorry if this is a bit off topic... but it does apply to the game....

does anyone have a game tape i could borrow/copy? i was at work and had no way to see this game :(

i am in Durham NH right now, but travelling is no issue.

as you can all imagine my excitement when i checked mlsnet.com when i got in from work. I think the whole apt complex heard me yell.

2. RevsForev

RevsForev New Member

Oh my -

- Oh to have watched this one live....

Thanks Revs and thanks to all the UNDYING support I witness in reading every darn post on these boards by the regulars and not-so-regulars ...

The team sounds like they're playing schweeeet

3. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    What you didn't read in that story, but will read in one tomorrow is what Tab said next. He said, "You've got to give credit to Taylor Twellman. He is quite a handful and we couldn't handle him tonight."

He then proceeded to rip Metro management in a thinly veiled criticism of both coach and GM.

He didn't want to go out like that, and I don't blame him.

4. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    During the game I kept thinking that Ramos must be looking across at the Revs and thinking "why can't we play like that?" I mean, it isn't hard, it just takes attitude and self-belief. The comment that the September Mutts look like the May Revs is spot on! Not to oversimplify by pointing out that three May Revs are now Mutts and two May Mutts (plus Diego, wherever he is) are now Revs. That isn't the point. Rather it is a question of what Zambrano and Nicol have done with the players they have now. Zamborano's handling of the considerable talent he has on the team has been shite; Nicol's has been a slow, confident building up of egos, abilities and attitude until we have (bingo) "chemistry."

The win was tremendously satifying, a throughly professional stifling of a good opponent made to look bad by pressure and opportunism. Liverpool stuff through and through. At the same time the match had another Liverpool hallmark, that the game itself wasn't a very good one. The Revs simply smothered any tempo and edge that the Mutts could generate. The atmosphere was great, the occasion wonderful and I am thoroughly delighted that The Rev are where they are. But what I especially liked was the manner in which the team dismantled the Mutts, player by player in a way that ended by sending a tough, battle-hardened pro like Tab Ramos off the field in tears. I don't wish anyone badly and certainly not a player who has been outstanding for fifteen years but at the same time it is a good measuring stick of the edge this team has developed over the past three months that is quite impressive to witness.

One other thing, especially apt given that we were playing the Mutts. Every player on the Rev played well and well within themselves in this match. It was a real demonstration of professional development. But I want to single out Daniel Hernandez who, I feel, is maturing into the kind of holding/distributing midfielder that Leonel Alvarez was in his salad days. He is like a lock or linchpin at the base of the central midfield. Sort of the Redondo position from the old 94 Argentina team. I said to a friend that even in the crowd last night, which was certainly a soccer crowd with few Pattys tag-alongs, more than 90% of the people wouldn't get how good a player Hernadez can be when he plays within himself. I just watched the tape of the game, having been there last night as well, and my impression was validated by the way I saw him maintain and hold, distribute and occasionally destroy. He is one hell of a player and the trade looks pretty good with NO discredit to Andy Williams.

Great job, may they go far into the playoffs!

JIM DOW

5. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Danny CRANKED that shot, too. Pants actually made a save.

I like Hernandez more and more every game.

6. Owlsfan

Owlsfan Member

Jun 22, 2000
    Oh it was so sweet.

Thanks lads for the hearts and guts to go out and play. I'm so happy!

Kante and Wolde looked really good, and obviously TnT was his usual. Teriffic... like someone said, the Metrostars looked like the Revs used to.

Wow, there is justice in this world ;^)

7. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    Metros are a club in crisis.

Top two non-goal moments:

Kante's perfectly timed tackle that knocked Diallo over.

Adin Brown wagging his finger in Diallo's face after denying his header.

8. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Priceless

What about Lisi ? All by himself in front of the REVs goal, he steps in the ball and falls down... Priceless

9. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    John, if you don't mind, when it's up, please post a link to that story on the Metros' board.

10. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. My voice is now coming back. :)

I'm with you there. Perform well in the playoffs, build on what we've got going right now, and I still feel we will see that one day. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

I had a great time at this match. The crowd was into this one and it made me so happy. I don't remember hearing the crowd like this at a Revs match before.

TnT was great as usual. I felt so happy for Wolde. You could feel his confidence building recently as he started getting more playing time late in the season. Congrats to him on his two goals. He took a beating last night.

Congratulations to the team and to Steve Nicol and his staff. We're enjoying the soccer we've seen in the last 6 matches. Keep up the good work! Enjoy it and get back to business on Thursday. :) We're certainly pulling for you.

11. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coverage of the match on Saturday night 11 PM news...

Channel 7 - Led off w/BC football, other college football, then Pats, Sox and finally when I was afraid they were going to end the segment...talked about the Revs...Joe Amorosino (sp?) "The Revs left nothing to chance. THey pounced on the Metrostars and clawed their way to the playoffs." Showed goals 1 and 3.

Channel 4 - Led with college football, then Pats and then Revs. "Made the playoffs for the first time in 2 years." Showed highlights of all 3 goals. "Revs cruise to 3-0 win. After a miserable start they clinch a playoff spot."

Channel 5 - did something but I missed most of it except to hear the anchor call Wolde "Clark" and Taylor "Tyler." At least they were on.

Article in MetroWest Daily News on Sunday. Happy to see coverage, but sad he got some of the facts wrong...

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/sports/revs_playoffberth09222002.htm

Just saw Sports Xtra w/ Gene Lavanchy on Channel 7. He asked Michael Smith and Michael Holley who did they have in the Revs game on Thursday night. Smith said "Revs all the way." Holley said "Revs. I've been following this team...(all laughing)" Yah right, but that's the first time they got mentioned on Xtra as far as I know. Baby steps.

Oh and they said the "Revolution will not be televised. Or will it?" Apparently they don't know. I think the email campaign Magpie started needs to continue. We're on ESPN2 on Thursday aren't we? Let's keep plugging away.

12. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Bob Lobel had Wolde Harris on his Sunday night show. I don't remember much since I was barely awake and so were they.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Immense game by Wolde. The revival of the offense in the last 6 games has been due in large part to his finding a way to play with TT and working his tail off. What a gutsy play hurling himself towards the post to stuff in that rebound! And how about that heel flick over the bar - can you imagine if that thing went in???

The Mtros lost their composure after giving up the PK. They panicked, I thought. They had some good chances early, but there mistake was giving up goals 2 and 3 fairly quickly, rather than stabilizing their defense and living to fight back in the second half.

Did anyone notice that AW carried it all the way into the penalty area, with the whole goal to shoot at from 10 yards out, and opted to pass (which was tipped away by Franchino)? The guy's a great passer, but he's got to bury the shot when they give it to him.