Revs Roster Thread, 2019 Season

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opinion: What the Revs need in a DP is someone who can consistently score goals. Another midfielder doesn't achieve that.

rkane1226 and pwykes repped this.
  2. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I see your point, but we also need someone to actually provide some service to the striker.

3. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Gil does that.

goussoccer and Argyle repped this.
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, have our strikers yet to score this season because Gil's service isn't good enough, or because our strikers aren't good enough? I vote the latter.

goussoccer, MM66 and teskicks repped this.
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think he's been the highlight of the season so far, not even just about the goals. He adds some serious class.

6. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I think Gil is great, but he needs help. Penilla needs to return to form and we need actual service from the wings.

7. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, if Carroll was the guy, the ankle surgery probably ends that (hooray for ankle surgery). FWIW, he would have been the exact wrong type of striker to acquire. They need someone with a deft first touch and who can play combinations with Gil. Carroll's an in-the-box target man, and a shell of that given his injuries.

Holtby and Gil could cause some chaos underneath the striker(s). Would be happy if he's the target.

8. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, does it matter who we bring in? Friedel doesn’t seem to know how to use personnel or strategy anyway. Why would another body, however talented, change that?

A Casual Fan, MM66 and TOAzer repped this.
  9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Revs news but the Columbus crew just sent two players on loan to Hartford. If only there was a team in Hartford we could send players

10. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    NFLPatriot and TOAzer repped this.
  11. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Team clearly lacks defensive talent and depth and needs more capable CM. Burns might look into that next november

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to laugh at this comment based on the "next November." Then I want to cry because I realize he'll still be here.

firstshirt, Feldspar and TOAzer repped this.
  13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to cry because it is more true than not!

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was totally irresponsible to go into the season with only 3 CBs on the roster especially when 2 of those 3 are really backups. When you make a bold statement like Brad did during preseason about giving up 10-15 less goals and making zero changes to your CB does not bode well. Castillo was an upgrade over last year but from what I have seem so far its more like going from a Ford focus model S to an SE rather than a Focus to Mustang

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfer window closes May 7th. Revs have 7 more days to address their defensive woes or wait until July to do so. A trade should not be out of the realm of possibility. They have two first round picks in 2020, their own and SKC's. Plus they have a second rd from DC and Vancouver

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, who needs a trade or acquisition? All we need to do is get the players to work harder and the wins will start to pile up!

pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    We do need more depth - and more starting level players are alway good - but let's not over-react to the last game. We had our #3 and #4 center backs in. Prior to that, our defense had been showing much better organization.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this guy comes in and does well, it guarantees Friedel and Burns another season, no matter what.

20. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d amend that to “If this guy comes in and the team does well....” If the Revs still suck even with Gil #2, I don’t like Friedel’s chances. (I wouldn’t bet against Burns’ survival though.)

21. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sort of assumed one follows the other. I think a late arriving DP gives Friedel a mulligan for the season. "See, they would have made the playoffs if only (whathisname) was here! We have to give Brad another season."

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel is Burns' Chum. Our Chump, his Chum. Burns will go the extra mile with him.... as long as Mikey isn't worried about his own position. Once Mikey is worried about his own position, then, Brother, will we see the Mountains starting to go to Mohammed. But, until then, a sub-500 team that isn't the worst in the league, but will never ever have hope of contending for being the best in the league, is just f&%k'n fine with him.

23. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    My sense is that as long as the Krafts' keep seeing these expansion fee checks, what our roster looks like is of no real concern to them so long as we stay off the very bottom of the standings.

24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is now May 2nd! What actually needs to happen by the 7th? Current team agrees? Or more, like paperwork? Even if this was serious I don’t know if Mike Burns could get it done.

Most of us assumed May was BS, right?

Mulligan achieved.

25. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT