Revs Roster 2018 - III

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Aug 2, 2018.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where Machado and even Zahibo come in. They've already got replacements for Caicedo but would need to work on a Penilla replacement.

2. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I'm not sure i would count those as replacements, so much as players who play similar spots around the field. Neither of those guys (machado based on how short his tenure has been) have demonstrated the ability to do what caicedo does on the pitch in terms of being an absolute midfield destroyer, while also adding some value going forward as part of the attack.

a517dogg repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen enough of Machado either way but on paper he could play DM if needed.

4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Mancienne is not on the official Rev roster page yet so guessing we will not see him tomorrow.

Cropper asked for a trade and nothing materialized.....that was how the Lee saga started too. Interesting to see how Friedel manages this.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cropper will be starting next year. For Hartford...

6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Because it is a new system, with a new coach and new tactics. Some players will adjust and thrive with that and others won't. Certainly Friedel deserves some time to figure out which ones fit and which ones don't?

He changed probably half the lineup and those players are, for the most part, doing quite well. By this time next year he'll probably have changed the other half, continuing the process of replacing players who aren't fitting in with the program.

Soccer Doc repped this.
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cropper seems to have a bit of an ego, just doesn't seem to fit here.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, it's different than the Nguyen situation because LN had been here for quite some time (and apparently was discontented for a while).

One the one hand, Cropper is only half a season into not being a starter here.

On the other, Friedel seems content to ride Turner, not giving either the #2 or #3 any p.t. (which is only exacerbated by our unfortunate early exit from the USOC). And, Cropper didn't play as much as he would have liked in Europe, prior to coming here, so you can see how could be worried about his career slipping away.

TOAzer repped this.
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Stejskal, on ExtraTime Radio, talking about the biggest surprises at the close of the transfer window, said "Kelyn Rowe, a lot of teams were interested in acquiring him from the Revs in a trade." (starting at 44:13)\

Also talked about Juan Agudelo (46:15) getting a lot of interest in Spain and Turkey, and he is now eligible to sign a pre-contract for January. So if the Revs want to re-sign him, "the time is now."

10. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you pre-positioning your "patience" argument for next year? After all, he will have changed "the other half."

No; he (Friedel) nor Burns deserve nothing. Get this team rolling. Improve them! You've been arguing patience since the late SN era. All it got us was several tail end years of crap out of SN, followed by 5 (or was it 6) crap years out of Heaps (oh but the coin flip was Burns/Heaps genuis!!! You say). I'm done with patience. How about we try impatience and expectations for both Burns and Friedel and all of their successors until we get a GM/Coach that can punch their way out of a paper bag?

The way I see it is that if we go through 2 or more coaches and GMs a year we'll randomly find that diamond in the rough much more quickly than we are spending 10 years per GM and 5 years per coach on "patience."

And yes, I find even years where they "made" the playoffs to be crap years.

TOAzer and goussoccer repped this.
  11. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Or you might say that even though we changed a good number of players, we arent any better than we were and could well miss the playoffs..... again

I for one am sick and tired of waiting for something to change. Another trade window has opened and closed with little happening. We have massive needs and Burns is NOT CAPABLE of doing what needs to be done to fix them. UNACCEPTABLE. Other teams sign players, the Revs don't and no amount of spin will justify the piss poor job he does. There needs to be an organized effort to get him fired since the Krafts seem to not are/

12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a Revs fan has devolved, in the last ten years, into a nightmare. We have suffered through a bloody decade of failure in all directions, and our one "bolt of lightning" came from Jones briefly landing amongst us at the hands of pure Chance.
    Patience? Patience we've had enough of. It is time for the Revolution to live up to their name.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case anyone is wondering, a P-1 athlete visa takes 2-8 weeks to process. If we start the clock at August 3rd, that means he could be ready as early as @DC or as late as the end of September. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

14. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    So... Dielna not being on the bench is weird right? I dint blame brad keaving somi home, hes been terrible, but claude has certsinly been serviceable all season. Also our new cm has played 8 min in the 2 games since we got him. Seems to really be making an impact. Cant wait for mancienne to get his visa and sit on the bench for a month

a517dogg repped this.
  15. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just discovered that Dielna is the only member of the Revs among the Top 100 paid players in MLS.

Juan Agudelo is now 2nd at roughly 104th.

Jon Martin repped this.
  16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I think we have seen the last of Dielna - it seems he is in Brad's doghouse and is going the way of Lee and Cropper - invisible.

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    According to brad he isnt injured, so i guess he doesnt like his effort or attitude in training. I get it, you want your players to be professionals, but at a certain point you need to have talent in the 18. Otherwise you look at the bench for a sub and see zaxhary herivaux

18. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I not watch enough other MLS teams or do the REVs really have an extraordinary incidence of insufficient effort and insufficient professionalism from their supposedly more talented players?

Feldspar and BrianLBI repped this.
  19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the problem.

It's great to have a bunch of low paid guys who put in max effort. But you can't win consistently in today's MLS without players who can do this:

Wayne Rooney with tackle and assist for stoppage-time game-winner.

pwykes repped this.
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: All 23 MLS teams ranked by tier – v3.0 (final version!)
    August 13, 2018, 12:49AM EDT
    Matthew Doyle

Tier IV: Let's see what happens
    New England Revolution

Wow. I'm wonder who he referring to with that "don't play" comment. Rowe?

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect he means Caldwell, who has a high 80s pass completion rate. I can't imagine he means Rowe - the guy can barely complete a pass this year!

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Actually I don't preach patience all the time (I advocated replacing both Nicol and Heaps a full year before it actually happened). And, I've been in favor of replacing Burns for a long, long time (I know, people get confused because I speak up when I think he's wrongly/inaccurately/un-foundedly accused or blamed).

24. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Mancienne on the actual Revs roster page - indication the paperwork has cleared?

25. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooray! At this rate, Friedel will be starting him by the end of September!