News: Revs Roster 2018 -- II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really Mike? This is easy. It took no imagination, very little effort and he was probably easily signed. Hell they probably screwed up the loan paperwork that Hammarby said just keep him!

TOAzer repped this.
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Revs will now have the new DM coming in, Zahibo, Koffie, Caldwell and Heriveax. This signing to me means the end of playing time for Caldwell and that they have probably given up on Zach. Could also mean that they are not thrilled with Zahibo

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to trade Nemeth. Getting a 5th CDM.

Friedel's going to try the new 4-4-2-0.

4. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder if Herivaux regrets signing that pro contract.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably does. Wonder if they ever tried him at CB our RB

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rkupp and NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Penilla, Zahibo, Somi - all look to be serviceable signings in some way. And good to have them in place before the season kicked off. (Not sure yet if they are net improvements or not - that is a whole other debate)....

...but, the fact that they were all signed and on the ground early enough is "interesting".

One interpretation - it's possible that Burns feels a little more pressure to deliver bodies now that Friedel is in place than he did with Heaps?

In other words, the global audience knows who Brad is and with that comes more likelihood of major media coverage if the situation in RevsLand becomes less than what Brad expected it to be. (That just wasn't the case with Heaps in place, so Burns had no such potential exposure.)

(Or, maybe Burns is getting better at his job. Maybe. Or he was extraordinarily fortunate this season, relative to other seasons... Maybe.)

To pursue this idea a little further -

If Brad actually does hold this "power" over Burns - wouldn't it be nice if he realized it early, tested it a few times, and used it to push hard on Burns for a few MLS Best 11 (or Best 22, or Best 33) caliber players at the top of the roster.

And wouldn't it be nice if Burns felt enough pressure that he felt he had no other choice but to do so - including the long scary walk into Kraft's offices and having to sell them on it.

[Which is what I feel the situation may be with Burns - he rests secure in his job and therefore has been able to mostly avoid the aspects of being a GM that he finds more challenging - like needing to, on more frequent occasions, upsell and challenge the owners on a case for top-of-roster players. Sure, maybe he needed to do that to get Kamara or Nemeth - due to $ costs - but the team needs more top-of-roster adds, regardless of spend.]

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been a week since the Caicedo signing. Any updated on the P1? he in town yet?

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Another possibility is scouting. They hired a full-time scout this year - the alleged beginning of a scouting department.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think that this could be a possibility, as he's failed already once with a coach and is starting to realize...

TOAzer repped this.
  12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we'll soon have the pieces on hand (+/- de la Torre). Will a team emerge?

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I know just what Brad has in mind but from all the roster activity, odd lineups et al, it's clear that he has a plan and he seems to be having some success in getting it to play out. Hey, he even drafted a player in the draft that had everyone scratching their heads but it turns out Brad was right and his pick earned a slot in the starting line up. .It's too early to give Grad a grade but in my book right now he's showing that he is likely to end up with a solid "B" or better.

15. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is exactly why draft picks are worthless. No time for a #1 so send him to some lower division hell hole

16. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by “no time for a #1”? To me, Foxborough is the real hell hole for a young player who isn’t going to see any playing time.

Cannons repped this.
  17. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Thats true also. We have a long history of signing players that never see a minute of field time before theyre cut.

My point was intended to mean though that even a number 1 draft pick can't help us... maybe ever. Therefore to give up a highly rated player for draft picks is a waste of time and a useless move.

18. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No argument here. A #1 pick is only potentially impactful if it’s top three.

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They right now he's a "C-". I will say he is above average once the team is above average. Right now the team is on the lower end of mediocre .... [or are you using "Harvard Grading"? If so, then "B" it is! ....;) ]

20. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are aware that out forst pick in the years draft has started and played every minute of our games so far?

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about our pick at #8 this year who had earned a starting spot?

22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

One player out of how many ??????? I am 100% against trading any useful player for draft picks and/or cash.

23. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well if we're just going by Brad... One out of 3? He identified why the kid was drafted, and then he made the team. What happens if he turns into a squirrel with 20-20 vision and a nut factory?
    Why didn't they interview you for the job?

It sounds like you just want something to be angry about. If the Revs are that frustrating don't watch. But to post on the internet every day about how badly run they are, just seems a little passive agressive.

KapeGuy and Soccer Doc repped this.
  24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #99 RevsRule, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Im looking at the the Revs as an organization over the years. We have had many, many bad draft picks. Brad has been here 2 games and its too soon to see how that will work out.

It's frustrating seeing the atmosphere generated by good teams in Atlanta and Seattle and knowing that if not for the total mismanagement from the top down to the past coaches.... we could have something like that here. We have a high percentage of soccer enthusiasm nationally (#6 nationally https://www.estately.com/blog/2014/06/the-most-soccer-enthused-states-in-america/ ) We have the New England Over-The-Hill Soccer League which is the largest soccer league in New England. It has 194 teams in four age brackets with up to 7 divisions in each bracket. At one point, it was the largest league of its kind in the USA. I don't know if that's still true. There are also adult women's leagues as well as other adult men's leagues. We have large Portuguese and Brazilian populations that might support a good team. There is no reason that a good MLS team wouldn't draw more than 15 - 18K if not for the bungling by management. Being quiet and taking whatever they roll out for us to watch year after year is nothing but frustrating. So do I want something to be angry about? Yeah, I'm angry that we have bottom feeding team that the owners refuse to spend any money on while they watch their fan base drift away. Being quiet about it will simply say that that's OK and many of us are not being quiet.

A Casual Fan, revfan11, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.
  25. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Understandable that the frustration comes from other years... But something tells me Friedel is gonna figure this out. Maybe not in game 3 or even 4... I'm going to reserve my full judgement until Caicaido kicks a ball, until we see what happens with De La Torre (month deadline to have him coming in). No disrespect to brandon bye who is ACTUALLY a no bullshit STARTER from what I've seen... But I'll agree if we offload Nguyen and Nemeth for anything less than 7 figures or a player of immediately recognizably same quality... I'm pissed too.

Soccer Doc repped this.