News: Revs Roster 2018 -- II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My, perhaps faulty, recollection is that Michael Jordan, in his early years with the Bulls, was able to get the team to the playoffs and even go a few rounds. But the Bulls couldn’t advance to a championship until they surrounded him with a few more quality players and got a better coach.

I think LN is a above to well above average MLS player. We can’t do the experiment, but I think he’d slot into MANY MLS teams as a regular/starter. Still, he is no MJ and he isn’t cut out to carry a team. Maybe he (finally?) recognized both that he isn’t good enough to carry a team and that this (hardworking, overachieving) team wasn’t likely to ever fill the roster with enough talent for him to flourish.

I do agree with the comment above about how adding 1 player seemed to make a world of difference in 2014. So the comments about totally rebuilding to suit Lee seem stretched.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the contract is no doubt an issue. I can see the Revs either trading him with a draft pick and money to pay his towards his contract or releasing him at some point. I doubt however he is getting much interest overseas which is unfortunate for both him and the Revs

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats what I am reading as well

4. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #454 Cannons, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Couple of replies:

1) Don't have to remake the team around any one player however, you do need enough quality players on the field, that can play at the same level, for that one player to be able to do his thing. The Revs have never had enough talent for that to happen. Watch Lee at LAFC. He doesnt have to be the main man, theyre loaded with talent and all he has to do is control the midfield and make his passes. That he does quite well and its something we dont have on the current Revs

2) Lee wanted out - who wouldnt? I imagine Rowe is next. He's going nowhere under Brad and Id bet he wants out. Lee signed a contract and should have been made to honor it. He should have finished his career here. It doesnt matter what he wants, he was under contract. Of course Friedel rating him third behind Diego and Zach is a total joke and was a disgrace. He's now a starting AM on a team far better than the Revs and seems to be a key part of their plans. He's pushed Benny outside... takes the corners and direct kicks (scored on one last night) and controls the midfield. Maybe there's no connection but he was suspended against the Loons... LA loses 5-1, he goes off mid second half last night with LA ahead 2-0 and in total control...LA ties 2-2. Seems to be a connection with control of the midfield and winning

Bottom line... Lee is a great player and we have NOBODY with his ability on the Revs. He could have helped if they didnt cave in to his demands to be traded. What did we get in his place? Money? Draft picks? useless. Diego is a good player and plays hard but he is no Lee. The two together had been good in the past and could have been this year. We're going nowhere while LA is in second place in the West. Good move for Lee, bad move for the Revs.

5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been going round and round about Lee since January. By the time the trade was made, I was lining up behind the notion that he didn't fit the system.

I think it's fair, in light of our recent run of form, to question the effectiveness of that system, or at least how flexible or adaptable it is to in-game situations. We appear to be in a rather rigid system, and don't offer much in the way of different looks. I agree with those who maintain the team isn't talented enough, but talent isn't the only thing that explains our summer swoon.

Cannons repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. The Revs home-heavy early schedule is a factor, plus team's have begun to figure out Brad's system, and the new players he brought in.

7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    And the Revs haven't even been that great at home this year.

Only 5 home games left. 5!

Rev at LAFC on Sept 15.

And without taking a side on Lee - how pumped must he be. He has proven himself to get playing time with stud players, in a packed stadium, immaculate grass field, with tons of marketing, with everyone wearing the home team shirt in the stadium.

Not trying to make a point, just trying to remember: what did the Revs get for Lee again?

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Allocation money and a draft pick - things that aren't helping yet, but can help down the line.

dncm repped this.
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England Revolution agree to trade with Los Angeles FC

Note the "could"s. Not sure what the conditions are.

If the Revs do get LA's 2019 pick, that will give them 3 first rounders in January (they have Vancouver's also, for Kei Kamara).

dncm repped this.
  10. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real problem is a weak roster overall forcing more or less a single system. I think the discussion is trending in the LN direction simply because he was a very good player (for some) who left recently without much in terms of immediate replacement. Did we bring in some players? Yes. But the net result is too often a way too weak roster overall. I don’t need LN back specifically but 2 or 3 players at 2 or 3 different positions that are equally talented at those positions would be a good start. 5-6 would be even better.

dncm repped this.
  11. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I dont know what LAFC you're watching, they play a 4-1-2-3. Lee plays next to Benny as the 2 CM in their formation.

As far as why they threw the game away at the end, their new 23 yr old import from Benfica played a back pass to no one and kamara ran onto the end of it. Thats pretty boneheaded, and not related to personel. Lee was gassed when he came off and had already started to lose the midfield. Immediately after he was subbed LAFC had 2 golden chances where they hit posts, did taking Lee off generate what probably should have been a 3rd goal? Combo that with bradley bringing de rossi on for the only guy up top really stretching the d and they collapsed.

In summary, Lee looked good all game, but its way too much to say that taking him off led to 2 goals against. And of course he looks better, he gets to play in front of real defenders who have a pulse, and play 1-2 with carlos vela, who makes everyone look better. Comparing the rosters the best 6 guys would all be on LAFC, before getting to any revs players or Lee.

goussoccer and dncm repped this.
  12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The Revs compensation goes up if Nguyen is sold or traded, or if his contract is renegotiated.

dncm repped this.
  13. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Lee Nguyen, whoever made that recent post with the dead horse icon was right on. This is tiresome.

Can we create a separate Lee Nguyen channel? I am tired of reading about him here in the New England Revolution forum. He is not on the Revolution anymore. He will not be coming back. Clearly he is missed by some.

If LAFC is such an amazing team with all this amazing talent that is miles ahead of the the Revs, surely they have their own LAFC forum on Big Soccer full of amazing fans who would be happy to talk about all things LAFC.

Even better, maybe create that Le Nguyen channel on the LAFC forum.

14. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's like having three third nipples.

15. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Tongue in cheek:

First. before the opportunity is missed - let's get the right list of ALL of the players that we should no longer discuss. Let's make sure that is in place - before we miss the opportunity, by banning only Lee from being discussed. There's opportunity to ban far more than just him.

After all, why do we need to discuss moves that have were made in the past? Let's talk only about things that haven't happened yet.

Along those lines - can we talk about rumored signings of players not yet on the Revs -- who, like Lee, aren't on the Revs roster now?

16. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm wondering why they're being so "deceptive" about what position they envision him at when he's listed as a BBM, a 6, and a defender. unless he plays left back, or CB better than Anibaba/Delemea.

............Turner
    Machado - Delemea - Dielna - farrell
    -- Zahibo caicedo
    nemeth fagundez aguedelo
    bunbury

17. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That being said, it's almost like beating a dead horse by saying we need a strong LB/CB/ST until Machado ticks any 3 of those boxes to satisfaction.

And now that I think of it. As much as Knighton is probably a real nice guy. What happens if Matt Turner all of a sudden gets injured long-term or "unexpectedly" transfers to another team?

18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Did you intentionally leave out penilla, the guy who generates the majority of the rev's positive attacking plays?

19. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No, that was a complete error on my part. exchange him and Nemeth.

20. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still have Cody Cropper too. Between Knighton and Cody, we've enough to keep us covered if we lose Turner unexpectedly.

21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I wonder how gettable ronald mataritta is from nycfc. He was their starter at lb in 2016, and he was expected to start for costa rica at the wc until he started picking up injuries. He has been more or less replaced by ben sweat and at 24 makes 400k/yr. Might be too risky based on injury, but if healthy would almost certainly be an upgrade from dielna, and sllow him to go back to his more natural cb spot

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC one condition was based on LAFC's finish vs the revs and another was a certain threshhold of goals/assists for Lee.

23. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Teal has been subbed out in each of the 3 losses (granted LA was in 90th min).

Wonder how this is affecting his confidence.

Also Teal and Anibaba really haven't been "starters" week in/week out in previous seasons(Teal was awhile ago) - wonder if their bodies and mind are feeling the effects of a full season demand.

The week off will give us an idea of how Friedel is doing the business and how the team is responding. Orlando at Orlando has all the makings to be a trap game.

24. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Teal should be worried.... he isn't a starter. I would rather see Juan alternating in there. We have few options though.

Even though Orlando lost against LA, they did score goals against them. That is something we struggle to do and struggle to stop. You can bet they will throw it all at the Revs to get a win. Not sure we can stop them or even score on them enough to win.

I see us losing against a hungry team

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think it's an issue with Bunbury, but it's a real good point about Anibaba. More mental than physical, IMO.
    Really? Have you seen Agudelo's stats?

Clearly Agudelo has better skills, but at least Bunbury is putting some of his chances in the net.