News: Revs Roster 2018 -- II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, the old "we tried it once and it didn't work out, so we're never going to go that route again." defense.

dncm repped this.
  2. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Good reminder, but I always felt this was a mistake/gamble that backfired hugely on Heaps.

Heaps played nice guy and said we will let you stay and play Europa. That was a huge mistake as they had just gone through the very public and nasty Jones situation. They really needed to demand Koussai come immediately, start the preseason and start of season and integrate and set the tone for the team if he was really that good [which I never personally saw].

I am not sayin he couldn't have got injured even if he came to the Revs right away - I am questioning the seriousness of the need of the position that he was supposed to replace and they should have gone after someone that they could bring in to start the season and to have the leadership/upgrade in skills required.

They cheaped out and Heaps probably though they could "hang around" until the summer and that Koussai would come in and have the impact that Jones did....a pattern of the Revs that will never lead to a Championship or winning mentatlity.

Feldspar repped this.
  3. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't know about the financial aspect, or any real aspect of an ITC permit (whatever that is),but you'd think that a professional outlet would apply for one of those for anyyyy player they've scouted for more than 20 minutes

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ITC = International Transfer Certificate. It is provided by the club that previously held the players rights. So, you can't "apply" for one until you secure the player to a contract.

Sachem07 repped this.
  5. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Oh, ok. That make more sense. I thought it was more akin to a Visa.

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. It never comes up for non-revs players. Not sure what the disconnect is or reason.

7. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    1) Shows Kraft knows nothing about soccer. We basically stink. Maybe he doesn't know how to see where we are in the standings?

2) When will they show up? I'll be amazed if anybody valuable appears

8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know what I hate? The fact that Jonathan Kraft never talks about the Revs.

Do you know what I also hate? When Jonathan Kraft goes on the radio and talks about the Revs.

TOAzer and Feldspar repped this.
  9. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not sure why I keep doing it to myself but I keep searching this thread for any news.

TOAzer and goussoccer repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were rumors while down in RBNY that the Revs did have someone doing a physical this weekend.

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slides replacement???

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We just added Cristhian Machado (Bolivian defensive mid that we were linked to in the winter).

https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/po...-acquire-midfielderdefender-cristhian-machado

Story lists that he has a green card so I guess he doesn't use an international roster spot?

I thought in the winter he'd be a solid pickup. However, not exactly our area of need at the moment, unless we're moving Caicedo to fullback or wing.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  13. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, it's a new piece to ponder. Can Caicedo PLAY Fullback?
    Is Rowe about to be traded?

14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel dreams Sunderland dreams..... and, player by player, we are getting exactly that vision realized.
    Inspiring.
    The Stuff of Champions.
    We will be "potentially a playoff team" until the end of time, eh?

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing as how Friedel values Rowe about as much as he did Nguyen......

16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #391 Cannons, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Well its something but we have a lot of Mids/DM though and Im not sure how it all works out ?? Also we are hurting on center D and need an option for Teal. We are having trouble scoring goals and I dont see how this helps that right now.
    Finally 5'7", 150 lbs is Diego size and small for MLS. Diego gets knocked around quite a bit and is listed at 5'8" 150 lbs. How could this guy play DM at 5'7" ??? I just dont see it

17. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's a needle being moved here, it must be hiding in a haystack.

TOAzer repped this.
  18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    The revs need quality players all over the pitch, so if Machado is one then I'm all for the move. However, if there was one spot on the roster that didn't feel like it needed addressing it was at the 6. Caicedo is the brightest player on the team, Zahibo is a competent backup, and Rowe and Caldwell at least offer depth. Maybe the plan is to have Caicedo play a more offensive minded role? Maybe Brad thinks Zahibo is a potential solution at CB? Maybe there is a formation change in the works?

A bit about Machado, it looks like he played stateside once before during a 2012 loan with the now defunct ft Lauderdale strikers of the equally defunct NASL. Transfermarkt doesn't always do a great job on reporting on smaller leagues, especially in SA, but it doesn't look like he has played a ton in his career and at 28 that raises a bit of a red flag. He does have 3 appearances for the Bolivian NT, along with a handful of bench appearances during the 16-17 Copa America/WC qualification cycle, so perhaps he was a regular performer in Bolivia, however he also has an equal number of instances where he failed to make the bench. This is the outline of a fringe player from a weaker soccer playing nation, which makes him a solid target for an MLS team, especially considering he should be in the prime of his career. It also probably isn't as exciting as many of the other south/central Americans who recently have begun to define the playing level for competitive MLS teams.

19. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    U
    Hopefully the same way Caicedo does at 5'8 154

rkupp and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #395 RevsLiverpool, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Exactly - size doesn't tell the whole story. Caicedo's heart is the size of Zlatan which shows on the field.

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Armas was a pretty good MLS dmid and was about the same size

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be a decent player but does he meet the needs of the team? I am not sure this is what the doctor ordered.....and I don't mean SoccerDoc

Cannons repped this.
  23. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Chris*, lol.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Armas - yeah he was. If Caldwell bulked up some more he could be a really good 6 in MLS.

25. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    He plays outside doesnt he? I think you can get away with being a little small on the outside a little easier. Reading TSB11's research, this guy is looking more like a typical bargain basement signing than a savior but well see when he gets on the field. Using the Lee N model, that should be in September sometime