News: Revs Roster 2018 -- II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a report that Nemeth was called up to Hungary for June friendlies (Jun 6 vs Belarus, Jun 10 vs Austria), but now it says he isn't going.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Revs depth on the backline is going to be tested even more.

Awful news for Chris.

asctester repped this.
  3. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turf Im betting

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to the summer window and some potentially significant additions. After a number of years of either poor or non-existent additions to the roster (thank yiu Mile) I think having a scout and an aggressive coach spells a significant change/ We are in rebuilding mode. The window is soon to open. Color me excited

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Tierney out for the year I would think a versatile defender is now high on their wish list. Not sure how much faith they have in Samayoa. Maybe Rowe is now the backup to Somi?

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Dielna is, at least judging on the RBNY game

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly but I can't see them not going after a defender.....I mean I can, after all it is the Revs but this to me is a priority now

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I would have thought they were already looking for a left back before Tierney went down.

Jon Martin repped this.
  9. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BF says he wants competition for every spot. With the summer window opening soon and the Open Cup an option to see other players, it may be worth seeing how close the Revs are to achieving that goal. I am assuming that the preferred formation is a 433:

Keeper: Hold
    Turner -- Matt has been a revelation and a deserved #1 based on performance to date.
    Cropper/Knighton -- Both are sound and experienced keepers though I'm happier seeing them on the bench than between the pipes.
    Central D: Hold unless a gem is available at a good price
    Anibaba -- very solid. Decent foot skills. Good positioning. Strong in the air
    Dielna -- Experienced. Doesn't get flustered (other than early red). Play at left back was impressive against RB
    Delamea -- inconsistent. His lack of pace means that he needs to think ahead of the attack. Doesn't always happen. ​
    Left back: High priority buy. Not a good sign that a repurposed central defender is the best option
    Somi -- Playing wing in a 352 is harder than LB in a 433, but he was awful against Atlanta. His attacking and pace aren't good enough.
    Dielna -- Need Somi kicked to the bench by someone other than our third CB.​
    Right back: High priority buy
    Farrell -- Unfortunately, Andrew has plateaued at too low a level. While I hoped he would be the next Tony Sanneh, he has become another Marvell Wynne. The improving squad has exposed his positional weakness and his attacking limitations.
    Bye -- Very raw. And not a defender. He needs to be learning by playing in the USL but isn't because we're light at the position.
    Midfield (6-8): Hold (but sign Caicedo!)
    Caicedo -- Excellent and improving as he adapts to MLS. Plays bigger than he is. Covers the back line very well.
    Zahibo -- Strong alternative to Caicedo at the six. They sometimes crowd each other when both are on the field. Good eye for deep switch.
    Caldwell -- Solid dependable 6/8. Less creative going forward than the others but he will not make dumb mistakes.
    Rowe -- Excellent 2 way match against RB. Hopefully, a harbinger. Better attacker than Caldwell. I hope he takes over the 8 role.​
    Midfield (10): Hold or get a high value DP
    Fagundez -- Serviceable. Has shown better pressing than expected. Does well directing up tempo attack, but not a top tier #10. Vision and passing accuracy could be much better.
    Rowe? -- Has done well in the middle in the past but won't displace Diego
    Left wing: Hold
    Penilla -- Excellent signing. Fits the high press and quick attack well. We should pick up his option unless European clubs start sniffing around this winter.
    Rowe/Somi? -- I don't know the lower end of the squad well enough to know whether there is a better option.​
    Right wing: Hold
    Agudelo -- Some might reverse these two, but I think Juan's pace and better defensive skills give him a bit of an edge over Nemeth.
    Nemeth -- Good vision. Sees attacking options quickly. Not sure he's quick enough to keep up with the press and cover responsibilities.​
    Central attack: Buy a DP quality player
    Bunbury -- Teal has been rejuvenated. Plays the press well, gets into good positions. Partners effectively with Penilla. I still want a BWP.
    Nemeth -- Gets into good spaces. Moves ball well. Not great presser. Not going to displace Teal until he goes cold.
    Agudelo -- He can play here, but is more useful on the wing.
    Net net -- We need outside defenders to be a solid playoff team. We need at least one DP attacker (9 or 10) to join the top tier.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Nice analysis.

IF we were to get a good #10, Fagundez would still need to be on the field IMO. Would create some interesting musical chairs - probably having both Nemeth and Agudelo pushed to the bench. And, if we were to get another attacker, that would likely push Bunbury to the bench (I know many/most are probably good with this, but give Bunbury credit, he has adapted and filled the role Friedel defined exceptionally well). He may not be creating his own goals, but he is scoring goals and that should never be under-estimated.

I look at Bunbury/Penilla as a combination - they are creating goals together; not exactly Ralston/Twellman, but ...

dcochran and Soccer Doc repped this.
  11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Great post. WRT Bob K's point, a feature of top tier teams is that they have scary players coming off the bench, and can seamlessly change the look and the style mid-game. We don't need depth, we need strong depth.

dcochran and Soccer Doc repped this.
  12. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QFT.

13. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I view things differently. It's easier to get a good American central defender than a good American left back (we're out of international spots). Dielna is a very good left back even though we've usually used him as a central defender. It makes more sense to me to shift him permanently to left-back, and go after a good centerback via a trade or loan, or an American returning from abroad (maybe Orozco Fiscal).

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe they have 6 international slots filled and one available. Should Nemeth move this summer that would open up a second. Dielna I believe was a LB most of his career. I agree that the play here is to move Delemea to the bench and bring in a solid CB

NFLPatriot and a517dogg repped this.
  15. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    This is the deepest position on the roster without a doubt. The problem is that 3 of the 4 guys shouldnt be on the field at the same time, because they all do the same thing. Rowe is the only one who really contributes meaningful value in the attack, and having him on the field with Caicedo really shows how poor Zahibo/Caldwell are in that spot by comparison. I think Zahibo is a solid player with upside because of his size, but if caicedo ends up staying he may find his path to playing time blocked going forward.

I also think that with Rowe in the midfield we'll see better link up play in transition, and our attack will look a bit less toothless. I know NYRB were short 3 starters because of friendlies, but the Revs looked threatening a lot more frequently than any other game I've watched this season. The next few games leading up to the window will tell whether Rowe playing more is enough to get the attack going.

I also agree with other posters that Delamea and Farrell are the most important spots to upgrade, with Fagundez a close 3rd. Fagundez is good enough that his talent shines through at times and prove he warrants the trust BF puts in him, but his ball skills and touch seem to leave him for stretches which is why he makes us shake our heads.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great analysis! Very thorough and we'll said. Just devil's advocate here but isn't Team our number 9 type finisher? Sure he's not a glamorous South American but in Friedel's system he's a great fit up top IMO. And 9 goals so far is nothing to sniff at. He's in elite company in MLs, even Iif he doesn't get that type of respect or coverage.

Agree with the rest of your assessment except Nemeth and Rowe. If I'm in Burnsie's chair I sell Nemeth to the the first sucker I can find who will take that bad contract. He's certainly not a million dollar player. As for Rowe, jury's still out. He did ok in stretches against RB but still can't pass very well. It's frustrating to watch. I would move him for a high end left back.

Great stuff! Thanks again.

dcochran and rkupp repped this.
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    After last season I think most of us felt that Delamea had a terrific season ( a bit of a letdown at the end, though) and was easily our best defender.

He's struggled at times this year, for sure. I think he's had some injuries (and an illness, which seems to be cleared up now) and had some adjustment issues to a new system.

But, ... I think to a certain extent we need to roll with player's ups and downs. He was very good last year - he didn't suddenly become a bad player. Most coaches do (thankfully, and sometimes maddeningly) stick with veteran players who have been struggling. Usually it pays off.

I think Delemea will come around and look more like the player he was last year - and that our more immediate concerns are the fullbacks (though I did like Dielna's last game).

18. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teal has been a solid #9 this year without doubt and the current front four (Diego, Penilla, Teal, Agudelo/Nemeth) should be good enough to get us into the playoffs. However, to be in the top tier in the league and compete for the cup I think we need a player at the 9 or 10 who forces opponents to play outside their usual patterns. Look at how Almiron creates havoc with his pace and vision or how BWP punishes any lapse by defenders and can score with no apparent space. One player like either of them could make us a top four team.

You make a good point about Nemeth's contract. I hadn't considered salaries when I looked at the team since we are usually well under the cap, but paying top dollar for a mid-tier player isn't good business and probably isn't good for the locker room. I'm more optimistic about Rowe than you are. I see the team play more aggressively going forward when he replaces Caldwell. While his passes don't all connect, their intent can put a defense back on its heels.

I certainly didn't get any warm and fuzzy feelings about the players further down the roster after watching the second half of yesterday's USOC match. I hope BF pushes for a more effective process of bringing players along beyond the first eighteen.

dctrbnsttr and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  19. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Posted in Lousville Open Cup thread, but since I had additional comment, I am quoting the original post here -

Yes, I know that the DP label in of itself is not the defining characteristic of a difference-making player. However, for most teams, the "DP" label is a reasonable proxy for higher-salaried players; and, a higher salary, at least for most teams, is a reasonable proxy for high-skilled, more capable players.

It is telling (to me, at least) that once again the Revs find themselves with only a single DP. And that DP is not a regular in the starting 11. And when he is, he has not put a claim on a regular position.

Yes, I agree that in of itself, this doesn't tell the story of this team. But it is one way of understanding a piece of what goes into the overall story.

[And, just pointing out once again that there are multiple unfilled roster spots. Think of those as top-of-roster players who are missing, and you'll begin to understand why open roster spots SHOULD be a big deal.]

Always a fun page to reference -
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2018/new-england-revolution

20. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to be “negative” (I’d call is cautious or realistic) but...

1. I think this forum generally overrates the players we have particularly when things are going somewhat well (we are mid table after all and lost [badly] to a lower division team). I think Bunbury, Nemeth, and Agudelo should be providing what someone called strong depth to other, better starters, for example.
    2. I’m still interested to see Burns make more than one serious signing in the summer window. The above list arguably wants 3? I think they need 4-5.

Of course I don't know if the context of the argument is to simply make the playoffs or go deep, heck, even finally win the Cup? As built right now, I can still see this team missing the playoffs. They probably will make the playoffs but I don't expect them to go far without improvements.

pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now they are out of the Cup they had better make the playoffs, or this season will have been a sham. But they won't make the playoffs.

22. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Why so certain? I think they'll make the playoffs, I just don't think they'll advance that far.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now they can "concentrate on the league."

firstshirt repped this.
  24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its August?

25. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 20/20 hindsight from the USOC debacle is that our second eleven is not in any way ready to play together. This tends to get masked when we see these guys as 1 or 2 subs per match. Herivaux looks ok playing with 8-9 first teamers, much less so on Tuesday.

We need a full roster as soon as possible. We have zero competition to be second eleven, once the season starts. I'm not talking about the palookas that Nicol used to sign in the summer, but guys to compete for the 18 and push Wright, Femi, Bye, and Herivaux.

I'd prioritize:

1. Skilled and athletic left back 24-26 years old. Tierney's injury and Somi's failure makes this first priority.
    2. Top class attacker to displace one of Juan, Diego, Teal, Nemeth, Penilla.
    3. Second "change of pace" attacker, suited to situations when we need a goal after 70'.
    4. Starting quality CB.
    5. Understudy for LB 20-24 years old.
    6. Farrell understudy.

#6 can wait to see if Bye can be that guy (plus we almost can't make 6 quality signings)

patfan1 repped this.