Revs Off Season talk - the quest to rebuild begins!

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Oct 29, 2018.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now that this huge disappointment of a season is behind us here are a few key dates to look at.
    Dec 8 2018: MLS CUP - FYI, the Revs will not be making an appearance.....again
    Dec 9 2018: MLS 4 hour trade window
    Dec 11 2018: MLS expansion draft.
    Dec 11 2018: Free Agency begins. Eligible players who are 28 years of age and older with eight MLS service years and who are out of contract – or have had their option declined.
    Dec 12 2018: Waiver draft
    Dec 14 2018: Stage 1 Re-Entry Draft
    Dec 20 2018: Stage 2 Re-Entry Draft
    Dec 25 2018: Put a real DP on your xmas list, Santa may be good to us
    Jan 3-9 2019: MLS Combine
    Jan 11 2019: MLS Super Draft. At a glance the Revs pick 9&11 in the first round

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution Soccer. Get your kicks.

And there was a person here last year saying how Burns is doing a great job.

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when is his contract up? wonder if the Revs are fielding interest

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article in the other thread said this:

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like Diego has been around forever, but I didn't realize until after he scored that he was the youngest player to reach 50 MLS goals.

Why is it that we say this about pretty much every player here who has been good, but has the potential to be great, that we'd love to have him stay, but we know he will never reach his full potential playing here.

TOAzer and tsb11 repped this.
  6. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Remind me who that was?

7. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mrs. Burns.

firstshirt, TOAzer and A Casual Fan repped this.
  8. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man! I can't sleep due to excitement about the new training facility.

TOAzer repped this.
  9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they train on how to win games....:rolleyes:

10. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m hoping they have an electroshock therapy room for training the mental mistakes out of our defenders.

11. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m hoping they get new defenders that don’t make mental mistakes. That along with a bunch of midfielders and forwards

12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Somewhere in the ballpark of 7 players who are better than the ones already on the team should do the trick

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are not always on the lookout for players who are better than the ones you've got, then you are not doing your job. I get the sense* that the Revs FO figures they have a "pretty good" core of players and they don't want to "disrupt the chemistry" so, why keep turning over the roster? Of course, the better teams (like anyone who played yesterday) would laugh at the mere suggestion. Do you think the Patriots think this way?

* I get the sense, in the same way as in the Sopranos, when Tony and Carmella are with the therapist, Dr. Melfi, for marriage counseling. They are arguing and sniping back and forth, and Dr. Melfi says, "I may be wrong, but I get the sense that both of you might possibly have some anger issues."
    And then Tony says, "Yeah? How'd you figure that out? You musta finished in the top a your fu**in' class!"

Yeah, that pretty much describes how I get the sense.

TOAzer and firstshirt repped this.
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and defend the far post

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England declining contract options on Claude Dielna, Guillermo Hauche, Femi Hollinger-Janzen, Cristhian Machado, Nico Samayoa and Mark Segbers.

17. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the team's style this past year, anyone else feel like we're going to be reloading with some Ivan McKinley/Joe Franchino/Rusty Pierce types this off-season?

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need to be more thuggish ... please.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  19. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I was posting it as a condemnation, as well as an expectation (there's no good emoji for that, but probably should have included :()

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was a waste.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No.

I actually think the best indicator of what we'll bring in is what we brought in last year, more or less. A lot of people look at the historical record of Burns' acquistions, but I think things were much different once Friedel was hired. The main difference is that he brought in quite a few new players and that is something Burns was never able to do.

I think Friedel will look for more Caicedos and Penillas (and Zahibos and Dielnas ... and even some Somis). Like last year, some will work out and some won't.

I also think they'll be bringing in at least one premier-level player. Friedel's been talking about that since he was hired. It may not happen, but I think there's a good chance it will.

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define "good chance".

In all his years here, when has Burns ever been able to land a premier-level player?

And don't say Jones, because Burns had nothing to do with that. Chicago did all the work, Kraft stepped in, and the Revs won a coin toss.

rkane1226, pwykes and Doublecard repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what Mr Kupp is saying--in the Burns era we have never signed more than 2 new players, and you can certainly debate if they were "significant." The 2017-18 off-season brought in quite a few more, but at the end of the day, only 2 of them are real keepers. Bringing in a bunch of mediocre guys won't cut it.

Now it isn't realistic to think that every signing is going to be another Penilla, but I did have higher hopes for a lot of the guys they brought in. If it takes 6 signings to get 2 good players, we need to sign at least a dozen, but that isn't going to happen. I'm not yet ready to cast Friedel off as a fraud, but unless he brings in at least 2 more Penilla-level players, my patience will disappear faster than a plate of hot dogs in front of Tony Meola.

24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First. Everyone who has read one or more comments/tweets/articles mentioning other teams or agents commenting that Burns is a pain to deal with raise your hand. Now everyone who has read the same for Nicol or Heaps? Hmmmm. Interesting count... Friedel may have an important, even stronger than previous coaches, role in signings but Burns has to seal the deal.

Second, go here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/new...26/plus/0?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Play around with the seasons, look at the serious signings vs. drafts and loans out to USL sides. Then ask yourself. Did BF _really_ do that much food last “off season”? I’m not impressed.

First, he left a lot of salary rotting, some of it his picks. 2nd, he (apparently not Mike Burns :rolleyes:) took for freaking ever to sign a bunch of them. So, calling his signings “offseason” is generous at best. In the end he cut or left to rot just about all of them but 2. I’m not generally against the idea of trying guys out, lacking other details only the REVs can generate, I’d say it sure beats empty roster spots. But, I don’t think his approach was effective. The team didn’t get better, particularly with the later signings.

a517dogg repped this.
  25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    My guess is better than 50/50, but that's worth the paper it's printed on.

And, you didn't ask me to define premier player :p. I'd just say that, at this point, he should be the best player on the squad, at a minimum. Not really talking about Neymar or the like.
    My point was that it doesn't make sense to compare this offseason to Burns' history. Last year was Friedel's first and the number of acquisitions, at least, was better than anything Burns ever did IIRC. So, this offseason is more likely to resemble last year than any of the previous years IMO.
    We don't actually know what the extent of Burns involvement would be or needs to be.

If Friedel and some other team/agent/player have a high degree of mutual interest, but they don't want to deal with Burns, I think it's pretty likely they could find a way to get it done.