Revs MLS Cup Marketing Plan...

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Rev-eler, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    Well thousands of eyes are better than 2. Personally, I'm curious as to how this "Marketing Blitz" is going to take shape. I was told by someone in the revs office that the "new marketing director" (is that imbriano?) had a plan in place by thursday and were going to start the full-on campaign last friday. I really haven't noticed it yet.

Perhaps people can write things down here. Promotion of the game things...that pop up and hit them in the face to see what kind of full scale marketing campaign this really is. like....billboards not seen before, radio & tv spots, ads in various newspapers, rev employees handing out flyers in city hall plaza....whatever.

here's the first obvious one:
    1/4 page ad in Boston Globe.

I can only personally confirm its presence there back to Wed 10/9/02....but i'd imagine its been there for a full week (or longer).

others.....?

2. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    One good solution is -- free Revolution car sticker for all fans attending the games.

That's cheap, and practical. And it would achieve better effects spreading around the word to the mass. No everyone reads Boston Globe believe me, but everyone drives.

3. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    sorry, maybe i didn't make it clear. i suppose posting "ideas" here is fine. but, i guess i was looking to read and get feedback on the concrete effects of this "marketing campaign" as people come across them in their daily routine. the globe ad is something that i have personally seen.

another:
    t.v. spots on fsne
    ...during revs games only from what i have witnessed.

4. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about everyone who buys a tickets gets a free pass to Spooky World or maybe a ticket to Six Flags New England for next summer. This might work to get more people.

5. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw an ad on ABC during a college football game. It was probably MLS marketing and not the Revs, but it is progress nontheless.

I made flyers and have been posting them around my college campus. If any other Boston area students want to do the same, you can PM me and I'll email you the flyer. I'm not a Revs employee, but I thought I'd try to help out the Revs marketing department on my own. They should be the ones doing stuff like this, but I'm happy to help any way I can.

6. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i have a hunch that mls is running the ad in the globe....and, certainly produced that polished tv spot on fsne too (probably its the same one on abc as well). maybe i'm wrong.

another rev initiated marketing ploy:
    passing out mini-flyers after revs' p.o. game

for me and my little knowledge, that's the only thing i can attribute, 100%, to the revs so far. please, do keep posting anything you see from this marketing blitz. if we don't see them....i wonder who does. or maybe that's the point.

(oh, i'm sure they've nabbed the revs phone list and started making some calls too.....however, probably to all those youth soccer teams that can't make it)

7. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekend is also the Head of the Charles Regatta which attracts a lot of college students and visitors from all over the Northeast. Hanging posters or handing out fliers around the Charles might get some people to bag the Sunday races and decide to watch the MLS Cup.

Go Revs!!!

8. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs were introduced to the crowd at the Pats game today and were on the field for the coin toss. Robert Kraft made a personal appeal to the fans to come out and support the Revs. He said if enough tickets were sold by Weds, the entire upper bowls would be open. The team got a standing O.

Rumor is 27K are sold as of today.

9. xmerl

xmerl Member

Sep 29, 2002
    MLS Cup ad in my town's weekly newspaper this past Friday.

10. scrub

scrub Member

Oct 12, 2000
    There was a pretty large ad in the Herald paper version sports section located past the main news area, maybe a page or two past the soccer news. It was about 4 inches wide and 10 inches tall.

This was before we were in though, so maybe it was the beginning of the media "blitz".

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a commercial on WEEI the other day.

12. redondo10

redondo10 New Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Hey if they hadn't fired all those people a couple of weeks ago they would have more hands on deck to go out, promote, and sell tickets.

Kudos to the Krafts!!!!

13. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    well, i have the funny feeling that the full on "marketing blitz" was reserved for a non-revs final. this place is selling itself apparently. ad is gone from the globe sports pages from what i can see today.

i was really looking forward to seeing how the pats people took care of their first big revs task.....and in the end they've done/had to do really nothing.

14. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    You have a some issues with the Krafts! Get over it! I also think you are a liar about your little connection in the ticket office. You stated that there were plenty of tickets in the lower bowl and they are 30+ as of this morning. Based on what you are saying and what the truth is about ticket sales you are starting to look a little warped.

15. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    MLS Cup on MNF

Live near Hartford, have seen a couple of large ads for the game in the paper as well as a promo during halftime of last night's Monday Night Football. Also heard Madden/Michael's mentioning that Kraft was a part of the MLS Cup.

While not all the work of the Revs front office, and while we all may have had concerns over Kraft's placement and positioning of the Revs, the MNF blurbs and extra comments are certainly helped by Kraft's involvement.

We will get a lot of extra 'bounce' from this if we win the MLS Cup because Kraft is involved. That is fine with me...the San Jose folks may puke over it, but if it gives good press to soccer in the US, then I'm all for it.

16. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard an ad on WEEI.

WAAF's L.B. (Lyndon Byers - former Boston Bruin) mentioned the match in the sports update this morning.