Revs 2017 Roster

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Yeah and then there was that guy named Dempsey that punched someone -- glad we got rid of him too.

I don't care what your criteria are - just put a winning team on the darn field. If you can't do that then get out of the way, you are in the wrong job. Sorry ,but that sounds like they are making excuses before the season even starts.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Undermining the coach? Yeah, in general, that's never a good thing. But reading the tea leaves between the lines, do you think that maybe, just maybe, inthe past an experienced player who has been around a few places, has played at a higher level than this and knows a thing or two about tactics might have disagreed with some of Heaps' decisions?

I can't say for sure, but I can imagine a guy like Jones, who grew up in the Bundesliga and is/was a Nats regular might have had some insights that Heaps simply doesn't? And Heaps' (reputed) stubbornness might mean he'd be less likely to listen to advice, even if it might make sense? I got the sense that Heaps obviously appreciated what Jones brought on the field, but at the same time felt threatened by him. I'm not sure how much JJ respected Heaps, especaially if he suggested something he considered "obvious," Heaps ignored him, and they lost the game.

This is purely speculation, so please no one axe me how I know beyond all doubt that this stuff is 100% true!

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, barring a last minute miracle, the Revs will open the season with 23 players. That's 23% of the roster vacant.

Based on this year's rules:
    2017 MLS Roster Rules and Regulations
    February 1, 2017, 11:00AM EST

here is my breakdown of the Revs roster:

SENIOR ROSTER (15/20)
    1. Juan Agudelo
    2. Benjamin Angoua (I)
    3. Teal Bunbury
    4. Scott Caldwell (HG)
    5. Antonio Mliner Delamea (I)
    6. Diego Fagundez (HG)
    7. Andrew Farrell
    8. Kei Kamara (GC-DP)
    9. Brad Knighton
    10. Daigo Kobayashi (GC)
    11. Xavier Kouassi (I-DP)
    12. Lee Nguyen
    13. Kelyn Rowe
    14. Chris Tierney
    15. Je-Vaughn Watson (GC?)

PROTECTED (OFF BUDGET) ROSTER (8/10)
    SUPPLEMENTAL (4/4)
    21. Cody Cropper
    22. Donnie Smith
    23. Brian Wright
    24. London Woodberry
    RESERVE (3/4)
    25. Femi Hollinger-Janzen
    26. Joshua Smith
    27. Matt Turner
    HOME GROWN RESERVE (1/2)
    29. Zachary Herivaux (HG)

Notes:
    1. Off-budget roster was determined based on last year's salary (and assumptions on the rookies).
    2. Scott Caldwell was exempt from the expansion draft based on his Home Grown status, but I still put him on the Senior Roster (based on salary and space)
    3. League rule requires a minimum of 18 on the Senior Roster. So, 3 members of the off-budget roster could be "promoted" by default.
    4. Watson was an international last year, but isn't listed as one this year. Assuming he got his Green Card, but haven't seen any reports confirming this.

VTSoccerFan, A Casual Fan and a517dogg repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 open spaces? So Mike Burns' work is done for the year, at least until the summer transfer windows open, right?

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also means we won't be seeing any Revs heading to Rochester this year.

6. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care what sport you're talking about – that figure is appalling.

Crooked repped this.
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #382 RevsLiverpool, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    That would be the equivalent to Belichick deciding he only needed 12.19 players on his 53 man roster. So, 11 starters that played both offense and defense plus 1 sub and 1 part time guy. Plenty of depth! :mad::eek:

I really wish MLS mandated a full roster for all its teams to bring it in line with every other North American top division pro league. Not an optional thing to save on costs, allowing low budget teams like the revs to leave 3 or 4 roster spots open "for later". No games or fudging around. Just require all teams to carry 28 guys (or whatever the number is). In fact, there should be fines for anyone that does not comply, costing $x/open roster spot.

8. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I think you did your math wrong -- that is as if Belichick only had 41 players on the team. Still no way he would do that. The CBA should address teams filling their roster slots. This is an embarrassment either way.

That said, while I was not surprised to see Grant Wahl place NE Revs as the least ambitious club of the MLS, I was disappointed that his reasoning only focused on getting a soccer-specific stadium.
    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/03/03/2017-mls-ambition-rankings

ToMhIlL and BERich repped this.
  9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol yeah. You're right I did it at 23% full not 23% empty. My bad.

Agree with your post 100%.

10. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think his reasoning was based on that, it's just the thing he happened to mention. Wahl shares the data he got from all the clubs in response to his questionnaire, and the Revs' lack of ambition is pretty patent there.

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but he does mention every team's stadium situation at the top of his comments, so you can;t help but think he rates that factor higher than, say, youth development or DP spending, etc.

12. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, a stadium kind of is the biggest sign of ambition. DP spending can be turned around – as in completely reversing philosophy – in a year or less. Youth teams can be turned around in a little longer than that. But a stadium is the biggest commitment - you can't reverse it on a whim. So the lack of stadium is kind of the biggest indicator.

That said, were I Grant, I would have mentioned that the DP and youth team situations, et al, point in the same direction as the stadium: middling ambition at best.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is it? It's required now. By default every new team coming into the league needs to have one (except Seattle, Atlanta and NYC FC apparently). Would think something like DP spending, whether they have a II / USL relationship that works and perhaps sponsorship / media presence would be better metrics to go by. Of course, the revs fail in each of those categories too so they are well deserved to be in last place.

14. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true that every team needs to have one now, and the fact that the Revs don't pretty much overshadows all other indicators of ambition, in that case. So even if they didn't fail all the others (which they do), the Revs are clearly the least ambitious team in the league. Go Revs!

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda going with this ...

Guarantee that the roster for the Pats will fill out, because I can guarantee that the Revs won't.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS finally showing a roster with details, including Senior roster players listed. We also have a whopping three internationals.

Andy_B and NFLPatriot repped this.
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #392 patfan1, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Attached is a chart that shows where every team's roster is. Shockingly we're tied for last. Of course, the team we're tied with has a second team.

MM66 repped this.
  18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we're tied with Minnesota. Do they have a second team?

But you don't get to be MLS Budget Champs without a little bit of sacrifice!

19. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the league pays for roster spots 1-20(non DP) and carries all of the alloc money.

Who is responsible for paying spots 21-30? Is it still league or does the local owner have to pay those spots?

20. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one more question, how many years can a player carry the HG category?

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. Scott Caldwell is in his 5th season, and he still carries it. He makes more than some of the players on the senior roster. Fagundez is in his 7th, and he hasn't carried it for a few years (was not HG protected in the NYC/ORL expansion draft).

In other words, I have no clue what the answer is.

22. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fagundez was the reason I asked as I had assumed he was no longer considered home grown and yet he is tagged as such on these rosters.

I guess the more MLS tries to be transparent, the more questions we have :)

23. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it's either a mistake or some sort of accounting legerdemain, but how is Scott Caldwell on the Reserve roster?

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member