Revolution Stadium Groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part XVI

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MM66, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Holding onto a thread of stadium talk linked in this recent article. Father Kraft actually spoke about the Revs at this Goldman Sachs talk he went to..

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/11/21/robert-kraft-goldman-sachs

I initially thought the Goldman Sachs financing help may have been something new, but upon clicking thru realized it was from 3 years ago.

Khkevin repped this.
  2. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am assuming it is going to be mostly private funding?

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 sport in America? I love the optimism, but assuming he means the NFL will remain at #1, that means soccer will leapfrog the NHL, NBA, and Major League Baseball!

Seriously, the NHL is more regional, but in Canada it is far and away #1,and still very, very popular in many of the older, core cities. Maybe not so much in some places, but overall, it's pretty solid. The NBA is also hugely popular globally, not quite at the level of soccer, but it is a very big deal. Baseball has been around forever, and while it may be perceived as too slow, or demographically appealing to old guys, there are certain markets where the baseball team is far and away the most popular (Red Sox, Cardinals, Cubs, Yankees/Mets, etc.) Not everywhere, but it is still really popular.

Maybe this could happen in 50 years, but not in Daddy Kraft's lifetime. Or any of ours, I suspect.

4. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, remember what thread you are in. 12-24 months is really 10-20++++ years. So, in that context he was probably as accurate as he has been on the stadium timeline.

jrandinho, Khkevin, NFLPatriot and 2 others repped this.
  5. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jrandinho and ToMhIlL repped this.
  8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top quality, if the city can remove businesses and homes next to the area for a low cost. Everything about it is perfect, but lacks space for future expansion. We don't want to build a stadium in a road/building landlocked area and then worry about another building stadium in the future.

10. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Future expansion of a non-existent stadium is the last thing anyone has to worry about. The problem with lack of space for anything but the stadium is that it doesn't allow for the sort of commercial or residential development that might make the project attractive to other stakeholders.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See you in 60-90 days, comrades.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read they were open to mixed use development? Or is it just low income housing?

13. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    The damper has already begun to be put on the latest Frontage Road speculation for a Revs' soccer-specific stadium. Two days after The Boston Globe ran Chesto's piece, The Boston Herald's Jonathan Ng and Brooks Sutherland collaborated on a story in which city councilors Michael Flaherty and Matt O'Malley - as well as City Life/Vida Urbana head Lisa Owens - all balked at the idea. Flaherty flat-out said:

"I cannot support this if we're talking about a soccer stadium. It's not sustainable. Everyone is cutting through the neighborhood to go in town, around town, or downtown. It would choke this neighborhood."

https://www.bostonherald.com/2018/11/30/soccer-stadium-site-pitch-irks-south-boston-residents/

The Revolution playing at Frontage Road? I'll believe it when I see it.

14. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard that. Also, I'm not sure the Frontage Road site has the space.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't it extend south to Widett Circle?

16. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure. But I wouldn't assume that parcel is available. How much land is needed for a stadium and parking to begin with?

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 16 acres at least

18. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Frontage Road lot is 18 acres.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah then they really don't have room for much else unless they share the parking lot somehow.

20. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or bury it, stack it or convince the city they can do with less. (I have no idea if there are any legal requirements when it comes to parking in Boston.)

21. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  22. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    The key takeaway being "might".

And are we to assume that "the first half of next year" will soon be replacing Major League Soccer's standard "60 to 90 days" meme? Well, I suppose it is less cumbersome than "120 to 180 days".

Compared to the Revolution's soccer-specific stadium saga, Les Miserables was a short story.

23. ne_soccer_fan

ne_soccer_fan New Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Dec 10, 2018
    That's an interesting tidbit from the Grant Wahl piece.

I recently saw this article https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ts-big-fish/Brbo7pyEajN3I7GrJGN3VM/story.html about the mayor of Revere still looking for what to do with the available land they've got (mainly, Wonderland Dog Track and Suffolk Downs). I didn't realize they were a potential location for Amazon's HQ2.

Now that the Amazon search is over, and given the resistance to the Frontage Road / Widett Circle location (which admittedly seems very justified), seems like it would make sense for the Krafts and Revere to pick up those talks again. I think it's a sensible location for a new stadium for all parties involved, including the fans.

Khkevin repped this.
  24. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    #124 Steve_R, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Suffolk Downs has been spoken for. HYM Investments is planning to build housing, malls and offices.

https://www.universalhub.com/2018/basically-surrounded-water-suffolk-downs

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    War and Peace is a short story compared to the Revs' Quixotic search for a stadium site. I think it was 2004 when this idea first came out. Since then, how many teams have joined the league either by promotion or expansion, planned and built and are playing in their new place before the Revs have even decided on a site?

jrandinho and KaptPowers repped this.