Revolution Stadium Groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part XVI

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MM66, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the New England Revolution were to move to Boston and rebrand its logo/name, Would Boston Revolt be a good name? Revs is still part of Revolt. Volt can mean spark of new electricity to a stagnate club. Re- means again. Revolts are also part of the Revolutionary War.

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs are the New England MLS team. No reason to change the name

Hill Giant and NFLPatriot repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston is part of New England, but New England is not part of Boston.

Rebranding won't do a thing unless there is a 180-degree change in philosophy by those who are actually running things.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to a focus group about the rebranding on the Revolution and the moderator tried to get us to think of some ideas. It was a random thought after leaving the event.

5. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds Revolting.

Hill Giant, Crooked, TOAzer and 4 others repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, how did you get selected for a Revs focus group? I'm in marketing, so I'm interested in this in general, but somehow I don't think they want to hear opinions from people like me. Besides, they never listen to people anyway! When my daughter was 3, she was in a focus group for Hasbro's My Little Pony. She thought the new designs looked creepy and scary. But they went with them anyway!

7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They asked me to be part of it too. Even offered me $100. I couldn't make it. Maybe they asked me because I'm a 10 year + Season ticket holder.

8. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHA!!!! Good one!!

For me, it was an email message and a feedback survey. Other people got contacted differently. They also phone call you for a response and confirmation.

9. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I suspect that KSG would get a bump from rebranding even with no other changes. A new name and/or logo change, and the associated marketing campaign, will trigger some marginal novelty factor that will put more $ in KSG's pockets, on the backs of "fooled" customers. It may not be large, but I think it would attract (a few) more fans to pay attention even if only for a season or less.

But one has to hope that KSG is savvy enough to know that you can't rebrand with any sort of frequency and at the same time hope to get a boost from it more than once - i.e., one has to hope that that KSG wouldn't be so foolish as to squander what is really a once-every-few-decades opportunity.

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I vote for them to rebrand as the Boston Burnsout. Is that a typo on Burnouts? I'll let you decide

a517dogg, TOAzer, pwykes and 1 other person repped this.
  11. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same for me. STH since '96. I actually signed up but then couldn't make it into the city to take part. If it was in Foxboro I would have gone. Too much hassle getting into the city.

12. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the opening... had to go through it!:)

TOAzer repped this.
  13. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Does all this mean they realize that they have driven the 'Revolution' brand into the ground? Am I taking everything too cynically?

If so, I hope they do something more than just change the name.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs moving to Union pt Weymouth?

It's a discussion of Weymouth's bid for the PawSox vs Worcester's. Relevant here because the $85m kicked in by Weymouth plus south shore location half mile from MBTA station and mixed use development nearby would be attractive to the Krafts I imagine. Just 18 miles from Boston and a half hour train ride from South Station is good for folks living there.

Of course, it's important to note the article said that proposal was never finalized for the PawSox. No other evidence supporting the revs, just seems to line up with what the Krafts are looking for pretty nicely.

15. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding rebranding, I don't think they need to change the name. The name is fine and unique. It shortens to Revs, which I like. The problem is the logo/crest. It is the reason 90% of their apparel is crap. I don't need an SC or FC to feel legitimate. Just modernize the crest.

swedust and a517dogg repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weymouth would be no different (and worse for a lot of people) that building an SSS in Foxboro. They need to be somewhere within T-range (not commuter rail), or nothing at all.

And yes, the crest is crap. It works OK on a white background, but when you put it on another color you have to do white outlines, which makes it a strange shape. If you look at the rest of the league, every single team has a badge or circle or something that is a self-contained entity that can go on any background.

If a Pakistani cricket team can steal the Midnight Riders' logo, maybe the Revs themselves can find inspiration in something along those lines. Most of the fan-created designs we've seen are much better than the crappy crayon mid-90s ripoff of the 94 WC logo.

17. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #92 Brian in Boston, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    I'm still of the mind that Mark Walls of St. Paul, Minnesota-based Cema Graphics designed the best New England Revolution logo/crest I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

This design would ensure continuity of the team's visual identity by retaining elements from the logo that the New England Revolution have sported since the franchise's inception (namely, the star-paneled soccer ball and U.S. flag striping). At the same time, execution of said components would be cleaned up and contained within a more traditional shield-shaped badge.

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! That was one of the designs I was thinking of when I made that post.

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wondering and mentioning this remote possibility for quite some time now. What holds my curiosity with this is that I live 8 minutes away from Union Point, so I have selfish reasons for thinking this might be cool.

One other thing which heightened my "conspiracy theory" on this was when I saw the "Union Point" Luxury section being built at Gillette. I thought to myself..... hmmmm, what's the connection? Also, I do know that there is a pre-approved footprint and location within U.P. for a sports stadium. The plans show a baseball field but that is fungible. If the Kraft's were interested in this, there would be no public hearings because those have already taken place. They are also widening Rt. 18 to 4 lanes and the commuter rail goes right into U.P. and on a regular schedule.

20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
  21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Here's a very recent update on UMass Boston parcel.

I'm not taking a stance on this either way, but there is one possible reading of this article that implies that a stadium at this location is not dead. This take hinges on the choice of developer, and the overall vision for the development of this plot that has yet to be developed.

I acknowledge that is a very liberal interpretation of the article's contents . That being said, there's definitely an opening there, in terms of how the article describes the process that is still unfolding. Hmmm.

With apologies to Princess Bride, it may be only "mostly dead", but not totally dead.

https://www.dotnews.com/2018/umass-closes-developer-pick-bayside-property

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so the talks with Kraft "ended abruptly" last year, and now they have a list of 16 different developers with proposals, and they are whittling it down to a few finalists. I assume that part of the selection process involves what each developer has in mind for the parcel. Someone mentioned a Harvard Square type area, which could be good or maybe not so good, depending on how well it is implemented.

Still, I have to think that if a stadium was going to happen, the talks with Kraft would have continued with both sides perhaps compromising somewhat to keep things going. Since they ended, apparently one or both sides agreed that they couldn't find common ground. I could be wrong (and I hope I am), but I can't see this happening now.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goussoccer repped this.