Revolution Stadium Groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part XII

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think it's going to take that long - unless there's a big turnaround by Boston2024 pretty quick. I don't think USOC is going to stick with Boston much longer with all the negativity it's generating. There's already been one reboot that has failed to sway the debate. I think that's two strikes down.

I think it's fine if Boston and MA decide they don't want this thing - but the way the public debate is going on and the incompetence of the "committee" all reflect poorly on the region IMO. It's not about facts or solid proposals, it's about those who believe that corruption/favoritism/overruns/cronyism/incompetence etc. are inevitable, because people don't believe that we're capable of anything else. Rather sad. Instead of looking like the 21st century city/region this is (leading the country in many important categories), this process/response seem like a throwback to an uglier, more parochial time in our history.

lufty repped this.
  2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, I agree. Things get weird when public money is discussed.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we capable of anything else? What leads you to believe that? Certainly not the latest example of corruption/favoritism/overruns/cronyism/incompetence: the MBTA.

4. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    To be fair, the MBTA would be more efficient if it wasn't servicing a large amount of debt from The Big Dig.

MM66 repped this.
  5. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You might be right about the USOC chucking the Boston bid early. However, the most likely outcome for Widett in those circumstances is the developers and BRA, which put together the post-Olympics vision for Dot Ave. and Widett, would move straight onto that proposal.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we've also got Michael Jackson's brother (or at least someone with the same name) from the City Council putting in a formal, legal request to see the whole financial plan for the bid. It seems that conveniently two chapters were left out. We don't know what's in it, but it sure seems pretty shaky that they'd "forget" to include what appears to be a significant portion of the document.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, the Big Dig, another example of corruption/favoritism/overruns/cronyism/incompetence. @rkupp suggests that we are beyond that time in our history. I'd like to believe that, but I am not Pollyanna. What evidence is there that we are indeed beyond that?

8. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Seeing the number of Fans the Revs can put in the stands with a half decent team... would it make sense for the revs to move to Boston? I mean... by the time they put the revs in Boston it could be 2025, after the olympics... and by then the Revs and MLS could be well on their way to averaging 100% capacity which gives teams like the REVS, Seattle, Atlanta, and Vancouver the ability to expand greatly inside NFL Stadium on a regular basis. I know it is a pipe dream but the Revs average attendance has gone up a bunch over the past 2 or 3 years (12K in 2009 up to 17+ or more this season). What is to say that this won't continue to be the trend. I don't think 30K in Foxboro is a bad number. It feels like a louder stadium. Granted... it doesn't sound like Seattle, or for that matter KC, but it isn't a bad home. With the new end zone luxury seating area opening next year it could actually work out well for the Revs. Maybe we should just put this thread to bed and start working on maintaining the 29K attendance number that showed up last weekend.

We only have 6? more home games this year. No doubt the season finale will fit approx 33K at.... and the way this season is turning out... the log jam in the standings... it may bring more people to Foxboro, especially... since the Red Sox blow chunks, they have mailed it in. Boston is a sports town and it is looking like they may start turning out if the Revs start their August til end of season run up the standings.

9. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    From ownership's perspective, 30k in a 60k stadium is not as good as 25k in a 25k stadium. if you sell out your stadium, you can jack up ticket prices and make more money. also remember a good portion of our large attendances include tickets given away to youth soccer teams or whoever. with a smaller packed stadium you'll also have less variance in your attendance if you know every game will be close to a sellout, versus having to scramble at the last minute. so that'll cut down on food/beverage costs as well as there'll be less waste (less accidental overpurchasing). and with people buying tickets early to guard against the possibility of not getting in, they can cut down on marketing as well (if that's even possible for the Revs).

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  10. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Understood. Why not cap the number of tickets at say... 22K then? Like Seattle does. Raise it as demand calls for it on a yearly basis.

11. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Or the Krafts could buy a freezer. Why aren't they storing food in a freezer? A freezer preserves much food longer. They had a freezer on my aircraft carrier, so why can't they have a freezer at the stadium?

RevsLiverpool, rkupp and A Casual Fan repped this.
  12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    mmm, 2-week-old frozen beer...

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Repped for Seinfeldiness.

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston Olympics organizers release original, unredacted bid
    ESPN Boston
    7/24/2015

Not sure exactly what this means in the grand scheme of things, but interesting none-the-less...

15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At worst, this is one huge obstacle that has been removed.

The Krafts should sit quiet for a couple of months and let the bad taste be removed from every ones mouth and then, assuming they are serious, re-engage this fall.

18. Minuteman

Minuteman Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Abington, MA
    Yes, this sounds sound! :)

19. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp :)

MLSFan123 repped this.
  20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah, that goes with out saying.

If they just want to re-engage with their hand held out looking for money, they might as well stay home.

It is very sad for me because I feel like if they were willing to put up the money, they could actually get this done in a reasonable time frame (say 3-5 years).

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I had thought that it made sense for Walsh to be more committed to the project that had the higher probability of actually getting implemented. It seems he was not committed to Boston2024, we'll see if he really wants a Revs stadium.

23. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Revs Stadium will now get done. There will be backlash on the lost olympic bid but now the land is free for the Revs to build a 30K seater in the same location.

To be honest though. I kind of like where the revs play now. Free Parking... no hassels. Room to Grow the team attendance a ton. Cheap tickets.

JDEsq09 repped this.
  24. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He proved committed to not being extorted and left with billions in debt. I commend him for that.

And there is no way he is going near the debt "deal" Bob Kraft wants for the stadium. At the very least, they want a similar rate to the auction rate maturity bonds they had for Gillette (that market collapsed around 2006, near the end of maturity). To get that kind of low rate, they want the city to take out the loans and they will make the payments "without any risk for the city". Boston would be on the hook if something awful were to happen to the Kraft family, so there is always risk involved.

lufty, RevsLiverpool and MM66 repped this.
  25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on Walsh. He had a backbone and didn't cave. Hopefully the Krafts strike while the iron's hot. It's on a silver platter ffs.