Revolution Stadium groundbreaking "12-24 months" Part III

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting to Wonderland from major student /20 something hot beds in Boston:
    Gov't Center: 20 minutes
    Northeastern: 36 minutes
    Central Square, Cambridge: 45 minutes
    Davis Square, Somerville: 50 minutes
    BU: 50 minutes
    Alewife Station, Cambridge: 53 minutes
    Brighton (Cleveland Circle): 53 minutes
    Southie: 71 minutes
    Riverside Station, Newton: 71 minutes
    BC: 79 minutes

Are these transit times better than Foxboro for more people? Of course. However, if you're a driver from the south/west your best bet is probably to drive in to Gov't Center and take the T from there.

2. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just drive to the nearest station that has better scheduling for you. It would take to long to figure them all out, but if you know you are going to a game Sat you can make all sort of plans. The only option to Foxboro is to drove there from your house. I am driving all over Metrowest many Saturdays.

There will be parking, but expect to pay $20-$30 for privilege. Those that carpool will take that option.

If I lived in Framingham, I would drive and park somewhat close to boston that got me on Blue, Orange, Red lines.

3. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, Boston's drivability compared to cities like NYC are an advantage. Don't forget the health benefits of public transportation.

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right you could of course do that but I was just thinking for people who come in from Framingham, Worcester, etc taking the commuter rail is closer rather than driving to Alewife or Riverside.

5. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing that you do bring it up. I live in Boston, but if the Redsox can play in Boston, I imagine the Revs won't inconvenience too many people at Wonderland.

I think Wonderland would sell out first year, so the fan base may change due to commute.

The Latino community might engage in a big way.

6. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Oh come on.

This is like me saying

"Lets look at driving times from Framingham to Wonderland via the Ben and jerrys factory, look how annoying it is!'

Drive to riverside. Dont worry about schedules.

Pay $1.70 to reach wonderland.

And done.

How hard!

And once again, due to the magic of "density", by definition, for every fan in the suburbs, there are ten in the urban core.

So the team doesnt have to give half a damn about people outside the core MBTA system and still be able to sell more tickets than at foxboro.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey great - thanks for agreeing with me. I'm not arguing there are more people outside the GBA I'm talking about getting to the actual park. There really aren't that many Rev fans in the city proper right now so unless they are able to cultivate that 20 something fan base and convince them to go up to wherever the SSS is, the urban SSS will fail just like Foxboro has.

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't care about current Revs fans. Most of them suck.

9. 57 States

57 States New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Wonder how many trains ran this past Wednesday for the sold out games in Kansas and Utah.

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Oh, you mean cities that aren't built around, supported by, and rely upon a public subway?

11. 57 States

57 States New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Correct and in the case of a city like Boston, a city that will never have a soccer staduim no matter how hard people dream. The only question is where do the Revs wind up, Vegas, Orlando. Plenty of open cheap land to build

12. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm glad there is at least one other loser trolling this thread on a Saturday night besides me.

13. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC's stadium lies in the H (Topeka) corridor for their commuter rail project. Excluding the Johnson county commuter rail that is already in the works, it would be after the Odessa and Pleasant Hill corridors. Unfortunately it's also a difficult project because that area has single-line rail and lots of freight traffic, so it would be capital intensive. Probably a long term option.

Arrowhead is along the Odessa corridor.

Meanwhile people in KC pretty much have cars.

14. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This is one of the most convoluted posts I've seen on this collection of threads.

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you! Your opinions always make my day.

16. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He's right. How do you know how many Rev fans there are in Boston? I know plenty.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a handful of people too, but I was basing my comment on NEVER seeing any rev jerseys around in the city, in the stores, or anywhere else. This leads me to believe the current fan base are still very suburban / non-Boston based.

Hopefully, the Revs will be able to cultivate a lot of fans who are in the city and translate this whole new fan base into active, rabid supporters.

18. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I go out in Boston after a game on Saturday, I get a lot of questions/ comments about the game. There is awareness.

19. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There are no revs jerseys in the suburbs either. Other than seeing the few people you may know, or the random mom or dad with a Revs hat on at a youth soccer game, Revs brand reach is basically nonexistent regardless if you are in the burbs or in the city.

Also, making a judgement on demographic and geographic popularity by what you perceive, is one of the worst mistakes one could made in marketing.

The whole concept of moving to an urban location is not due to the teams current fanbase. It's clear that the current fanbase is too small to support the team. The franchise owns it's own stadium, and still loses money year after year. They have to find new and relatively untapped markets if they want to survive. It isn't about how many Revs jerseys you see in the city. It's about how many Revs jerseys you could see in the city.

How many viewing parties are the Revs holding in the burbs? That should be a clearer indicator to you of where the Revs feel their greater potential market is. Not by looking at some convoluted theory about how many Revs jerseys you see.

20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As an aside: As someone who has lived most of his life in Boston/Cambridge, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that there are tons of Revs fans, or potential Revs fans in the city. I know a lot of people who use to go to games, but got sick of driving to Foxboro every other Saturday during the summer to see a horrible product, in an empty stadium. A lot of those people, who weren't soccer fans before being Revs fans, now wake up at 6am on Saturdays and Sundays to watch the Premier League because they can take the T to the bar, have a few drinks, watch a compelling product, and take the T home and take a nap during the boring Revs games. That is not an indictment on them. It is an indictment on the entire Revs organization and their failure to tap a soccer market starved for the professional game.

What I'm saying is nothing new. People have been posting similar thoughts for years. It is just sad that the Revs continue to fail to capture the regions most densely populate, and potentially rabid fan base.

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there are soccer fans and there are MLS soccer fans. There is an urban market for soccer fans who get up and go to watch the Prem at Phoenix Landing or the Banshee (side question: are there only 2 soccer friendly bars in Boston? I never hear anyone mention any others).

Is there a market for urban rev fans? Who's to say your friends aren't still going to take a nap rather than go see MLS soccer whether it's in Foxboro or Boston? That's your perception but your anecdote is just as convoluted as my "theory."

22. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's soccer bars, and there's "Bedside Baptist," where they have cold bottles of whatever it is you drink and a 52" plasma TV with the sound turned up to the point where you can hear it and fewer smelly drunk Brits.

23. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The majority of people who are watching EPL games in Boston are former or current Revs fans. If the stadium was accesible to city dwellers via public transportation (the T, not the commuter rail) and the product on the field was decent, I'd be willing to bet that many of these people would return to supporting this team in a heartbeat.

24. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Blackthorne is where the Boston Gooners meet

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, it's about the product and genuinely hope it translates into success. My intention is not to argue the Revs shouldn't move to Boston; I'm naturally skeptical and going on what my eyes and ears tell me when I'm out in the city (all the time).

I will acknowledge that's probably a poor leading indicator but I'm still skeptical there are (or will be, with this ownership group) thousands of rabid urban MLS fans living under rocks and in crevices just begging to spend their money on this team.