News: Rev Roster 2018

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because, even though they aren't under contract with the Revs, the Revs still hold their MLS rights. LA2 could, in theory, select the rights to one of them in the expansion draft and then try to sign them.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were correct about Nemeth, as Lemieux confirms:

a517dogg repped this.
  3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of figured. So LA2's going to pick Kouassi, he's going to sign with them, he's going to be a beast in the midfield for them, and we're going to wonder why we can't get players like that.

Feldspar repped this.
  4. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If that beast is a water buffalo, since that approximates Kouassi's lumbering first touch, lack of passing range and general lack of vision.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Obviously we disagree on Kouassi, but I'll just say that the first season back after an ACL replacement isn't the right window to evaluate a player.
    I like this possibility, but wondering the cost. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to outbid Nottingham Forest (for an outside defender), but we'll see.

Does our spot in the allocation order matter here? That must be due to reset soon, so it would be nice to get something from that.

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the MLS website
    Once the club uses its allocation ranking to acquire a player, it drops to the bottom of the list. A ranking can be traded, provided that part of the compensation received in return is the other club’s ranking. At all times, each club is assigned one ranking. The rankings reset at the end of each MLS League season.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure, but I think the League season ends right after MLS Cup.

So, the Revs only have a few days to use it or lose it.

8. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind. Lichaj is not on the allocation list.

So, it's first come, first serve.

Also, from the comments section of the article above:

goussoccer, VTSoccerFan and MM66 repped this.
  10. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    dncm repped this.
  11. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, NE Revs will be right on top of the list when Bale's contract runs out in 2022. Lets see, Bales makes $25m a year. That works out to about $650k a week. Bale will be quite shocked to learn that the Revs were talking per season, not per week when they tried to sign him!

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Come home Geoff Cameron ... pleeeeease.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's never going to play for the revs. Or at least it would be highly unlikely.

14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BERich repped this.
  16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
  17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have some things to chat about today
    Trade window open for four hours and the draft protected lists due out today
    Scuttle butt has Kai on his way West for_______?

18. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draft picks. Very 1997 of the Revs.

MM66, patfan1, Crooked and 1 other person repped this.
  19. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Kei trade is a done deal. 2019 1st round draft pick and a couple other MLS fake trinkets. No player, nothing for 18

20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Draft picks? Huh?

Maybe Friedel is "5 steps ahead" of everyone else, but if it is anything like Burns being "5 steps ahead".....well, not sure how getting rid of Kei truly positions Revs to improve their chances in 2018. No college draftees can make up the goals that left town with Kei. (Regardless of whether it is Friedel or Burns who is calling the personnel shots.)

I remain realistically pessimistic about this teams desire to and ability to attract proven talent; so, this trade clearly puts them deeper in an already-deep roster hole from which they seemingly already did not have the wherewithal to climb out of. It is fun to imagine that getting rid of Kei as a salary dump is a precursor to some "really big" and meaningful acquisition. But there isn't too much history to point at to make that seem a likely outcome.

If Kei was "just too expensive" - well, that's even more disappointing. He actually was a reasonably priced DP - at 35th place, he was well down the list of top salaries in MLS. Multiple other teams had two or more players paid higher than him.

Crooked and TOAzer repped this.
  21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those Whacky Revs..... Party like it's 1999.

Crooked repped this.
  22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the Revs have to end up paying any part of Kei's contract then the trade was a bust. Far as I am concern unless they plan to land a striker or a "name" DP this trade was just for the sake of making a move. Do they expect Nemeth to replace those 12 goals? Do they expect Agudelo to shoulder the load? That is a lot to expect. Again the Revs set themselves up to what looks like to the fans as a plan to make bold moves. whether they come thru or not is another story. Lets hope they don't wait until April to fill out there roster

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously doubt that Brad F uploaded Kai without a locked in plan. Much to early to have any idea what he has in mind. Is Kai gone because he doesn't fit with the style Brad wants to play? Does Brad already have a commitment from someone he wants to bring in? Too many unknowns to start warming up the Tar and digging out the feathers yet. IMO we are just starting to see the dominos start falling.

I must admit I find trading for a draft pick a rather puny return for a player of Kai's stature

24. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do admire your magic at conjuring hope [Hope!] from the smallest traces of stardust........while at the same time slyly admitting that there is dust in that there star...;)