Reserve Game vs Kansas- 5/28 [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, May 28, 2006.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
  2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the recap from mlsnet.com.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team...ntent_id=60554&vkey=pr_kcw&fext=.jsp&team=kcw

Kansas City Wizards Reserves (2-1-0, 6 pts.) vs. D.C. United Reserves (1-1-1, 4 pts.)
    Sunday, May 28, 2006, 9:00 a.m. (CT)
    Arrowhead Practice Facility, Kansas City, MO
    Weather - Balmy & Sunny, 85°

Scoring Summary:
    KC- Jack Jewsbury (Penalty Kick) 77'
    KC- Ryan Pore (Jermaine Hue) 80'

Cautions:
    KC-Ryan Raybould (Unsporting Behavior) 73'

Kansas City Wizards Lineup (4-3-3): Will Hessmer-GK; Stephen Shirley, Tyson Wahl, Brian Roberts, Corey Farabi (Matt Groenwald 71'); Lance Watson (Jermaine Hue 45'), Ryan Raybould (C), Ryan McMahen; Will John (Josh Duffy 82'), Yura Movsisyan (Ryan Pore 71'), Sergei Raad (Jack Jewsbury 63')

Subs not used: Eric Kronberg-GK

D.C. United Lineup (3-5-2): Nick Rimando-GK (Ryan McIntosh 63'); Stephen Deroux, John Wilson (C), Devon McTavish; Andy Metcalf (David Stokes 63'), Jeff Carroll, Rod Dyachenko, Justin Moose (Amir Lowery 49'), Dominic Mediate (Idris Ughiouhe 87'); Matt Nickell, Lucio Filomeno

Notes - Rimando had a clean sheet in his 63 minutes. Both trialists (Lowery - former Rapid midfielder) and Ughiouhe (Fire supplemental pick from Howard Univ.) were used as subs. Wilson looks to have played another game at center-back.

3. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Oh, I guess that's what the (C) means. ;)

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I figured it was for captain.

5. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is the Captain notation......Wilson played centerback based on the line-up listing (in the middle of the 3 defenders - with de Roux and McTavish as outside backs).

6. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Hmmm... Well, then what does ";)" mean? :rolleyes:

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    So Stokes and Moose are now healthy enough to play? When did hell freeze over?

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yesterday I was looking at rookies who played so far this year. The onty three teams that haven't had any rookies play even a minute are the three best teams in the league: Houston, Dallas, and DC.

9. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Which is surprising considering Carroll, Moose, Ianni, McCarty, and Moore were all well-regarded at the combine and in the draft.

10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Moose was well-regarded but as been injured for a lot of this year.

Carroll, Ianni, McCarty and Moore may have been "nice" player to develop. However, I don't think any of them were slam-dunks for starting (or even minutes) from the beginning of the season.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    It depended on the teams they were drafted onto and their situations. Ianni was expected to get minutes for Houston after Califf's departure, but Serioux fell into their lap and has started every game he was eligible for. Add an improved Cochrane and Ianni will be hard-pressed to get time this season above reserve games.

As for McCarty and Moore, they were seen as projects (at least that's how Buzz viewed them), but I expected Moore to at least battle Rhine for the rightback spot. However, a returning Mulrooney, the addition of Cooper, and the improvement of Yi and Moor have made playing time for any rookie in Dallas nearly impossible. They have scary depth at some positions and have no need to rush any of their GA's (and they have quite a few).

As for DC, well, it's a shock. Most of us thought that Nowak would stick to the 3-5-2 all season and would need wide players. However, his ability to switch up line-ups and the increased perfomance by Adu have limited the need for DC to push any of the rookies (see how VS stumbled when he was backed into a starting position). I really can't see that situation changing unless one of our midfielders gets hurt for an extended period of time, and, even then, Moose would still be pretty low on the depth chart. At the least, he's behind Mediate, Quaranta when healthy, and Wilson (I assume Gros would be switched to the right if he came on).

What it really boils down to is that the teams with depth aren't in a rush to play rookies and it shows. Teams that are in serious trouble (NY, LA, Chivas, RSL, KC due to call-ups, and Columbus) are pushing rookies heavily and hoping that they perform in a "make or break" situation.