"Reputation"?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Rocket, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    i hate this reputation thing!! isnt enough that i ahve to keep a reputation in kuwait between the people cause im a women!! and know i have to do it on bigsoccer!!!

2. JetPilot

JetPilot New Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am just posting to see what my reputation is as I just became a member.

3. JetPilot

JetPilot New Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have been veiwing a lot of comments on this Reputation deal and it looks like the opinions are split. There are pros and cons as with many things you will come across. I dont know if this is a pro or a con, but I do see one thing happening as a direct result of the reputation deal. And that is simply: more posts. People are going to post more and more in order to have a greater chance at getting "posotive feedback" and in turn gaining reputation status and/or seeing where they stand in the general view of the forum. All in all I think it can be a good thing for the site.

not that i am an expert or anything(far from it).. only opinion

4. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    I see my fears of the "Reputation" system are coming to fruition. Again.

ElJefe, who I make a point to stay very clear of on BigSoccer, just gave me negative rep just to be an asshat with a "here's some negative rep, assclown" remark.

Huss, is there a way to report gross misuse of the Reputation system? I do not feel it's fair in ANY WAY for me to be penalized from certain BigSoccer perks because people like Dustin have to act like sophmoric jerks. I make it a point to never cross within 20 miles of anything he does on BigSoccer, and yet he has to troll.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How to deal with bullies:

Rule #1) Don't go whining to the teacher
    Rule #2) Don't let anyone know it bothers you
    Rule #3) Don't retaliate unless you're ready to back it up

And what the hell is an "assclown"? Is that supposed to be insulting?

6. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to a Google Image Search, this is an assclown:
    [​IMG]

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is possible to turn this feature off on some users. I'd hate to be in a situation where I had 3 out of every 10 people giving me bad rep, and leaving comments.

8. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Dude, we aren't in grade school anymore.

I have a right to express my opinion on a message board, allegedly predominated by adults. The system has a fatal flaw (i.e. people like Dustin and you who have to dish out negative rep to make yourself feel better) and I have no qualms about exposing the system's problems.

How can I try to effect change if I don't speak up about the problem in the first place?

And what retaliation do you speak of?

-------------------------

Huss, this kind of nonsense is why the system does not work in the end. Unless you have a plan to deal with egregious abuse of the system that could determine whether a BigSoccer user gets certain "perks", the system will ultimately fail. I'm NOT starting the problem here. You have users out there who aren't discouraged presently from abuse of the Reputation system.

9. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    IMO, that won't work.

I should not be penalized from getting good positive Rep perks because I had to have my Rep system turned OFF because the system is allowed to be abused without reprimand of the users who abuse the system.

It's too easy to take the easy solution that you present. It's better to do the right thing and police the system effectively.

10. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    I wouldn't worry too much about the few negative ratings that happen.

As long as the vast majority of users hand out positive ratings than the very small handful of users who hand out (mostly or all) negatives will have a minimal impact on anyone's overall rating.

Also, the impact of negative ratings is mitigated by the fact that noone else knows when you get them. Your exact point total is known only to you. No one else can tell if you got your rating with or without negative ratings along the way.

In the end, it's only people who get predominantly negative ratings who get negative reputations.

11. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think SL has it right, but we are listenign to this discussion.

12. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Thank you for monitoring this situation, Huss. I'm actually hoping my worse fears for this Rep system is dead wrong.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What "fears". You mention not being in grade school. BigSoccer "reputation" should have no effect on you ability to get a job, a life-mate, or a good table at that nice restaurant down the street.

And if half of your posts deal with the reputation system, then I would suggest that the reputation system isn't working.

Let it go. Your getting into the same kind of hissy fit over this that used to draw the scorn and ire of your fellow Crew fans when you were SoccerAndy5. I'm not saying it's fair or just. It just is. Don't let it bother you.

If it makes you feel any better, I accidently gave jmeissen positive rep yesterday. I'm going to have to buy him a beer for that one.

14. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian New Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Club:
    --other--
    That's okay, I will make up for that later when I can dispense reputation again :)

15. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so is whoring yourself out for positive reputation points considered a legal practice?

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Illegal things are always that much more fun. ;)

17. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You obviously didn't sit in on my interview the other day. When the interviewer told me that the firm doesn't hire anyone with less than 6 green nipples, my heart sunk.

AndyGK, look, you have enough reputation points to last you through retirement and possibly pay for your kids' college education, so a negative rep here or there isn't going to make a dent in your lifelong dream of spending your autumnal years in the Keys sipping on Mojito. If reading those mean, hurtful comments is the problem, then go click on the button on the top right corner of the reputations box and pretend you never got them. Problem solved!

19. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignorance is bliss.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no laws against it at the present time, although I'm sure congress is working on it. I think internet reputation points are in a similar situation now that digital copyright was in a few years back. people haven't a clue, but eventually Uncle Sam will step in and make an even bigger mess out of it.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, when you hit six, it isn't six nipples since the sixth one glows. We've begun to refer to it as "five nipples" and "glowing teats." Doesn't anybody send you mods the memos? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Okay, I realize it's such a trivial issue, but I can't get over this.
    If it's "abuse" for someone to give you negative rep just because they don't like you, isn't is equally abusive to give positive rep just because they like you, or you solicited positive rep in a thread titled "Premium Reputation Lovefest"?

23. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Wigga please. You know I don't read good.

Oh, and how does it feel to have a teat? Is it as sensitive as a nipple?

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its free love though man!

[​IMG]

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite as sensitive as a nipple, but it glows and gives more milk. So I guess there are positives and negatives...just like reps.