Reno 1868 FC: USL affiliate of the Earthquakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Feb 6, 2017.

1. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Honest question. I haven't watch any of their games. Russell coached under Dom. What is the difference between's Ian's 4-4-2 and Dom's 4-4-2. Does Ian have Reno in a diamond?

Also, wasn't the original plan to align all the teams in the preferred 3-5-2.

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Reno won 1-0 and moves past Swope Park into 3rd place. Pelosi played about 35 minutes and was solid but not spectacular. He did have a nice slalom run to draw a foul in the 85th minute. He got pissed off about having his legs swept out and chest bumped the guy that dumped him. I'd really like to see him get a half to see if he's feeling confident about his knee. I noticed he was adjusting his socks a lot and that seemed like a nervous habit.

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Guys and gals, Reno is on the road tonight and trying to win their fifth game in a row. You have time to watch at 7pm, check out YouTube here

You'll likely get a Pelosi sighting and perhaps watch Mfeca tear up the midfield. Luis Filipe Fernandez is a young guy to watch as well. No Dane Kelly tonight, he got his first call up to Jamaica. Reno is just 8 goals away from breaking the USL scoring record for a season. Go Ian!

bsman repped this.
  4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Reno wins again 3-1. Will Ian Russell win coach of the year in USL?

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he'll be in the conversation if this keeps up. One coach he'll likely be competing against is Louisville City's James O'Connor, they're first in the east, and unlike Russell he made this article on mlssoccer.com:

Sabetti: 10 coaches who would be a good fit in MLS
    10. John Wolyniec
    9. James O'Connor
    8. Alan Koch
    7. Robin Fraser
    6. Marc Dos Santos
    5. Giovanni Savarese
    4. Didier Deschamps
    3. Frank De Boer
    2. Aitor Karanka
    1. Paulo Sousa

6. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap, I know Reno is doing well but had no idea they were THIS good. Awesome!

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL Power Rankings – Week 24

MtnGardener repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reno Races Past Los Dos
    ESPINAL, RICHARDS NET TO LEAD 1868 FC TO 2-1 ROAD WIN

• 1. Reno’s quest to break the single-season record for goals scored continues, as the club netted their 58th and 59th goals of the season in the win against the Galaxy II on Wednesday. Now three goals back from the setting the record, Reno has scored in five consecutive matches. 1868 FC has been held scoreless in only three games this campaign.

• 3. The Galaxy II’s home woes continue, as the club falls to 3-8-3 at the StubHub Center - Track Stadium. The loss also puts the Galaxy II on the verge of missing the USL Cup Playoffs for the first time since joining the league. With seven games to go in the regular season, the Galaxy II will need a Herculean effort to rise from the ashes and continue their playoff participation streak.

The Galaxy II being 3-8-3 at home isn't so bad considering the Galaxy are 2-8-4... #schadenfreude

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I wonder if Kinnear was there to watch?

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    2-1 loss, it bears Dom's fingerprints :).

due time repped this.
  13. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announcers - who could not pronounce a name right all night - said he was there watching the game.

14. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That annoyed me too. You'd think they could spend a few minutes before the game figuring out the names as a basic part of the job.

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I guess Ian Russell really is a poor coach. I mean, gross lack of success there in Reno.

Go 1868!!

- Mark

davez repped this.
  16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Scoring goals in a 4-4-2 as well. How can that be possible? It's not a modern enough formation to do that.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's a new 2nd which was just a 3rd division with many recently promoted college players. I'm sure the competition and defending isn't as tough as MLS.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fact, USL is sort of like early MLS, if you took out the high level foreign players (Valderrama, Jaime Moreno) and the national team level US/Canadian players (no Brian McBrides or Eddie Popes here). Basically it's like having a league full of MLS 1.0 roster filler, with some young MLS prospects mixed in. So this isn't meant to be a knock on Ian Russell as I don't know much about him as a coach, but it seems like the ideal type of environment for Yallop/Kinnear formations and tactics to flourish. What they do only stopped working at the MLS level with the onset of the DP rule and TAM and homegrown players. Kinnear's stated soccer philosophy is basically to not make mistakes while targeting an opposing player who is subpar and will screw up. Well that's not going to work (not at a high enough rate to make the playoffs) once MLS teams have the resources to field deeper rosters, but it would work at the USL level as all those teams have plenty of guys who just don't belong.

due time repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Steve Sampson stated in an interview, even putting the John Harkes, Eric Wynalda love triangle aside, when he picked his 1998 WC team, MLS from 1996 -98 was nowhere near where the league is at today. If you look at the formations of those early games and the gaps between the defense, mids and forwards, its completely changed. there were good players back then but I think the game is faster and has changed to an extent now. Players are always running and have much more skills and techniques than they did back then. Also, many team had players coming and going in those first 3 years. DC United had a good team back then though.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big day for Reno 1868... they broke the record for most goals in a season, Lindo Mfeka had a hat trick, and they clinched a playoff berth... not bad for their inaugural season.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mf**ka! Great 2nd goal by Lindo. Picks up the ball near midfield and drives toward the goal before unleashing a rocket from 30 yards out.

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Wow! A lot to like there. Speed with the ball, getting off a strong shot from 30 yards out quickly at speed with guys closing and a small window. Lindo! Makes me want to break out this 70's classic, The Lindo Shuffle!

24. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to travel to DC with the Quakes!

Lindo woah oh oh oh
    He's for the money
    He's for the show
    Lindo's waiting for the go
    Lindo woah oh oh oh oh
    He said one more job ought to get it
    One last shot 'fore we quit it
    One more for the road

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca