Reno 1868 FC: USL affiliate of the Earthquakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Feb 6, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Archie Manning did not force Peyton Manning to play football.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cesre Maldini was good but not nearly as good as his son Paolo Maldini. Paolo's sons are a 100 times worse than he was and they are or were militating in the 4th divisions. Paolo was a starter at 16 I believe and played until he was 41. I have no clue about Galindo Jr but if he was or is has the potential to be as good as his dad, he would be a starter in Mexico right now.

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always tough being the child of a successful parent and expected to follow in their footsteps. Remember when being the child of a big movie star made it impossible to become a successful actor? Nowadays though, a lot of kids' acting careers leverage their lineage.

Recently I heard David Beckham bemoan that only his daughter was still playing soccer.
    OTOH, Claudio Reyna's son is going to Borussia Dortmund, and apparently has a shot at rivaling his dad's career.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sadly, Reyna's other son died recently and he has taken it pretty hard. I think he was slated to be a good player as well.

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah SI had a pretty heartbreaking article about Jack Reyna. He was supposed to have been even more promising, and the younger Gio said he had really learned to play from his older brother (who died of brain cancer at 13).

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Another Reno win, this time on the road against RGV in Texas 2-1. Not a great game by Reno but winning is the main thing. I was pretty disappointed with Quake’s homegrown Jacob Akanyirige. He started at right back and was loose with his passing. He also picked up a yellow card on an offensive corner kick by elbowing his marker in the face. How he avoided a red card is beyond me. It was a dirty little shot that could have knocked the RGV player’s teeth out.

2in10 repped this.
  7. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bersano was very good in net but seems to have lost his jumping ability or was late picking up the shot on the goal and one other that hit the crossbar.
    Akanyirige has run hot and cold as 17 year olds are want to do.
    In the first half Reno could have put the game away if Apodaca had passed to an open Hertzog not once but twice. There were also a couple of scuffed shots pulled off line that might have become scoring chances on rebounds in the game. No highlights yet.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Amazing how Russell is able to rotate through so many players and still consistently get results. It seems like every game features a different lineup.

2in10 repped this.
  9. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He tries to keep a core. I would love to see a few weeks worth of practices to see how he does it.

TallSierra repped this.
  10. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
    disappointing the success on the pitch doesn’t lead to increased attendance at home games. Not surprising though- Soccer in a baseball stadium is a compromised and ultimately unsatisfactory experience for all.

sacrxy repped this.
  11. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for all, but some. For some they overcome to support the local team and have professional footie to watch.
    For others the atmosphere at the game discourages them. They think everyone at the stadium should be sitting on their hands like they do.
    Do not project your feelings on everyone.

TallSierra repped this.
  12. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA

13. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
    Thrilled that you feel it’s a great viewing experience. Unfortunately area soccer fans don’t share your feelings. Falling game attendance each season. If a team’s winning games and fewer fans are coming..any front office should be concerned for the long term viability of the club. USL President Jake Edwards quoted this week in The Atlantic following league meetings....on league teams playing in baseball stadiums “it’s not the right environment. It’s suboptimal in terms of pure soccer environment...”. it’s why 1868 FC coach Ian Russell
    (unprompted) said on Nevada Sports Net earlier this season that the team needed its own soccer stadium.

14. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say it was great viewing. Have you polled them? Supplied it to the club? I am glad Ian mentioned the need for a soccer stadium. My supporters group puts a bug in Eric's ear every chance we get, too. Having been born and raised in Reno and lived here all of my life since the days of the Silver Sox A baseball team, Reno fans are as fickle if not more than many. If they can't have it exactly their way then they aren't going to support a team no matter how successful they are. The Aces had the same attendance issue over the first couple of seasons. The novelty wore off and the downtown location and having to pay for parking doesn't go over well with all since they have to budget so carefully with the high cost of living in relationship to wages. It is more than just one thing like the stadium. A lot of the fans are young families and have kids who play soccer and need to make the decision between kids and watching soccer.

Glad to see another local Reno fan on this forum, BTW.

15. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #765 2in10, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019

4-1 loss to San Antonio, worst game played all season. Having 4 come over from San Jose on Friday afternoon and start on Saturday severely disrupted the flow of the team.
    Partida, Calvillo, Fuentes, Haji and Galindo Cruz start on the field with JT in goal.

Calvillo picked up two yellows and left the team at 10 men for the last 40 minutes. This is the third San Jose player to pick up a red card when playing for us.
    Partida picked his 5th yellow in 7 matches and was ineligible for the Phoenix game.
    Fuentes was subbed off at 58, Haji at the half. Both were ineffective at best. Fuentes is too weak to play against USL competition as well as being on the slow side. Haji runs hot and cold but mostly cold.
    Calvillo and Partida usually are good to have and consistent in their performances.

JT has been running hot and cold this year also. He was at his best when he came back from National Team duty, otherwise he has been mediocre and he is starting to sport quite the attitude and is starting to lose his support from the Reno fans. JT did have a good match but it was hidden by the very poor performance of the midfield.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  16. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4-2 loss at Phoenix. Very mistake prone but generally good fight to the end performance.

Fuentes started and was subbed off at the half. He alternated between being mainly a traffic cone on defense and being a turn over machine on offense. He did have one good defensive play when he dispossessed a Phoenix player and got a foul called. He was rightfully proud of himself as he is much smaller, weaker and slower than the Phoenix player. He celebrated the call and had a laugh with the Phoenix player.

Haji came on for Mendiola, who gave up a ridiculous PK, at 64. Haji had another poor performance this game.

LaCroix also gave up a bad PK.

Next game is on the 31st against T2 at home.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, it was mentioned on the Phoenix broadcast that Russell was frustrated by the San Antonio game plan being so altered by the late arrival of so many Quake players and the seeming insistence that they all start. Is this Almeyda’s idea or more likely Fioranelli?

Not having the Quake players practice at all with Reno then just show up to play (and look confused and out of sorts) has to cause friction for the Reno players that have worked so hard all season to build a winning team. Russell has done a great job juggling the lineup but being asked to insert players into the lineup that have not been training with his team seems counterproductive on so many levels.

I was disappointed with Fuentes against Phoenix. I thought he had a chance to step up and complete against a really strong team but instead he mostly hesitated and the first goal was on him for not aggressively tracking his man. I just got the impression that he was hiding at times instead of insisting on getting touches in the build up. I was glad he got subbed out.

Sorry to hear about the JT attitude thing. For some reason I’ve felt weird vibes from his body language all year. Maybe my perception has been colored by his facial hair but he just looks like a guy going though some kind of rebellion phase. There was an eagerness to his play last year that seems to be missing now. Perhaps he is more self focused than team focused right now?

2in10 repped this.
  18. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I assume it is hard for JT. He was starting for the senior team at the end of last season, looking to be a fixture and a new goalie comes around plus the Quakes retain Tarbell. I would question myself and be a little pissed at the same time. Someone does need to talk to him about patience but at 22, who wants to hear about that.

As a homegrown is he stuck to San Jose or could he be traded?

2in10 repped this.
  19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    He could be traded, but very few teams have ever done that. There are salary and roster spot perks to having a homegrown on your team.

I honestly think the Quakes are really high on his potential, but they have rarely played younger keepers in their team history. Good players like Bingham, Conway and even Joe Cannon had to ride the bench for years before they got much game time.

2in10 repped this.
  20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  22. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA

23. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
  24. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
  25. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
    0599460F-3A65-4F7C-B3AE-B474C347AEC8.jpeg and another 1868 FC signing!

2in10 repped this.