Reign 2019

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... Cost of living in Tacoma is significantly less than Seattle, so the players will be a lot happier down there pocketbook wise, but its also a good hour and a half drive away from Seattle, so the Reign just left their existing fanbase, corporate partners, etc. behind to move to a city that is 1/6th the size of Seattle with a significantly smaller GDP.

That being said, the Rainiers are building a new SSS in Tacoma for the Defiance (formerly S2), so that will definitely help with the team's profitability.

Long story short.. I think it hurts them with regards to corporate sponsors, but it could help them with regards to the fanbase as the Rainiers are used to bringing fans into games for niche/minor sports. I hope it is just a short term move and that they are able to move back to Memorial once the remodel is done.

2. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Realistically this was their best option. CenturyLink wasn't going to happen. They'll be playing in a SSS eventually, but this move does alienate the Seattle fans.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    This looks like an interim solution until the new stadium goes up in the parking lot. Had UW come up with the Stadium improvements they announced about 4 years ago but never did, it might have been different.

But with only 5K seating, about half of it endzone, it’s not going to help league or Reign attendance this year, in a year that will se decidedly lower league attendance until at least June.

Sounders 2 drew an average of 3,370 there in 2018. I would hope the Reign can do better.

Interesting that the Jersey sponsor ( Zulily) will be that same as the Sounders kit.

Let’s see... 2 hrs 21 minutes by car from my house in Portland.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    supporters & maybe some sponsors are indeed screwed by this..but,

looks like the best that could be done under the circumstances.

5. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shout out to the Predmores for their hard work and full transparency

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Well, if the Tacoma group is building a soccer-dedicated stadium, that's a good thing and probably means this will be a permanent move, yes?

7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #32 holden, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Seeing as how the Reign were stuck between a rock and a hard place, this is probably the best option there is stadium-wise in the Puget Sound area for the foreseeable future (Sounders don't seem likely to ever build their own SSS since attendance has remained strong, UW seems to have no interest in expanding their soccer stadium, and the Predmores don't have the financial wherewithal to go it alone). But the timing of this move is terrible. They should've remained at Memorial for the 2019 season as they had stated they were doing last summer and waited until near the end of this season to announce the move to Tacoma.

I am also very worried what this will do to attendance. It's asking a lot of the fans used to traveling to a central area of Seattle to now travel all the way down to Tacoma (as Yoshou stated, it's 1.5 hour drive, and if you don't have a car, it's over a 2 hour multiple bus ride). People didn't even want to have to travel to Tukwila which is much closer. So they're pretty much going to have to build up their fan base from scratch in 73 days. That seems to be asking a lot. Even if they have the full backing of the Rainers sales and marketing. FYI, The Rainers averaged 5,403 last season and S2 (now the Defiance) averaged 3,370. The Reign will have to hope they can do better than the Defiance did in their first season in Tacoma.

Also, here are some pics of the Cheney soccer setup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

toad455 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably. While you can never say never, it seems like a pretty good situation for the Reign.. If it doesn’t work out in Tacoma, they are more likely to close up than move back to Seattle. If it does work out, I’d imagine they’ll stay as long as they don’t need a significantly larger stadium.. Even then, the fanbase that would necessitate a larger stadium would be in Tacoma, so...

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a world cup year.. If the US women do well, that would be free advertizing.. The Rainers also do a fairly good job filling their stadium

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Firs, I'm greatly impressed with the Predmores' letter and the details it provides.

Second, Memorial Stadium is in a great location, but the field itself is terrible. And, I gather the stadium itself also leaves a whole lot to be desired.

Third, I don't know how good access is to the new facility, but I'm guessing it's actually pretty good. I'd love to hear from those of you from the area on this.

Overall, my impression is this, and the other additional owners joining the Predmores, is going to be really good for the Reign over the long term.

CoachJon, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    And that also depends how much the announcers mention the Tacoma Reign...

Well, sure, if they were a NWSL team they would have the 3rd best average. But they were only the 10th best of any PCL team in 2018 (and 21st overall for all of Triple-A). So I wouldn't exactly say they were the greatest at the sales and marketing of niche/minor sports teams.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium only holds 6,500 and they average 5,400. *shrug* That’s a pretty full stadium, IMHO. ;) Especially when you consider their MLB club is a steaming pile of crap that averages only 4-6 times that and has the weakest minor league system in the league.

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #38 holden, Jan 31, 2019
    You mean if one lives in Tacoma? There's plenty of parking and it's right off of a highway, so sure if you live nearby and have a car it's pretty good.

14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I dunno, if they were really so great at sales/marketing, you'd think they'd sell out all the games... But, as to the 2nd part of your statement, I'll give you that. ;)

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    cp's post pointed me back to this:

aren't these the most important points we're not talking about?

cpthomas repped this.
  16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I actually think this move will work out great for the long term.
    • The biggest selling point of staying in Seattle was attendance but the team never average more than 4.5k yearly on a consistent basis. Coupled with the high cost of living in Seattle and I don't think it's worth it.
    • Memorial stadium had a shitty pitch and now the team will be playing on grass (those pics look good @holden ) and moving to a brand new soccer specific stadium in 2 years.
    • We retained our 2 main coporate sponsors (Microsoft and BECU) and added new ones, Zulily, as well as added long term minority owners that are committed to soccer in the area. I fully expect them to also sign more local sponsors now that the move is official. Don't know much about Tacoma but one has to assume that there is less competition for sponsorship dollars in that market then in Seattle.
    • Last but not the least, yes attendance may or may not struggle this year due to the short time frame before the start of the season but long term I strongly believe Tacoma will be a better market for the team than Seattle.

cpthomas, Smallchief and blissett repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #42 SiberianThunderT, Jan 31, 2019
    If you're gonna be snarky and call them the Tacoma Reign, might as well use Germantown Spirit and Bridgeview Red Stars, right? (Heck, particularly in comparison to the Spirit - Memorial to Cheney is literally closer than Audi Field is to the MD Soccerplex.)

I know they officially dropped "Seattle" from their name, but IMHO that's a bit of an overreaction - it's still less than an hour from downtown. Otherwise, though, I agree that all the changes they've just announced are all good mid- and long-term moves.

blissett repped this.
  18. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Let's hope it works out. Tacoma has an inferiority complex vis a vis Seattle -- so it might be a good idea to get some Reign players to do PR in Tacoma soon -- and try to build civic pride for the local team. Rah, Rah, etc.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think this is good news for Reign. I lived in Seattle during the first two years of Reign and went to almost every game AND had Season Tickets for the Red Stars.

I know from the start that the Reign were not going to get much of the Sounders crowd, just like the Red Stars aren't getting much of the Fire crowd. Some, yes, but not overwhelming.
    The move may become a great thing in the long run. Tacoma will have a pro soccer team of their own to support with a grass field and nice stadium that sells beer (very important for pro sports, IMO). The drop of the Seattle name may end up being a good idea as well as now they can draw fans from all over the NW. Maybe become a Raiders of NWSL.

If Red Stars would drop "Chicago" from their name they would also have to drop "Red Stars" as a nickname, as that is a reference to the Chicago flag and not to Red Star Belgrade as some people think.

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Do fans in a state really care about the City moniker that precedes the name? I really didn't think it was a big deal. But if dropping Seattle means the team get more backing from the city of Tacoma so be it. I mean they can literally give them a brand new name and I won't care as long as the core of the team remained the same.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This I wouldn't like, though: I don't even live in USA, so dropping the Seattle part is not actually a very big deal for me; but I must admit I grew an affection for the "Reign" name and for the crest, so I wouldn't like any kind of "Western New York Flash to North Carolina Courage" change... :unsure:

22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    ---It's unfortunate that the city of Seattle couldn't come up with the money to renovate Memorial Stadium, though I read that is now on the drawing board, yes? I suppose if there had been a plan to renovate Memorial, it might have left the Reign with nowhere to play for a year, at least.

--Does it really take 1.5 hours to drive the 33 miles to Tacoma? Is traffic THAT bad?

--The Tacoma stadium seems weird for soccer--especially with the 2/3 grass, 1/3 turf field and given that, as I read yesterday, half or more of the fans sit in the "end zone", because of the odd configuration of the place. Not exactly good seats. But if they can average 5K or so at place, it does suggest that Tacoma has some potential as a fan base, especially if they build a standalone soccer stadium, which is supposedly in the cards.

--All of these points up the challenges facing new leagues. The Reign seem, to me, to be one of the best organizations in the NWSL but it's been held back by not having a proper venue for the team. Here's to success in Tacoma!

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, there is a bottleneck around Tacoma as you go down I-5. I remember driving from Seattle to Portland and always took account for the slowing of traffic around Tacoma. However, I grew up around Chicago so to me it was normal. I drive from the north side of Chicago to Toyota Park and it may take an hour and a half on a good day to see the Red Stars or Fire, and I would drive it anytime, every time.
    It all depends on your heart. How bad do you want to see the game. For me it would be bad enough and I would drive it even if it was three hours long. But that's me.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

This is odd because it was a condition of the hiring of the new Men’s soccer coach when they lured him away from Creighton, which has a wonderful stadium.

25. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    There are fans and then there are true fans, someone like you! To bad there are not more like you. With Tacoma being an hour and a half drive to get to games, and how that will play out in drawing the Seattle fan base, especially after reading some of the concerns of travel time in comments, it makes you wonder how LAFC would draw since most of the fan base traveling to downtown LA, would need to drive even further and in the LA traffic to get to the games.