Reign 2018

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Oct 2, 2017.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What bugs me is that we already had Katie Johnson last season and, in fact, I don't think we should have let her go: ok, she was some kind of a super-sub, back then, but you had the feeling she could grow into something way more relevant!

Reign Man, MiLLeNNiuM and holden repped this.
  2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could Seattle be saying adios to one of the originals? If the rumor is true, don't be surprised if a long time Reign player is elsewhere in 2019.

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well now you got me thinking that Rapinoe is leaving. I saw that she was selling her Seattle house, but I figured she was just moving in with Sue Bird or something. The only other originals left are Fishlock and Barnes.

blissett repped this.
  4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Well, losing any of those three would be a disaster.....

5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    pardon my French but I thought Fishlock's moving to Lyon?

blissett repped this.
  6. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Apparently it was reported by Canal+ (that's where that person who tweeted saw it). But I don't see any confirmation from OL, Seattle, or Fishlock.

Rather this tweet makes it sound like she's going to be back in Seattle next year:

Maybe she's going to OL on loan? (She's gone on loan every off-season since the NWSL started)

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This page published today on OL's website confirms that it's just a loan:

I am going to translate for non-French-speakers:

"OL women's team made a big hit on the last day of transfer market, Friday the 12th of September. Midfielder Jessica Fishlock joins Reynald Pedros' roster until the end of the season, on loan from American club Seattle Reign FC, where she was playing along with former Lyon's player Megan Rapinoe and where she just had to bow [to Portland] in play-offs' semifinals".

So it looks like Fishlock just changed her destination for NWSL off-season, from Australia to France. :coffee:

Reign Man, MiLLeNNiuM and holden repped this.
  8. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2019 needs & prospects

The league is still deciding about roster limits, which will probably be increased to 22 (which is 2 FEWER than the Reign had this year with the Boston Exemptions!), is still deciding about World Cup schedules and also still deciding on what to do about SkyBlue. Expansion is highly unlikely, but with this league you never know!

As per league rules all existing contracts were renewed -- it remains to be seen who will really be back, but it looks like, despite having the oldest team in the league, the bulk of our 2018 squad will probably be back at Memorial 2019. With the signing of Kellond-Knight and the end of the Boston exemption, we have two more international players than slots: that will need to be resolved. We will need a third keeper with Williams gone for the world cup. We need a striker, i would love to get Katie Johnson back, we never should've let her go, however Leon may be able to fill that need.

We have only one pick (9th overall) in the draft in January -- it's North Carolina's first round pick (we got that for Mathais). We traded away all four of our natural picks (we got Addo, Andrews, Leon & Spencer!). In the 2018 draft we claimed center back Ally Haran and right back Celia Jiménez Delgado; we had rights to them until Oct 1. I don't know what happened to Haran, but Jiménez Delgado led the Sounders Women to a title and then signed for 2018-19 with Roosengard in Sweden. We also at one point had rights to UW phenom Shannon Simon early in the season. It's possible one or all of those three could be back for tryouts in March.

Here are my player by player thoughts and predictions:

Addo Lizzy
    #11 forward 5'4" age 25.1, played 697 minutes, Ghana NT, requires an international slot
    Addo showed fantastic ability although she was a little slow to catch up to the physicality of the league. I have high hopes for her for next year and have no reason to believe she will be dropped. The Boston Dispersal Draft Exemption that allowed us to carry her without an international slot has expired so there will need to be some roster moves to keep her.

Andrews Morgan
    #12 midfielder 5'9" age 23.5, played 774 minutes, USA
    Andrews was very slow to find her feet, but in the last few matches of the season we saw why she was showered with awards in high school and college. If that progress continues i think she can be the centerpiece that the team is built around for the next few years.

Averbuch Yael
    #2 center back 5'10" age 31.9, played 90 minutes, USA
    Averbuch's terrible illness is not recent, but this is the first year it has prevented her from playing at all. Because of the expanded roster limits (due to the Boston dispersal) we were able to carry her on the roster all season. That won't happen again. A brilliant player and fantastic leader: i would love to see a miraculous recovery, but frankly, i expect a quiet retirement. She deserves better, but sport is brutal.

Barnes Lauren
    #3 center back 5'5" age 29.4, played 1,769 minutes, USA
    There is lots of talk that Barnsie is nearing the end of her career, and she even mentioned the R word in an interview at one point, but i think she has a few more good years in her. 2018 was one of the best seasons she's had on the field and we need her stable presence in the back. I'm pretty certain she will be back.

Bauer Maddie
    #26 CB/DM 5'8" age 23.6, played 16 minutes, USA
    I'm baffled as to why Bauer didn't get any minutes since the glimpse we saw in 2017 was pretty darn good, but she didn't and she got frustrated and moved to Sweden. We don't have her rights anymore. I worry we will find ourselves playing against her.

Betos Michelle
    #18 keeper 5'9" age 30.6, played 720 minutes, USA
    It is a luxury to have two starting quality keepers, especially two that are so different in their strengths and style. With Williams gone for the World Cup, Betos could be starter again. I'd love to hang on to Betos but she certainly deserves to be starting and i wonder if she is looking elsewhere. The NWSL has 9 teams and about 15 starting keepers so while she may very well stay with the Reign, i wouldn't be surprised to see her go to Europe.

Catley Steph
    #7 left back 5'7" age 24.7, played 1,525 minutes, Australia NT, requires an international slot
    A great season for us, she shows all signs of staying around and Vlatko certainly likes her. I think she's a lock, however as Australia has qualified for the World Cup we might be without her for 6 or 8 weeks.

Dallstream Kiersten
    #5 forward 5'6" age 30.6, played 163 minutes, USA
    Kiersten told me in pre-season that she didn't expect to make the team in 2018. No one else thought so either. But she did and the one game she played she was excellent. By all accounts she is a fantastic influence in the clubhouse. The NWSL has not yet decided what to do about roster limits, but we're not likely to have the luxury of extra slots next year. She ended the season with an MCL tear so she's likely to be injured most of 2019 if she doesn't retire.

Fishlock Jess
    #10 midfielder 5'2" age 31.7, played 1,627 minutes, Wales NT, has US green card
    Fish was not the force of nature she had been in previous seasons, but we were clearly a better team with her on the field than when she wasn't. And she wasn't on the field more often than ever before. She is now on loan to Lyon and it is a loan that gives Lyon priority. This is very interesting loan for two reasons: first, until now the hard and fast rule in the NWSL is that all loans must give the NWSL priority, and second, it means we will play a month or two at the start of the season without our Welsh dragon -- meaning for the first time in Reign history, Fishlock will not be the core the team is built around. She'll be back, and she'll play well, but it will be different. Wales failed to qualify for the World Cup so there is talk of retirement, and i think it's close, but not yet.

Johnson Jaycie
    #16 forward 5'6" age 23.5, played 5 minutes, USA
    I'm eager to see Johnson play. She spent the season recovering from injury, but in warm-ups she looked dangerous. She's fast and accurate. With the frustrations we had at striker this year i was quite surprised she didn't get any playing time. Unless there is some hidden reason for that lack of minutes other than youth and injury i think she'll be back and will be important.

Kawasumi Nahomi
    #9 forward age 33.0, played 875 minutes, Japan NT, requires an international slot
    Naho has slowed down a bit, but i think she has a couple more good years in her. However i'm fairly certain we won't see her in the blue and black in 2019. First of all Vlatko clearly was not crazy about her and she didn't get a lot of playing time -- there are rumors her fitness is not up to previous standards. In addition, in 2015 Japan called their players in to camp EIGHT MONTHS before the World Cup. While Naho hasn't played for Japan in a while, she is still called into camp, so i think that will dominate her 2019. Finally, we are short a couple of international slots so the club might let her go for roster reasons.

Kellond-Knight Elise
    #8 defensive mid age 28.2, played 0 minutes, Australia NT, requires an international slot
    The Aussie captain who Vlatko tried to sign ALL SEASON only to be blocked by NC's discovery claim. That discovery claim expired on Sep 22nd and the Reign signed her on Sep 23rd. She's going to be a core player. Australia is in the World Cup so expect her to miss 6 or 8 weeks.

Kleiner Alyssa
    #13 right back 5'8" age 25.5, played 414 minutes, USA
    I was quite impressed with her during her limited outings. Since i expect some departures at right back, i suspect she will be the starter at that position.

Leon Adriana
    #19 forward 5'1" age 26.0, played 152 minutes, Canada NT, federation player
    Yesterday in World Cup Qualifying Leon scored FOUR goals (against Cuba). I was desperately wanting to see her get more playing time this year. I expect her to be back. She will be away in France for 6 to 8 weeks. My only tiny concern is that there might be a fitness or clubhouse issue since she is so dangerous playing for Canada but never got on the field for the Reign or SkyBlue and SkyBlue practically gave her away.

Little Kim
    #8 attacking mid age 28.3, played 0 minutes, Scotland NT, requires an international slot
    No it's not wishful thinking on my part -- Kimmie is well entrenched as the captain at Arsenal. But we still hold her NWSL rights; that might matter. There were strong rumors early this season when she was seen at a game in Utah. England has switched to a winter season so it is now possible to play both there and here with only a little overlap. Should any NWSL team want to pursue the great Kim Little, they will have to make a trade with the Reign to do so. Scotland has qualified for the World Cup, so we won't see that happen this year, but perhaps next????

Long Allie
    #6 defensive mid 5'8" age 31.2, played 1,799 minutes, USA NT, federation player
    There were lots of rumors of retirement towards the end of the season -- she had a nagging injury and she signed a coaching contract with Barcelona for their camp on Long Island. However on social media she sounds as if she will be back. I will be a little surprised if she remains with the USWNT for the World Cup, so we may have her when other players are away.

McNabb Kristen
    #19 CB/DM 5'5" age 24.5, played 1,159 minutes, USA
    McNabb is a borderline player but Vlatko clearly appreciates her versatility, being equally good at two positions. Probably stays, but could be good trade material.

Nielsen Theresa
    #8 right back 5'6" age 32.2, played 1,744 minutes, Denmark NT, requires an international slot
    Theresa had several very poor games early in the season but bounced back well. She looked very good in the last few games. I don't think she will be back. The original implication with the signing was that it was for just one year, but she told me she was surprised at how much she enjoyed playing here. Her husband however, found the travel frustrating (he was here for the summer). Denmark was eliminated from World Cup qualifying today and i half expect Theresa to retire.

Oyster Megan
    #4 center back 5'8" age 26.1, played 1,890 minutes, USA
    Oyster was a revelation this year -- i don't remember her being this good with Washington or Boston, but she was excellent on the back line and i'm sure she will be back. I think she's part of the core, along with Catley, Andrews and Barnes.

Rapinoe Megan
    #15 forward 5'7" age 33.3, played 1,405 minutes, USA NT, federation player
    MVP. Will be away for the World Cup, but will still probably be our high scorer.

Spencer Jasmyne
    #22 forward 5'0" age 28.1, played 1,027 minutes, USA
    Spencer had a good season on the field and clearly inspired the team, as games just changed when she came on the pitch. I think she will be back. I certainly hope so! We Got The Jas!

Taylor Jodie
    #14 forward 5'6" age 32.4, played 2,178 minutes, England NT, has green card
    An incredibly frustrating season from a player who i think was over her head and/or just disinterested. I cannot fathom why Vlako kept her in every game -- especially considering the things he was saying about her on the sidelines. It seems extremely unlikely that she will be on the England team at the World Cup. I hope we've seen the last of her.

Utsugi Rumi
    #20 midfield 5'6" age 29.8, played 1,321 minutes, Japan NT, requires an international slot
    Still a core part of the team and i'm certain she wants to come back, but i expect a long camp from the Japan NT to keep her away from Seattle most or all of 2019.

Westphal Christen
    #21 right back 5'6" age 25.1, played 694 minutes, USA
    Westphal didn't play much because of our depth at that position and didn't impress when she got the chance. I don't expect her to be back.

Williams Lydia
    #1 keeper 5'8" age 30.4, played 1,530 minutes, Australia NT, dual citizen
    Williams is a solid, conservative, keeper who manages the backline well, and she's going to have yet another Aussie in the defense next year. She will be in France for 6 to 8 weeks.

Yáñez Beverly
    #17 attacking mid 5'8" age 30.2, played 1,176 minutes, USA
    While injuries kept her out part of the year again i think Bev had another very good season in the midfield, her natural position. I would hope to see her again in 2019. She gets along with Vlako and does not have World Cup commitments so i think she's likely to be back.

Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think she's been one of the most underrated defenders in the league since she turned pro. Of course, it's not all down to Oyster, but I'd say she definitely has had a positive impact on all of the clubs she's played for...

Washington goals against:

Boston goals against:

Seattle goals against:

(GA in red are years Oyster played for the team.

Her time with Washington stood out enough for Jill Ellis to call her into camp. Sure Boston wasn't that great the year she played with them, but their defense did improve. It was the fewest GA they allowed and first time they weren't last in GA (they were actually 6th best) since 2013.

Blaze20, blissett and Reign Man repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Excellent review and I agree about most of your predictions. :thumbsup:

We still have no news about Nadeshiko Japan training camps for 2019, but it's a sure thing that Takakura will want to prepare her players early and extensively for the World Cup, so you're probably right that Kawasumi and Utsugi won't be available for most of the season. Naho had already left Seattle Reign FC before WWC 2015, to better prepare for it with NT.

Reign Man repped this.
  11. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the excellent chart!

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Silly to say that Taylor was "disinterested or over her head." She was neither. She has a sophisticated, subtle game as a center forward--not physical, not blazing fast, but she can score. She was one of England's stars at the 2017 Euro Championship and will surely be on their (good) World Cup team.

Otherwise, next year could be a tough one for Seattle what with Fishlock missing a large chunk of the season and all of the players, starting with Rapinoe, who will gone for the World Cup. And the WC players are going to need recovery time after the event ends. Seattle's got a lot of holes to fill.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But she missed a lot of easy clear-cut chances in NWSL: did you follow the league or are you just talking on the basis of what she did in NT one year ago?

After Euro 2017 I was a believer too when I heard the news of her signing, but her subsequent season in Seattle was frankly disappointing.

14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

I watched a lot of Reign games. Yea, she missed some chances--what forward doesn't? She's not as good as Kerr--has a different style for starters--but took half as many shots as Kerr and yet had 9 goals--5th in the league and the most for a Reign player. And of course the Reign like to play through Rapinoe. Taylor is amazingly efficient: She took 47 shots for the year (compared to 88 for Kerr) and 35 of them were on frame. That is an almost unheard of SOG percentage--incredibly efficient. By contrast, Rapinoe took 66 shots and 37 were on goal--and she had 7 goals for the season. Anybody who would replace Taylor and score more goals would have to take a lot more shots and be more of an offensive focus, which might not sit well with Rapinoe. I'm not suggesting that Taylor had a great season, but she was solid. I think it is easy to underestimate her because she doesn't have surpassing physical skills; hers is a high IQ game, which I appreciate. We'll see if the Reign can find someone better.