Reign 2017

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    re. the Crummer signing. I do not know much about this kid apart from the fact that she was really good a year or two ago but this year was a bit of a disappointment due to injury. Somewhere I read that she's a big presence in the box which should come in handy late in games. I like the idea of her and Katie Johnson (95% sure she would be signed) as options coming off the bench as they both give you something different. I would have preferred a speedy forward though. And I'm still waiting for the signing of a really good #6.

Depth chart
    GK - Kopmeyer, Schiffel
    LB - Utsugi, Pickett
    CB - Barnes, Corsie, Stott, Player X (Bauer)
    RB - Mathias, Reed
    DCM - Fishlock, Nairn
    ACM - Matheson, Elston
    LF - Rapinoe (Utsugi, Pickett)
    CF - Yanez, Crummer, Player Y (Johnson)
    RF - Kawasumi, Dallstream

2. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't hold out hope for the 6. I think the midfield is set with Fishlock, Matheson, and Nairn.

3. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like Utsugi at Keelin's #6 and i speculate that she was brought in mid-season when Winters told Harvey she was retiring, so i think that may be the plan. That only works though if Bauer is able to start at CB with Corsie & Stott (when Corsie is in Europe for Euro 17), then Barnes can play LB.

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    So Kopmeyer was just signed "through the 2018 NWSL season." (Her option had already been picked up for 2017, so I'm not sure if this is a 2 year contract replacing that option, or just a standard 1 year + 1 year option for the 2018 season). Anyway, it seems to be signaling that Solo will not be back with the Reign any time soon...

blissett repped this.
  5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    That is my thought as well. Maybe after confirming that Solo won't be joining, they offered her a new contract to solidify her job as the starter.

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Updated to modify Kopmeyer going from a 2/2 to a 1/2

Current squad (18/20)
    Goalkeepers (2)
    Haley Kopmeyer - 1/2
    Madalyn Schiffel - 1/2
    Hope Solo - unknown

Defense (7)
    Lauren Barnes (CB) - 2/2
    Rachel Corsie (CB) - 1/2
    Merritt Mathias (RB) - 1/2
    Carson Pickett (LB) - 2/2
    Elli Reed (RB) - 2/2

Rebekah Stott - 1/2
    Rumi Utsugi (LB) - 2/2

Midfield (5)
    Jessica Fishlock (B2B) - 2/2
    Lindsay Elston (CM) - 2/2
    Magan Rapinoe (LM) - 1/1
    Diane Matheson - (CM) - 1/1

Christine Nairn (CM) - 1/2

Forwards (4)
    Nahomi Kawasumi - 2/2
    Beverly Yanez - 1/2
    Kiersten Dallstream - 1/2

Larissa Crummer - 1/2

Rights (3)
    Veronica Perez
    Ariana Romero
    Morgan Marlborough

2017 Draft picks (3)
    6th overall pick - Maddie Bauer - CB - Standford
    16th overall pick - Katie Johnson - F - USC
    37th overall pick - Kristen McNabb - CB - Virginia

Outgoing from 2016
    Andi Tostanoski - waived
    Kendall Fletcher - retired
    Michelle Cruz - waived
    Keelin Winter - retired
    Kim Little - traded
    Havana Solaun - traded
    Manon Melis - retired
    Summer Green - traded
    2018 natural 1st round pick - Chicago
    2018 natural 3rd round pick - Washington

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One ACL... long process, but easy enough to come back from.

TWO ACLs (same knee)... I wonder if thoughts of retirement start creeping in.

blissett repped this.
  9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of thought the same thing. And I can't help but wonder if her rush to recover from the last tear, along with the other issues she had during her recovery, contributed in any way to her re-tearing her ACL. I get why she wanted to play in the last WC (it's not often you get to play a major tournament on home soil) but that might have done more harm in the long run.

Either way, sucks for both Matheson and Seattle.

holden repped this.
  10. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Tough loss for the Reign. I think now the 4-4-2 with Fishlock and Nairn as double pivots makes sense again. With Yanez and Crummer up front and Rapinoe and Kawasumi on the Wings. If they tried to stick with the 4-3-3, then I guess they could put Yanez in at the 10? Otherwise they'd have to put one of Yanez, Crummer, Rapinoe, or Kawasumi on the bench and replace them with Rumi Utsugi or Lindsay Elston as a DM?

Waiting for Andy to tell us why this is good for the Reign... :whistling:

Blaze20 repped this.
  11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I guess the 4-4-2 with the double pivot should work. Both Pinoe and Kawasumi are natural wide players so that should give us enough depth on the wings. I think though that if we play 2 forwards, Katie Johnson will start instead of Crummer. She's the more in form forward right now.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    The below is a story about the Reign Academy program but there's an interesting nugget at the end about former Reign player joining the organization as a coach in training. I excited that she's staying with the organization as I always thought she would make an excellent coach someday.

"Reign FC assistant coach, Sam Laity, will take over as coach of the U17 and U18/U19 teams this weekend and will see them through the rest of the ECNL season. He will also be taking on an extra responsibility as a mentor to former Reign FC player Steph Cox, as she looks to continue her coaching career.
    Steph is a young, up and coming, female coach. One of the things we want to do in our program is promote good, young, female coaches,” said Kevins. “Long term, Steph will aspire to take over and manage teams, and what we want to do is get her into that position.”"

https://thebold.net/seattle-reign-academy-look-ahead-to-texas-showcase-9b4a1ac6a1ae#.ewdxp8erc

blissett and holden repped this.
  13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I was figuring Crummer would be healthy and ready to go by the start of the season, though admittedly I don't know the timeline of her injury. When will she be able to return to training?

14. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Yeah, I think that is a big problem with players rushing back to quickly!

15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #90 Smallchief, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Sad. Matheson is a favorite of mine but realistically this is probably the end for her. I have said that, inch for inch, she is the best player in the world. (Well, Gorry might be just as good, inch for inch.).

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have bad memories of MacMillan rushing rehab for her ACL injury back in 2003, and looking nowhere near the player she had been before the injury. She probably could have had a longer career if she had taken the proper time to get fully healthy instead of trying to recover in 4 months.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Matheson's statement, she is planning to play next year and the year after. She says that this time, she will have the time she needs for a proper recovery. So, she herself isn't ready to call it quits.

blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As Japan wins by 2-0 at Algarve Cup 2017, Rumi Utsugi makes the assist for 1st goal. Also, 2nd goal comes from Rumi's middle-range shot being badly deflected by Icelandic GK. :)

By the way: I was at the game and, between other things, I got an autograph from Rumi. :giggle: Details in a multi-parter post on Nadeshiko Japan thread.

Blaze20 and zaku_II repped this.
  19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Chin up folks, it's the start of preseason. As we await the first list of players that are in camp, let's marvel at this very ironic headline.

blissett repped this.
  20. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I'll be in Seattle the weekend of the Orlando game. Any recommendation for sections in that stadium? One side better for avoiding being blinded by setting sun? I'm going as a general fan so no pref if there's home/away sections. Want to jump on them when single games go on sale.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Preseason roster is out ...

Goalkeepers (4): Haley Kopmeyer, Maddie Schiffel, Brianna Smallridge (NRI), Hanna deHaan (NRI)

Defenders (10): Elli Reed, Merritt Mathias, Lauren Barnes, Rachel Corsie, Carson Pickett, Anjel Brown (NRI), Maddie Bauer (Draft Pick), Kristen McNabb (Draft Pick), Rumi Utsugi, Rebekah Stott (NYR)

Midfielders (10): Veronica Perez (NRI), Christine Nairn, Jordan Jesolva (NRI), Haley Rosen (NRI), Annie Alvarado (NRI), Mimi Rangel (NRI), Lindsay Elston, Paige Nielsen (NRI), Jessica Fishlock (NYR), Diana Matheson (NYR)

Forwards (8): Beverly Yanez, Kiersten Dallstream, Megan Rapinoe, Nahomi Kawasumi, Katie Johnson (Draft Pick), Addison Steiner (NRI), Sydney Arnold (NRI), Larissa Crummer (NYR)

Apart from Perez (we have her rights I believe), I do not know any of the NRIs but that's cause I don't follow the college game. I'll say though I'm glad that the bulk of the NRIs are midfielders as we are pretty thin there.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NRI Hanna deHaan played for the U of Portland.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry, I am not familiar with the NRI and NYR acronyms... :oops:

24. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    NRI: Non roster invite
    NYR: not yet reported

blissett repped this.
  25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    NRI = Non-roster invitee - Players that attended trials and where invited to stay
    NYR = Not yet reported - Haven't reported to camp yet.

3/4 players that are NYR all played in the W-League for Melbourne City and won the championship so I can understand taking extra time off. Yanez is the only one that also played for City but is in camp. My guess is because she live stateside while Fishlock, Stott and Crummer are all internationals

blissett repped this.