Regis given free transfer by Metz

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Le David

Is mini-Ditka driving a mini-bus?

2. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    is the mini-ditka praying to a full sized God or mini-God?

So you're saying you think a slow footed Regis would weaken the LA Condors enough for the quakes to score?

Regis deserves better. He's so much better than Agoof, it's not even funny. Heydude & Burhalter started to cover a speed disadvantage problem we'd been experiencing. If we are so fortunate for stewart & him to come home, I will welcome them w/ arms wide open. PLS no Creed ballads.

3. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Da Quakes izzown the gaylaxy

4. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see Regis in MLS and would cheer for him like any other Nats team player.

5. RBourd52

RBourd52 Member

Jul 23, 1999
    Woodbridge, CT
    David Regis is as American as any citizen, whether born here or naturalized. If you don't agree, then you are saying that my forebearers who came here from France, Ireland, Scotland, etc. weren't "real" Americans either. Which I know isn't true. And unless you are 100% Native American, with this logic your ancestors weren't "real" Americans either.

I also hold him in great esteem after his classy reaction to getting benched on the eve of the WC. Privately it must have shattered him, but publicly he was stoic.

I have always have and will always root for David Regis. Hope to see him in MLS.

6. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regis may have been inconsistent with the USMNT but he would be a nice improvement for MLS. He is better than most defenders in the league.

Murf

7. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regis would be good for MLS, if we could afford his salary. He's a very good attacking defender, something that MLS would love to have.

8. Durl P

Durl P New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Florida
    Re: Le David

When relegated to the 2nd division the salary cap is different. I think in the 2nd division it is 12 million euros. Metz maybe financially capable of supporting the salaries, but just being in the 2nd division prevents them from paying too many high salaries.

Regis also had a relegation clause in his contract.

9. Durl P

Durl P New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Florida
    It's not a rumour; he has said it in several interviews. However, I don't think he wants to play in the MLS

10. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    Re: Re: Le David

My understanding was that the Metz relegation didn't go through because the 2nd div. team that would have replaced them didn't have the financial secutity to be in the 1st div.
    Has something changed?

11. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    They have a salary cap in france? I can't believe it. A guy I met once, who had played for Crystal Palace in the 50's, said a cap would never work in Europe. I wish i could see him now.

12. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

but still...other than young french up-and-comers, players go to france to die and by luck some players are reborn (like Anelka or Okocha).
    But how is the money situation with french teams? what are the attendence numbers like? Every french game i see on tv looks worse in terms of supporters than MLS.

13. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    Re: Re: Re: Le David

answered my own question.
    http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/f9167.html
    Sorry.

14. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Le David

Yes, and it should have been discussed upthread. As I understand it, Nice got a court order allowing them to play in the first division.

15. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    Get it right. We didn't want Jay-Jay to go. Jay-Jay wanted more money form PSG, which I thought he should have gotten. The club didn't want to pay much more and since he's got a great relationship w/ the club and I believe that his contract expired @ PSG next year, he was given a free transfer. He went to Bolton, so that tells ya how screw bally the market is and on a free transfer. Bitter about his departure since he was not only a great player but also pure class for PSG.

16. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Ronaldinho needs a reberth?
    curious.

17. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    As I understand it (I might be wrong) I am not sure that there is a formal salary cap in Le Championnet as there is in the MLS or NBA. I am fairly certain that the big clugs (Paris-St Germain and Olympique Marsailles) typically have much larger wage bills than the medium to smaller sides (Olympique Lyon, Auxerre, Monaco, Lens, et al). Rather, the media contracts, reduced attendance, loss in merchandise sales, etc would make it impossible for Metz to maintain their '01-'02 budget in the second division.

This is the same case as EPL teams that are relegated to the Nationwide League. They instantly 'lose' between £17 - £20 million due to the lower television contract and prize money in 1st Div vs Premiership.

18. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

Young up-and-comers, ace. Gremio isn't a giant, PSG just happened to make a good find but they'll have him out the door towards the end of this next season.

19. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I wont get finiky over the "ace" comment but in your original post it says "young <b>french</b> up-and-comers" which is what threw me off.

20. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, today's Columbus Dispatch mentioned that the Crew were looking to use their last discovery option on a defender in the next few days (and they are full-up on international players).

Either that, or they might trade the discovery slot to DC for a defender or future considerations.

Maybe it's Regis?

21. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    one bad player for another...

22. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

yeah, it was on the mind with the Escude situation, but it stands for all players it seems: either young talent or old hasbeens.

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    No you're not!!!! Our forebearers did NOT stay in France and just fill out a few papers in order to play for the USA team. Big difference. Regis is an American, yes, but not much of one at this point.

Now, back the the Regis/MLS discussion. Regis is NOT a horrible player. He's just not good enough for the USA national team anymore. He still can contribute to MLS and should be embraced. I'm not sure MLS can afford his salary demands, though.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    France's attendance is much much better than MLS. The last time I checked, it was over 20000.

25. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ben, he's an american. he is. his paper's say so. thats all customs need. and that is all he needs to play on the usmnt (as long as he hasn't been previously cap-tied). so don't give me that he speaks with an accent ************************.