Reds on Loan 2016/17 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jul 20, 2016.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Very very few players seem to make it back to their home club - I wonder if the blow to their confidence when they're loaned out makes it a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy ....

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I love the kid, but I've always stated he was due for the championship.

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    With players 21 and over I'd reckon you're right
    With the kids younger than that it can be a springboard to a run in the squad when they return.

4. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
  5. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    It might be a little controversial but I doubt a player like Carra would have made it in the current climate as at 19, 20, 21 or so carra was noway good enough to play CB...luckily he played within a team (out of position) and developed into a rock at 27 or 28......current players will never have the luxury

And it was difficult for carra to play his initial position of central midfield

Wingtips1 repped this.
  6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    good observation don, I agree with that.

the window of opportunity for the yoots is getting smaller each year. it will be interesting for example to see how Ben Woodburn and TAA work out, both definitely have talent and have shown already that they have the potential to grow into a spot on the first team squad ..... but will they be shown the patience?

7. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Yea, it will be interesting to see how TAA and Woodburn progress after the initial exposure.....as long as they are given the time and patience to succeed

I honesty thought Ojo was the next shining star but it just not happening at the moment although he still has time.....the question is how much?

8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that many clubs are happy to buy than promote from within. 'twas but, after all, a curious coincidence that Kane came to play for Spurs: the abysmal form of Soldado, the sacking on Villas Boas and subsequent appointment of Sherwood who stopped Kane from going back on loan (where he had not been great shakes at all) and the rest is history. Over at the skip, the moaning one would prefer Ibrahimovic to Martial and Rashford (another who, it must again be emphasised, broke through because of injuries and the lousy form of first choice rather than being outstanding prolific at U23 or U18 level.)

I'm hoping we nurture the likes of Wilson, Kent and Woodburn and persevere with Alexander Arnold, Ojo and Ejaria.

9. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Can.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, yes and him, too. There's the makings of a good player, there.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "I mean, he’s a flamboyant character. You can see it from his hair alone.” Sam Allardyce was back in wisecracking mode after his side’s impressive away win at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday. The subject of his affectionate mockery was the strapping 6ft defender with a lemon squiggle on his head, Mamadou Sakho.

The centre-half joined Palace in January with minimal fanfare. On loan from Liverpool until the end of the season, Sakho had in Allardyce’s words been “frozen out” of Anfield. His Uefa charge for consuming a banned fat-burning substance was ultimately dropped but, when Sakho turned up late for a club meeting during Liverpool’s pre-season tour of America and then a recovery session, it seemed to be the last straw for Jürgen Klopp. The defender was forced to train with the under-23s and did not feature for the senior side all season.

For all the controversy, though, Sakho remains a France international, the man who was made captain of Paris Saint‑Germain at the age of 17, an £18m recruit for the Anfield club and the standout performer in the Liverpool defence as they progressed to the Europa League final last season (his drug charge prevented him from making an appearance in the final, which the Reds lost to Sevilla). On Saturday, in only his second appearance of the season, he was the linchpin for Palace as they recorded back-to-back victories from a platform of back-to-back clean sheets.

“You’re slightly concerned when you take a player in the January window who’s been frozen out,” Allardyce said of Sakho, “but then again once you’ve got him fit – and we got him fit really quickly with the way he applied himself – we knew that you can’t play that many games for Liverpool and be a bad player. Certainly the lift he’s given us defensively in the two games he’s played has been exceptionally good.”

Sakho was clearly relishing the physical contest with West Brom’s equally statuesque centre-forward Salomón Rondón. His incongruous agility allowed him to get the better of the Venezuelan, nipping in to take the ball off his toe on more than one occasion and intercepting another opportunity with a diving header.

Allardyce knows a good defender when he sees one but he has also throughout his career been able to work with players whose reputations preceded them. From Andy Carroll to El Hadji Diouf and, some might say, the entire Sunderland squad, Allardyce has been able to find ways of coaxing performances from players who otherwise might find themselves in trouble.

“As managers we deal with players in different ways,” he said on Saturday. “Like if I’d have been harsh on Dioufy with some of the antics he got up to he’d have never played for Bolton. Sometimes you do it in a different manner. I’m not criticising Jürgen Klopp whatsoever about the way he runs his club or what sort of discipline he wants but for me I treat each individual differently. As for Sakho he hasn’t turned up late or not turned up anywhere up to now …”

Two performances do not make a comeback. It seems unlikely, however, that Allardyce, who admits that criticism in recent weeks as Palace struggled to find any sort of form “got under my skin”, will let Sakho take his eye off the ball. As for Klopp, when asked after his own victory this weekend about the future of the player who seemed likely never to play for Liverpool again, he offered a not entirely definitive “We’ll see”.

12. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Matip/Sakho as first pairing with Lovren/Klavan/Gomez in reserve....

delaynomo and newterp repped this.
  13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can only hope Klopp can come to a resolution with Sakho

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #39 SamScouse, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    that would be great imo. maybe the loan will wake him up, and if we get CL/Euro next year he'll want to be part of it. hard to say.

or ....he could end up like balotelli i.e. impossible to keep on track - although sakho's pre-LFC experience (AFAIK) didn't include any behaviour issues ... he captained PSG at 17.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  15. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Guy is a player for sure, one that we badly need. But he's well and truly p*ssed Klopp off. Not sure we'll see him again.

16. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  17. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Goalkeeper Danny Ward is set to return to Huddersfield's starting line-up for the second leg of the Championship Playoffs.
    The on-loan Liverpool stopper was banned for the first leg, with Joel Coleman keeping a clean sheet in his absence.
    Terriers boss David Wagner insists Ward will come back into the XI provided he is able to overcome the bout of illness which prevented him from training on Monday.

19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Danny Ward was the Huddersfield hero as the Terriers booked their place in the Championship playoff final with a dramatic penalty shootout win over Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

Ward saved spot-kicks from Sam Hutchinson then crucially from Fernando Forestieri to send his side through 4-3 on penalties after the sides had finished 120 minutes locked together at 1-1.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC