"Red, White, and BLUES" Donovan at Everton + Chelsea rumors?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Marko72, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. Ricketts has been a rock during his entire time with the team.

I haven't watched Lehmann play much lately, but he didn't impress me in his last year or two at Arsenal. He's at the end of his career and seems to be an enormous pain in the ass off the pitch. Give me both at their prime, I'd take Lehmann. Give me both now, and I'd pick Ricketts.

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lehmann is retiring so this is a non-issue.

3. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would highly recommend seeing the country.

I cant imagine a more perfect place to live than the California Bay Area. Perfect weather, beautiful mountains, beautiful ocean, etc. Marin county has to be one of the most majestic places to live in the world, and its right across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. North bay, south bay, east and west bay areas are all unique to themselves.

America is known for its beauty. It depends on what youre looking for. There are "Switzerland" type places, there are rugged mountains, great forests, mountain towns, beach towns, white sand beaches, crystal clear ocean, on and on. In America you can find almost every climate and ecosystem. Hawaii is the most ecologically diverse place on the planet.

4. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just saying that if the Galaxy loses Donovan, the worst thing Arena could do would be to induce Lehmann to pull a Favre.

5. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The story is b.s. I still think Lehmann is a better keeper than Ricketts, despite his being both older and batsh!t crazy. That said, it would make no sense for LA to blow DP money on a keeper. Ricketts is fine and the improvement wouldn't be so great that it would be worth the extra money. Lehmann has flat-out said that he is retiring. There is no substance to this rumor. Sure, if Red Bull offered him $2.5 million to play in New York for a year, who wouldn't take that? I still don't think it'd be a good idea. GKs are not worth DP slots.

6. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I don't think Lehmann is even being linked with Galaxy at all, it was NY if I remember right. So this debate is pretty pointless.

7. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me. I'm a Galaxy fan, I recognize all the signs of yet another moronic "Aging European Player Eager to Make Improbably Big Money Playing in MLS for a Team that Doesn't Need or Want Him."

I was just engaging in the Lehmann vs. Ricketts argument.

Which, I acknowledge, might in some quarters be seen to be subtly off-topic in this thread.

Of course, the thread itself is now inherently off-topic, so maybe two negatives make a positive?

8. chrisinho

chrisinho Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Back in HelLA
    I think that Landycakes would not have become the "Don" and done as well on Merseyside if he had remained in the Bay Area. Those tree-huggin', latte-sippin', hemp-wearin', veganazi proselytizin', ignore-the-homelessin', drive-the-poor-out-by-gentrifyin' granola-pop denizens of SF and Berkeley are SOFT. O-Town though, different story.

9. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can't not agree with that.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I love Angelenos... :rolleyes:

11. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US has an incredible diversity of beauty (as does the rest of the world). I've driven through every state and found them all incredible... then again I'm a geographer (by training) and I find most places beautiful in their own way. That said... I really don't like urban areas that much. I hated living in SoCal, and I cannot stand the traffic in the entire I5 corridor.
    I can't believe that anyone is complaining about our goalkeeping situation. Ricketts has been incredibly good over the past year. I think he's the best keeper in MLS. The only knock on him might be that he's injury prone. The last thing we would want to do is blow a DP slot on a keeper.

12. chrisinho

chrisinho Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Back in HelLA
    Don't even get me started on the Big Nipple. NYC would have driven Landon to take up semi-pro ice dancing, smoking cloves, wearing v-neck tshirts, jockin' a smurf hat and bemoaning his .5 room "brownie" in BK. Take your bodegas and babkas and stick 'em in your ear, you poofs.

13. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on where you are at.

There is an enormous population of Asian and European immigrants in the Bay Area, not to mention the obligatory Mexican contingent. The Chinese/Indian population in the area is very large. There is alot of political tension between those populations and the "SF and Berkeley" groups that you are complaining about. Prop 8 passed in large part because of the immigrant population and rural populations in California, but you would never know it by the volume of political rhetoric that comes out of LA and SF. Pont being...its a diverse area...as diverse as anywhere in the world.

14. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to that list (I cant find a description of what their data represents), the Bay Area is quite impressive in terms of what they call "racially diverse"...several towns are represented.

15. chrisinho

chrisinho Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Back in HelLA
    I call BS on this list.

Milpitas??? That city's full of Brian Chings

Daly City??? Puhleeze - that city's all Nick Rimandos

I don't see any diversity there whatsoever. Now where Landon lives, Manhattan Beach, that's more like it. Lawyers, doctors, trust funds, blondes, brunettes, gingers, surfers, beach volleyballers! SoCal diversity in full effect for real.

16. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we start getting posts like this in an LD thread, that means it's time to come to grips with the fact that he's no longer a YA for the moment.

Here's to hoping that the next Donovan thread we open around here is in celebration of his eventual return to Everton.