Red Bulls In 2016-2017 CONCACAF Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by EvanJ, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How Will The Red Bulls Do In The Group Stage?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2016.
  1. Win Group With 12 Points

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Win Group With 9 or 10 Points

37.5%
  3. Win Group With 7 or 8 Points

37.5%
  4. Win Group With 6 Points Or Fewer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Second Place

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Third Place

25.0%
  1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm kind of annoyed with the club for not comping the tickets to tonights match. Every year these type of games were included with the season ticket plan, yet this year we were expected to pony up a minimum $20 for tix. Further evidence of penny pinching. I'll make do with the free Facebook stream.

2. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Finished 1-1 despite being up a man for the final 15 mins or so, blech!

3. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seemed to be a lot of long crosses from the corners. Odd choice; it's not like we have Crouch there.
    With Dax gone, no one to head them in.

Woodrow repped this.
  4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Now that's some quality pre-season soccer on display tonight from both teams. I want a gif of Marsch's look of frustration after Collin played like his fourth simple pass off target.

The good:
    • Royer still looks solid, similar skillset as Grella. Don't know if he's much of a finisher though.
    • Long played well. I wonder if he has a shot at winning the spot over Perrinelle for the first game.
    The OK
    • Veron was active but no final product.
    The bad:
    • Bilyeu looked lost
    • Kljestan is so much worse on the right than in the middle

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey look! More of the same bullshit!

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Just once I'd like to see this team in a must win game come out with some sense of urgency.

miggly repped this.
  7. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope Lade or Murillo can grab that RB spot. Zizzo just doesn't do it for me out there, he's very MLS 1.0.
    Lawrence would have helped last night, too, with his energy down the left flank. Hopefully we can grab a win at BC Place.

I thought Long looked the part. He's a tidy player in the back which is to be expected of a former midfielder.

8. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    #58 miggly, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Who's up next in the PK taking dept? That's two huge misses in a row for SK. I guess putting a PK in the side netting is a dying art.

EDIT: Didn't realize Ousted was the keeper for BWP's two misses in one game back in '15.

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zizzo and Bilyeu were a big reason why our tactics didn't work last night. Yeah yeah I realize Zizzo put in the cross that lead to the goal, but they were not bombing up and down the wings nearly enough to pull the bus out of the center of the park to give Veron, Sasha, and BWP more room to operate.

When our fullbacks aren't posing a consistent threat out wide we become very one dimensional and ineffective in attack. Teams just pack the center of the park and shut us down.

He looked very good. Better than Collin for sure. However, it's one game. Need to see more.

10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the postgame BWP said he wants Sasha to take one more. Said he just needs one to go in to get over the confidence issues.

I have no problem with a saved PK. What I DO have a problem with is when player hits a soft shot or a shot that's way off target. Step up, pick a spot and rip it. Odds are in the shooter's favor. If you hit it decisively you're gonna score 9 out of 10.

11. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this assessment fully. It's part of the reason I thought we'd see some coin thrown out to acquire a RB this offseason. Maybe Murillo can be that guy.
    I thought we'd see someone with at least CONCACAF name recognition brought in.

12. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    When he stepped up to it I really hoped he wouldn't overthink it. Then he took a few seconds fumbling around with his shinguards instead of just taking the shot, and it was abundantly clear he was overthinking it.

Even when he was scoring Kljestan wasn't a particularly good penalty taker, his placement was never good enough to score if the keeper guessed right. When BWP was on fire with his penalties he was at least hitting the corner every time.

I vote Grella and Felipe up next.

13. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Shoutout to Aaron Long for only missing a single pass all game:

[​IMG]

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the supporters section and turned to my buddy and said: "he's gonna miss. Just watch"

:(

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long was excellent. Smallest of sample sizes but I hope we struck gold.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls